PDA

View Full Version : Favourite lightweight yet durable suitcase / luggage

brockenspectre
21st Apr 2005, 10:45
Hi all - Just wondering what is the current favourite lightweight/durable suitcase for checked baggage?

I bought my trusty hard-shell Samsonite case probably a decade ago now and while it is still serviceable - despite looking much-travelled - it weighs quite a bit even before I start packing and when I have finished its upwards of 25kg!! I am sure the market these days, must have new/lighter materials providing similar protection so ... what case would you recommend?

PilotsPal
21st Apr 2005, 11:25
Brocky

Check your PMs.

Well, I tried to send you a PM but I think you might need a clear-out!

brockenspectre
21st Apr 2005, 13:23
Hi PP thanks! Unfortunately there is something amiss with my proon-mail/PM set up as my usage is always <1.0%. I have complied with every suggestion from Admin and yet folks still can't contact me! :rolleyes: :ok:

PS I will look at mails/PMs this evening when I get home as I can't access them here in the office grrrrrrrrrr

PilotsPal
21st Apr 2005, 13:37
OK - I will probably catch you in chat at some point.

Final 3 Greens
21st Apr 2005, 13:46
I like Rimowa. Corrugated lightweight plastc, very light, very tough.

Gouabafla
21st Apr 2005, 14:10
I always use a soft bag of some sort (I've got a variety in different sizes). Anything that needs protection from knocks gets wrapped up inside my bath towel. This seems to work nicely.

I always carry my laptop in a Targus backpack rather than a briefcase type of thing. It's slightly less obvious and it has useful pockets for water bottle and such like.

KC-10 Driver
21st Apr 2005, 14:49
I have a great, very durable, metal framed roll-aboard that I bought at LuggageWorksOnline. A lot of airline pilots in the U.S. use the same bag.

Not the lightest, but can take a real beating. Plus the company will refurbish the bag when it needs it (for a fee, of course).

The website is:

LuggageWorksOnline (http://www.luggageworksonline.com/)

Don't know about shipping to the U.K.

PAXboy
21st Apr 2005, 15:22
I was a confirmed fan of Delsey for many years but, in the last five, I have moved over to Samsonite. This is both for my largest, the mid-size and overnighter that is cabin legal even in Y and is also a roller.

The largest case is of a very light construction that appears too flimsy when open but has a clever interlocking lid and base that makes it very strong when closed.

Trying to find one case that meets all requirements (and is reasonably priced!) is very difficult. I have spent many hours working through luggage departments and finding nothing that suits.

Pax Vobiscum
21st Apr 2005, 17:17
I've nothing but praise for my Samsonites. One is over 20 years old and still serviceable. I remember watching it being offloaded from a train in China by the simple expedient of lifting above the head (must have been a helluva strong porter!) and dropping it 3 metres onto the platform - not a scratch!

SLF
21st Apr 2005, 20:58
Hmmm, spent many hours in pursuit of the perfect piece of luggage, currently use a variety of bags according to length of trip.

Samsonite hard shell with built-in suit carrier - Long Haul or > 4 nights
Samsonite soft-sided carry-on for up to 4 nights, laptop bag slips over handle
Travel Gear combined carry-on with laptop pouch for over-nighting

Still looking, for us luggage-istas, there's always a better bag out there :ok:

reynoldsno1
21st Apr 2005, 23:40
Bought a Samsonite "soft" set from Sam's Club years ago.... still going strong, and nothing broken inside.....yet

Boss Raptor
22nd Apr 2005, 07:48
Argos 'Argo' - Carlton solid shell suitcase around £55 from memory - mine is now 8 years old, used average 2 x a month and no problems at all - bear in mind I use it to carry aircraft docs/manuals way over 25kg (40kg +) and also bring my shopping home from Spain in it I think thats pretty good

PAXboy
22nd Apr 2005, 13:44
"for us luggage-istas, there's always a better bag out there" Ahh, SLF, purple prose indeed. I have never thought of myself as a luggage-ista but, having seen the word, now realise the truth. :uhoh:

Yes, I can never walk past a luggage shop without pausing to see if someone has finally invented the ultimate suitcase. You know, the one that will have the answer to the big question of Life, the Universe and Everything. Or am I mixing this up with something less important than luggage?

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Kolibear
22nd Apr 2005, 13:57
Mrs K has an eye-watering canary yellow bag for her luggage. It may not be very hi-tech, but it never goes missing and we always see it on the carousel.

redsnail
22nd Apr 2005, 17:10
I use a Tripp Hard shell case for my sojourns. It's capable of being put in the overhead locker and isn't too heavy.
It's very strong (needs to be) and is lockable by both key and number code.
It's been kicked around the back of Sheds (SD360's), chucked into the holds of A320's, B737's and now dumped in the back of a Hawker.
I also shove a fairly heavy nav bag on top and the extender arms are still functioning.
I got it at Debenhams, I think it was about 55 quid. Money well spent.

timmyneedham
22nd Apr 2005, 20:45
eastpak 'around the world' - very light and holds loads. v durable too but not cheap.

tn