PDA

View Full Version : EastAfrica-certificate-conversion and cheap plane rental?

DenC
20th Apr 2005, 10:14
Hello everyone,

Am coming to East Africa (Kenya & Tanzania) in August and am trying to learn more about certificate-conversions. Anyone know how long time it will take and how much it will cost?

If it can be done in reasonable time I am also interested in renting a cheap SEP for a day or two but how much will that cost?
And more importantly: theres a lot of rumors about the standard of small african planes. Are they as bad as people say (put together with chewing gum instead of screws? :)

Hoping for some help... Thank you.

B Sousa
20th Apr 2005, 12:50
Pearls of Wisdom from another outsider.
If your on a vacation and want to go through the fight, spend money get some flying and then leave, by all means try for the conversion.. You will leave frustrated
Also have you been in Africa before, let alone flown there??

My suggestion is get a reputable outfit and rent a plane and an experienced IP to go along. He knows the rules and the geography and your trip will be mush easier...and probably cheaper.
(beware of his barbill though, some have been known to tip the bottle)

DenC
21st Apr 2005, 13:02
I am going to Africa for the first time. I am just hoping to get a job in Africa and then I thought it might be a good idea to do the conversion, should increase my chances to get a job later on.
I know that theres many people that wants the jobs but if I have the certificate and have flown a few days it might be a little advantage...

Am I way off?

wheels up
22nd Apr 2005, 08:28
Bear in mind that you will probably battle to get flying work in Kenya as a non-resident.

B Sousa
22nd Apr 2005, 13:33
Wheels up is right. Enjoy your vacation, but I think you will find the Politics of your idea will eat up your vacation.
Meet some of the Pilots who are in the mix and they will give you guidance.....

Paterbrat
26th Apr 2005, 15:47
Not still in the Aero Club Sousa. Have a whitecap for me. Oh and if the PP shows up, give him a wave.

Dr Know
29th Apr 2005, 19:08
DenC
Try the local aero club for a beer or two. You might hook up some contacts..

Goodluck...;)