PDA

View Full Version : Why are Americans such a rotund bunch?

Onan the Clumsy
20th Apr 2005, 21:32
[Cheap shot]

Mmmmmmmmmmm (http://www.swansonmeals.com/WebPortals/Default.aspx?tabid=86)

Afterwards ---> :zzz:

[/Cheap shot]

Jerricho
20th Apr 2005, 21:33
One and a half pounds of food? That's some heave crap....... :E

reynoldsno1
20th Apr 2005, 21:44
On more than one occasion whilst living in the US, my "main" course was assumed to be my "starter"...

pilotwolf
20th Apr 2005, 22:03
Most people are fat - irrelevent of race/creed/etc for one simple reason....

The hole the food goes in is (usually!) bigger than the one it comes out of!!

:)

PW

Dead_Heading
20th Apr 2005, 22:05
It'd hard to tell with some pepole which is which...

candoo
20th Apr 2005, 22:07
Jamie Oliver will be on the case - no need to panic.

BOFH
20th Apr 2005, 22:19
Someone tattooed on my forehead (in ink invisible to me) - fat Poms, please sit either side <-here->

It always seems to work.

I'm a bit bigger than average - 6'2" and 180 lbs - but I am amazed at how many people are wider than I on the Tube. I just fit in one of the killing pens, with a 33" waist.

BOFH
(It was 31" four years ago :eek: )

Jerricho
20th Apr 2005, 23:09
6'2" and 180 lbs

Slender reed ;)

tinpis
21st Apr 2005, 03:53
I think there neads to be a wake up call in Aussie as well.
Just check out the contestants on "The Price is Right ! "

A large percentage of them would be morbidly obese.

Or is it only fat people that go on game shows??

Come to think of it is it only no- life people that post on this site watch this show? :}

Jerricho
21st Apr 2005, 04:13
Just check out the contestants on "The Price is Right ! "

Just watching that alone could drive a person to drink.......or eat.

Loose rivets
21st Apr 2005, 06:06
It's a real problem here, (85% Hispanic) the newfound disposable income seems to be spent on food...and a truck to haul it in.

Some poor souls stand at the check-out with a trolley piled high with nosh, while trying not to wobble the fat that is hanging over their thighs...the fat of which is hanging over their knees.....a.i.

It causes added problems to these people, who already have a far greater risk of diabetes.

I am the only person that I know of that goes shopping on a bike. Odds are that I will be run over, while trying to maintain my svelte 6' 190lbs.

( Word perfect thesaurus. Svelte--- gracefully slender; moving and bending with ease.) HAHAHAHA Yea, right! Mrs LR is still laughing.:}

poorwanderingwun
21st Apr 2005, 07:27
Bit of a pointless Q....They're fat because they have childrens tastes in food...
Doughnuts....Chocolate millk shakes...Cokes, 'burghers 'supersized', 'with all the trimmings'...etc. ad-nauseum (quite literally)....

Capt.KAOS
21st Apr 2005, 08:54
Now that's what I call a WMD. Better inform Kaiser George...

Jerricho
21st Apr 2005, 08:59
WMD?

Waistline of Mass Destruction?

Waistline of mega death?

(Now there's a name for a band if I ever heard one)

allan907
21st Apr 2005, 10:50
Nobody commenting on the pixelated thingy on the bottom of the chicken pack? Is it a brand name? Are they ashamed of it? I think we should be told.

'Twould have kept the Jarrow marchers going for a fortnight that lot.

Jerricho
21st Apr 2005, 10:52
That's the free coronary artery bypass surgery token. Collect all six............. :}

Taildragger55
21st Apr 2005, 12:18
A large percentage of them would be morbidly obese.

I'm not morbidly obese.

I'm really quite cheerful.

Paterbrat
21st Apr 2005, 18:33
All relative, supose it depends on how big you are Onan? Would hazard a guess and reckon that a few countries citizens would probably reckon you were a bit of a porker.

BOFH
21st Apr 2005, 18:50
Jerricho

Slender reed?

I bloody wish, mate.

BOFH

BahrainLad
21st Apr 2005, 19:14
Have just moved to NY for 3 months with two colleagues.

There seems to be an interesting socio-economic concept in play.

If we go out for an inexpensive bite to eat, such as to a diner, tapas place etc., we'll order a starter to share and then one entree each - no desert. Otherwise, count on feeling bloated for the rest of the evening.

