PDA

View Full Version : How to become a freight dog

outthere
20th Apr 2005, 21:03
Hi fellow pilots,

I am a student pilot in australia with 4 hours up so far. I have always wanted to fly (a jet fighter pilot in the RAAF), but my weight let me down. I am always looking at aircraft and cant get enough of being up in the sky learning to fly. Just wondering what the path is to follow to become a freight dog. It sounds very interesting.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeremy Nunn
www.ozaircraft.backpackersharetravel.com

Sorry I just looked down the list and found my answer.

Ignore my post.

jpsingh
21st Apr 2005, 10:23
Well, its kind of strange that you wanted to be a fighter jock and now are interested in being a freight dog !! I have done that flying for about seven to eifgt years and am back to Airline flying. Freight flying requires you to be able to work your timings around as all flying is primarily at night and only your copilot for company. No galley so no hot meals and no one to serve you!! The additional problem is that you are on a different clock from your family and friends so social life becomes practically nonexistant. At your age ,probably its good for experience but definitely not a long term career.
The positives are that night flying is peaceful,less turbulent and relatively less traffic (This ofcourse will depend on the routes that you do)). Having done both, I would any day opt for Airline Flying !!

fights on
7th May 2005, 04:50
Son as a former anchor clanker (Navy fighter guy) as I can say is
"IF YOU CAN EAT FOOT THATS BEEN SITTING ON A TRAY IN THE HALL WAY ALL NIGHT" then maybe you can be a Freight Dog

Son as a former anchor clanker (Navy fighter guy) all I can say is
"IF YOU CAN EAT FOOT THATS BEEN SITTING ON A TRAY IN THE HALL WAY ALL NIGHT" then maybe you can be a Freight Dog

Onan the Clumsy
10th May 2005, 17:50
and it looks like that IS all you can say ;)

Solid Rust Twotter
10th May 2005, 19:14
Is that a foot long hot dog or the actual toejam encrusted hoof?

Miles Offthe-Target
15th May 2005, 04:29
If he's a Navy Fighter Guy my foot's a kipper! Even 'fish head' pilots are more articulate than that, although thinking about it, perhaps he means that he plays his Playstation 2 whilst in the bath.

As for freight dog flying; I am ex Air Force aircrew and quite enjoy flying freight; uncongested airspace, no passenger hassles, easy slot time availability etc.

Could do worse.

M O-T

BenThere
22nd May 2005, 13:41
I've done night freight, biz jet, air force and major airline flying over a long career. I have to say, all things considered, the freight job was the best. Lots of layover time, high ratio of soft to hard pay hours, less formality, good pilots and people to work with, and on and on.

To be certain, there are drawbacks, like head nodding in fatigue, grubbiness after a long, hard day, having to drink a beer at 7 AM so you can sleep, and others.

But I'll stick to my claim it's the best overall. To get there, you want to build jet, preferably heavy jet, PIC. Build a good reputation, treat others well, have a lot of buddies who one day will help get you in.

Jal787
22nd May 2005, 16:48
I am very much interested as well. I would love to get on with Jal or Nippon cargo. As an American I know we have many pilots working there, but how do they get on there? What kind of flight time/and type ratings do you need?

ASSFO

capt. skidmark
3rd Jun 2005, 10:51
You might be a freight dog if...

Your airplane was getting old when you were born.
You have not done a daylight landing in the past six months.
ATC advises you of smoother air at a different altitude, and you don't care.
When you taxi up to an FBO they roll out the red carpet, but quickly take it back when they recognise you.
You call the hotel van to pick you up and they don't understand where you are on the airport.
Centre asks you to "keep the chickens down" so they can hear you talk.
Your airplane has more than 75,000 cycles.
Your company call sign is "Oil Can".
The lady at the FBO locks up the popcorn machine because you plan on "making a meal of it".
Your airplane has more than eight faded logos on it.
You wear the same shirt for a week, and no one complains.
Centre mispronounces your call sign more than three times in one flight.
Your D O mysteriously changes your max. takeoff weight during the holiday season.
Every FBO makes you park out of sight of their building.
You have ever walked barefoot through the FBO because you just woke up.
You mark every ramp with engine oil.
Everything you own is in you flight bag and suitcase.

so true!

capt. skid