PDA

View Full Version : unfortunate company names

answer=42
21st Apr 2005, 12:59
Listen, I know this has been done before but I did a search and couldn't find it.

Just wanted to point out the unfortunate name of this company's (http://www.equinoccio.com/) internet service provider.

Onan the Clumsy
21st Apr 2005, 13:04
I'm sorry, I just stared at that page for about ten minutes and couldn't even see their company name...

...oh wait a minute :ugh:

sounds like they're from the same country that had Banco de Ponce :=

IFTB
21st Apr 2005, 13:07
There are a few of them (http://www.arcelikvoleybol.org.tr/) around. :eek:

Tuba Mirum
21st Apr 2005, 13:35
Have you seen the lorries on the road bearing the company name "Joda"? My memory of Spanish tells me (correctly?) that this is the polite imperative form of the verb "to b*gger".

Are they trying to tell us something? :confused:

Capt.KAOS
21st Apr 2005, 14:38
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/signs/sign12.jpg

Grainger
21st Apr 2005, 15:22
Welcome to Pen Island! The best pens on the internet!

That's right. Pen Island

You can guess what their Internet site is :eek:

gruntie
21st Apr 2005, 16:30
How about a ride with this bus company:

German coaches (http://www.fuecker-reisen.de/site/html/busse/shdl.html)

Parapunter
21st Apr 2005, 17:02
There is an estate agent in Grand Bornand, Savoie called Jean-Bastard-Rosset. Quite apt really.:cool:

AerBabe
21st Apr 2005, 17:17
There is a coach company in Olney, Bucks of the name 'Souls'. Founded by Richard Soul, in my childhood their coaches sported the name 'R. Souls' on the side. Now they're just 'Souls'. :(

Irish Steve
21st Apr 2005, 19:20
Not a company name as such, but a battery charger manufacturer in Italy managed to get their first web site set up with the name powergenitalia.it.

They got dog's abuse over that, and have now changed the name:D

Davaar
21st Apr 2005, 19:24
I treasure the Notice to Shareholders for the AGM of XXXXX Brassieres (Holdings) Limited.

simon brown
21st Apr 2005, 20:03
Norbert Dentrissangle is my favourite

SuperOwl
21st Apr 2005, 21:40
I passed this place the other day while out on my motorbike. Needless to say I nearly fell off laughing.

Link (http://www.google.co.uk/local?hl=en&lr=&cr=countryUK|countryGB&q=mr+hand+job&near=Doncaster&sa=X&oi=locald&radius=0.0&latlng=53523041,-1133762,13619972766727782290)

ShyTorque
21st Apr 2005, 21:46
There's a transport company called I. C. Butt, often see their trucks on the motorway.

Unwell_Raptor
21st Apr 2005, 21:53
There is a theory that Norbert Dentressangle owes his wealth to the length of his name.

Any truck shorter than forty feet could not fit his name on the side, so he came to be on the winning team of mega- Eurotrucks.

Whirlygig
21st Apr 2005, 22:10
When I worked as a Government Scientist in the 80s, I used a piece of equipment called a Wayne Kerr meter.

It's true. I kid you not. They still exist!

Cheers

Whirlygig

B Fraser
21st Apr 2005, 22:13
I used to work with a bloke called Ewan Kerr

anyway.... back to the topic

AntiCrash
22nd Apr 2005, 00:59
Store west of Fort Lauderdale called SOFA KING ! How big are their sofas? They are SOFA KING Big!

seacue
22nd Apr 2005, 03:48
Not off-color, but when I first spent time in Colorado many years ago there were vast numbers of huge semi-trailers on the roads labeled PIE. I couldn't understand why so much pie needed to be transported - until I discovered they were trucks of the Pacific Intermountation Express. Sadly the name has disappeared.

Parapunter
22nd Apr 2005, 08:25
You purveyor of dishonesty Mr Shy Torque. They're called C. Butt, not I.C. Butt.

Still funny though

enicalyth
22nd Apr 2005, 08:42
Along with Vauxhall Nova (It doesn't go in spanish) the famous pommie firm of truck makers Foden were marketed Poden in Portugal because Foden means, er... donald ducked.