The only full 3-course meal I've had here that hasn't made me feel bloated for the next 24 hours cost $130 a head.

In short, cheap fast food is enormously sized and expensive, gourmet food isn't. Thus, the lower levels of society get fatter...also no gym memberships!....and cannot afford the long term care needs arising from diabetes, heart failure, liver failure etc.

Me, I'm jogging in the park every evening to keep it off (he says whilst 'drinking' a caramel frappucino no doubt laced with calories...)

(Another interesting thing: Pret a Manger have just opened in NYC. Their UK-size sandwiches are about twice as expensive, bread-for-bread, as their freshly made US competition. I don't think they'll be around for long!)

Loki
21st Apr 2005, 21:33
Mrs Loki and I were staying in a hotel in Jasper year before last. Pitched up for breakfast and did our usual thing. The dining room appeared to be full of yank tourists, barely able to see over their plates. The waitress serving the coffee looked with disgust at the other tables, spotted us and said "gee, I guess you guys are from Europe"

They did seem a rather portly bunch.

Send Clowns
21st Apr 2005, 21:36
Isn't Pret a Manger still owned by McDonalds, BahrainLad? Would be surprised if they mistook the US market that badly!

Ontariotech
22nd Apr 2005, 05:53
Well after all, if you are a Fat American, you always have the other love of America....why not sue someone else for a decision you made.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/world/newsid_2153000/2153921.stm

Cesar Barber actually thought that the fatty foods were good for him? Just like sticking a gun to your head and pullng the trigger is good for you. Or smoking a pack aday.......wait a minute, that is good for you...because then ....Yup, you got it....You can sue someone else, for you making the decision of stiking a white tube full of tar covered plants in your mouth and setting it on fire. :yuk:

And this not only applies to Americans, It covers Canadians, UK, French and anywhere else where people think Grease in the Heart is good for you.

Paterbrat
23rd Apr 2005, 17:57
There does seem to be an answer albeit expensive and painful to the fat problem. Have it surgicaly removed.
Looked truly macabre however I suppose if you accept the chance of dying on the table it is a quick fix.

Pretty soon it'll probably be possible to get it done in NHS on the grounds that it's cheaper in the long run then all the associated longterm problems that will soak up more cash in the long term. No garantees on the odds though and you'll have to sign the waiver!:E

1DC
23rd Apr 2005, 21:28
Only in America do you order a double cheeseburger, large fries and a diet coke.

WhatsaLizad?
23rd Apr 2005, 23:47
I'd have to agree that the portions served are out of line and some of my fellow citizens are growing quite large.

If however, I may return the volley :E , where exactly on your UK Isles do you keep the cute lassies? From my visits through LHR,LGW,MAN, it has seemed that percentages of keepers compared to the US in the average group of people is pretty slim.

Can always put a portly cutey on the treadmill, I don't know what you can do across the pond except trun out the lights:}

Cheers

Onan the Clumsy
24th Apr 2005, 00:30
Yes, we've Got to take that one on the collective chin.

Still the US can't do Matrons like we can :O

Sensible shoes, blue serge skirt and a stifly starched, amply filled white blouse. :ok:

Phwooooar!

tony draper
24th Apr 2005, 00:57
I think something drastic has occured in the human frame, some genetic flip perchance, my generation were raised on a diet of pure stodge yet we remained for the most part slim,Draper is the same weight now as when he left school many moons ago, actually a couple of pounds lighter according to ones bathroom scales,and one was something of a gannet in ones younger days, don't eat as much now but one can still trough a entire Gateau unaided and suffer no ill effects weight or girthwise.
There were a few chubby folks around but they were a rarity,seemed to me from the sixties onward youngins started to get taller,chaps over six foot once rare became common place,seems that nature has ceased striving for the vertical with the human body and has commenced increase in the horizontal plane.
Cannot all be put down to the settee television puter games and MacDonalds
PS one is very fond of a big mac now and again as well.
:rolleyes:

flynverted
29th Apr 2005, 11:11
How about an 11 pound burger? :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/flynverted/badlands.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/flynverted/ks1.jpg

http://www.smthop.com/wellplayed/viewpage.asp?LinkID=223

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/flynverted/homer2.bmp

Gouabafla
29th Apr 2005, 11:22
Might have mentioned this before on JB - is so, forgive the repetition.

I was in Orlando a couple of years ago with a day to waste before flying on to the next meeting, so I decided to go to Sea World. Walking from the car park to the entrance I found myself following a rather large family. Not large in the sense that there were lots of them, but large in the sense that father, mother and the two kids were supersized.

I walked behind them feeling self-righteous; 'only in the US', thought I. But as I got closer and heard them speaking they all had broad Geordie accents. It isn't just Americans who are rotund!

Widger
29th Apr 2005, 12:27
There is some evidence that the widespread use of Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils HVOs, may "switch off " the body's ability to burn fat. HVOs are found in Milkshakes , "Low fat Butter/Spreads", Ice cream bars, certain brands of biscuits and a whole host of other products.

Some info Here (http://www.bantransfats.com/)

eal401
29th Apr 2005, 12:42
I knew a Geordie lass once. She made the A380 look small.

phnuff
29th Apr 2005, 13:39
Follow the Products link from that page and see some of their other gourmet offerings all offering 1 1/2 pounds of food

Roasted Carved Turkey mmmmm
Backyard Barbeque mmmmmmmmmm
Angus Beef Meatloaf mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Also, take a look at the film "Supersize Me" if you havn't already

Now that is scary

(edited by phnuff to add supersize bit)

Huck
29th Apr 2005, 13:44
My wife is a pediatric nurse and a very sharp cookie.

When we started having kids, she put them on the strict "Feingold Diet" in an attempt to avoid the obesity and behavioral problems rampant in the US. No additives, no preservatives or dyes, very little high-fructose corn syrup.

The result: three skinny boys, all reasonably well behaved & able to sit (for five minutes, at least) without a TV on or a video game in hand.

Drapes is right - something is afoot. I pulled out my middle school annual book from ~1975 the other day. Yes, we children were bean poles (and prototypes for "That Seventies Show"), but what struck me was the TEACHERS - skinny, tanned - they looked like olympic athletes compared to the land-barges employed at the local school now....

Burnt Fishtrousers
29th Apr 2005, 14:22
Of the all the people i know, only one is fat..........and he spends most of his time talking out of his ar$e incessantly at work.
So theres a direct relationship between the hole the food goes into and the hole it comes out of. If the hole it comes out of spends all its time talking theres nowhere for the spent food to go.. QED

The other day he walked into the office and exclaimed that he had purchased a voice activated mobile phone. After a suitable pause and silence a colleage asked if he'd worn it out yet....priceless:E

Ric Capucho
29th Apr 2005, 14:30
The cousins have to eat like hogs, otherwise they won't fit properly into those outsized clothes they like to wear.

Ric

SmilingKnifed
29th Apr 2005, 16:36
Unfortunately we get more like them every day. But even eating healthily and training daily over here (Florida) I've still put on weight. It's easy to see why there are so many fat knackers in the states.

P.S. Typing this in secret before svelte American girlfriend gives me a slap!

fernytickles
29th Apr 2005, 18:25
You ain't seen nuthin' 'til you've visited Wisconsin, where the delicacies :yuk: include deep fried cheese curds, brats (sausages, not the human brats) which have been soaked in beer before they're bbq-d, just to make them a bit more unhealthy, all accompanied by a milk-shake and/or a beer, or 10.... "Wisconsin-waisters" is a well used, and descriptive term here.

The medical companies must lurve it - there's a fortune to be made on the "its not my fault, its in my genes, so I have to take all these drugs to help me" waddle-from-the-desk-to-the-car-so-I-can-go-for-another-drive-thru'-meal-folk....

tony draper
29th Apr 2005, 18:28
The Uk is starting to look the same, treat the fat bastards the way yer treat us smokers,don't let em eat in places open to the public Pubs Resturants ect, or at work, make em stand outside in doorways and such.

Crótalo
29th Apr 2005, 18:30
Several people have mentioned portion sizes, especially "supersize" portions (even when they're not called such).

I completely agree. Here's just one example -- yesterday I was away for the majority of the day, so I popped into a restaurant for a late breakfast. I ordered a breakfast burrito, which at first may sound like a horrible thing, but this one had loads of veggies, and it had lean meat instead of fatty meat. It was served with black beans instead of fried potatoes, so I figured I had made a good choice. Until it arrived. It was ENORMOUS! Enough to feed 4 people, and I am not exaggerating.

The good news -- It was very tasty. Lovely spices and seasonings.
Plenty of vegetables, as advertised. And it was not greasy at all.
It was excellent value for money at that size.
It's very acceptable to ask for a "to go box" (takeaway container) here in the states.