Parapunter
22nd Apr 2005, 08:55
Just on that theme, Seddon Atkinson lorries, are often known as Sudden Accident in the trade & dennis as Dunn-us.

gruntie
22nd Apr 2005, 09:03
And then there's the legendary Beaver Liquor ....

Blacksheep
22nd Apr 2005, 09:04
I've also used Wayne Kerr's equipment Whirly.

I especially like their Impulse Testers that can measure differential area size, flutter value and corona value. Their A.C. Power Supply Units are highly regarded for fast transient response and very good regulation, but best of all perhaps, are their D.C. Power Supply Units with their single, triple and even quad outputs. ;)

IFTB
22nd Apr 2005, 09:18
Ah yes Whirly ! The old Wayne whatshisname equipment! With their comprehensive measurement functions providing all the well-known measurement parameters: Impedance |Z|, Admittance |Y|, Phase Angle(?), Reactance(X), Conductance(G), Susceptance(B), Inductance(L), Capacitance(C), Quality Factor(Q), Dissipation Factor(D), DC Resistance(DCR).
Continuous frequency range from 40Hz -10MHz
Providing a continuous Variable frequency from 40Hz~ 10MHz at 1Hz step resolution, test all components at the desired test frequency, allowing a component to be test at a actual operating frequency including a Graphical sweep function and a capability to graph the parameter against frequency or AC drive level. It characterizes a component graphically, which helps the engineer understand how the component perform under different conditions.
And on top of that it is fast! Accurate! Repeatable!
Testing components is easy with 6420 Impedance Analyzer. just connect the component and the analyzer accurately measures the component value displaying selected primary and secondary. with a basic accuracy of 0.1%. Connection to the component is made using one of a range of 4 terminal Kelvin connectors.
Excellent performance !! Frequency up to 10MHz !!

Exeedingly good equipment Mr Kerr produces!
:ok:

RAC/OPS
22nd Apr 2005, 22:34
Seen on the back of an aerospace mag. An ad for Siemens. A little girl and her mummy waiting for daddy to arrive on the plane. The caption: "Is he coming?...no he's not...is he coming?...no he's not" etc

ShyTorque
23rd Apr 2005, 00:50
Parapunter,

My apology, you are of course correct.

I was also thinking of the RAF Odiham weather forecaster of a few years ago, who was named I. C. Gale.

Whirlygig
23rd Apr 2005, 00:56
Whe-hey!!

We ought to form a Wayne Kerr Appreciation Society :ok:

Thanks guys for reminding what they did - it's so long go now :{

Cheers

Whirls

Volmet South
23rd Apr 2005, 09:58
Not so long ago, Seimens had an office in Staines :}

Atlas Shrugged
25th Apr 2005, 11:37
There was a place on Parramatta Road, Annandale back in the late 1950's that manufactured articifial limbs. I believe the name of the company was Glasscock & Ball Pty Limited

Paraffin Budgie
25th Apr 2005, 11:59
And isn't the Misubishi Pajero called the Shogun in Europe because Pajero means [email protected]r in Spanish?

Pinky the pilot
25th Apr 2005, 12:40
The garden fertiliser supply company in Port Moresby PNG back in the early 1990's called
'Mr S**t'
He went broke in the late 90's after trying to enter National Politics!!:suspect:

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

atyourcervix73
25th Apr 2005, 16:51
Slightly off topic....

Course instructor..on whose words we must rely apon and take as the true spoken gospel. His name?

Captain. B. Little

priceless!:p

joe2812
25th Apr 2005, 17:04
A company near me 'Weenas'

Has a nice sign on the front 'Parking for Weenas Only'

Blacksheep
26th Apr 2005, 06:07
While coasting around the Singapore shopping malls with the beloved, we came across a shop called "Wanko"

No kidding! (http://www.wanko.com.hk/wanko-collection.htm) :ooh:

Mrs. B particularly likes the Tweed Collection, especially their black suit.

BTW, the model is actress Carina Lau. Mrs B is much better looking... :ok:

MadsDad
26th Apr 2005, 08:17
I haven't noticed anyone mentioning the name of the French soft drinks company yet.

Pschitt.