So, I ate 1/4 of it, boxed up the rest, and brought it home. (This morning, another person and I each ate 1 of the 1/4-sized portions with some of the beans; it was plenty. So I still have one more "meal" left - good value for money!)

No wonder we have weight problems over here. As long as people consider these portion sizes "normal", and as long as people eat what's on their plate just because they can't bear to leave it (or can't take it home), we're only going to get bigger. And it's not just a US problem anymore. Anyone, regardless of their country, who buys into the concept of "more is better" is in danger, especially if they lead a fairly sedentary lifestyle.

SmilingKnifed
29th Apr 2005, 18:35
Funny you should mention that Fernytickles, the girlfriend's from Wisconsin. Is she a ticking time bomb waiting to explode?!:ooh:

phnuff
29th Apr 2005, 18:43
Hey not to be outdone, there is the "Barnsley Chop", originally a 3lb cut of mutton served to royalty and I was once told by ex father in law, that in some parts of Yorkshire similar challenges to that surrounding the big burger thing

zerozero
30th Apr 2005, 08:30
As with most questions I don't think this one has just one answer. However I think if you boil it down the problem is mostly one of portions served and why we eat in the first place.

I don't have a lot of time so here is a quick synopsis of what I'm trying to say:

--Anyone remember a TV chef called The Frugal Gourmet? He's the bearded guy, also a minister and convicted child molester...Anyway, he did have some interesting ideas on food and eating habits. He pointed out that Americans eat enormous servings of dessert because the main courses aren't satisfying--even though they're high in calories.

--And then there's this B.S. that our parents pushed on us when we were young and just learning eating habits: "Finish Everything on Your Plate and Then You're Excused From the Table". Why? Because there are starving children elsewhere.

--And why do we eat in the first place? Do we eat together as a family anymore? Do we cook together anymore? Look at the Italians: The entire country practically shuts down between noon and 4pm so that people may go home to have lunch with their families. Not so in America, God forbid that commerce should wait for the family. In fact, what time do we leave for eating and friends and family. Practically none. We shove as much food into our mouths as we can get from the drive-thru while driving to our second job.

Unsatisfied with that crap, having never learnt proper eating habits in the first place and subjected to relentless marketing and a near workaholic lifestyle we just unconsciously shove more food into our mouths to fill the pit of our stomach.

I remember having dinner with some colleagues in an authentic Italian restaurant in Miami one night. We each ordered a salad and a pizza (the authentic thin crust style not the enormous doughy loaf of bread with a stuffed crust PizzaHut monstrosity).

Afterwards, one guy remarked, "That was great! I feel satisfied but not like I'm stuffed."

Ah. One more convert to Mediterranean style eating.

Me: 5'8" 155# Italian descent.
Saluti.

scrubed
30th Apr 2005, 10:09
Funny you mention that... I stumbled across This Link for "Dirty Sanchez" and other delights whilst researching the "Bucking Bronco" comment on another thread.

Anyway a clever entrepreneur in the US is now marketing T-shirts with amusing slogans.... "Dirty Sanchez", "Donkey Punch", etc.

The shirts only come in:

Normal Size $18.00 each
XXL +$2
3XL +$7
4XL +$12

Fat Bar-staff or what......

About the only plus is the US are exporting their obesity to the rest of the world including those whose only export of their own is terror. Nice trade.

Funny seeing jihadists chanting "Death to America" whilst jamming a Big Mac into their fat heads!!!!

PS I thought better of including the actual link in view of recent 'unpleasantness'.

Southern Scottie
30th Apr 2005, 10:18
When I worked in the West End of London, I could spot the Yank tourists by their megasized frames (not to mention their terrible taste in tourist clothes - why can't they wear Eric Morecambe jungle shorts like decent people), but that's not my point.

It is accepted that our US cousins are reeeeely fat, but all the American movies show lithe women and dynamic, athletic men. Can't we complain under the Trade Descriptions Act due to misrepresentation?:8

scrubed
30th Apr 2005, 10:30
Scottie:

Where was Fat Bastard from?

tony draper
30th Apr 2005, 10:35
Hmmm, how about taxing people by their weight?, and charging them double on all modes of transport.
Hmm that would be as lucrative as ones suggestion to tax chaps by the length of their willies,self assesment would be interesting and who would demand a rebate??