PDA

View Full Version : Working In Crewing

TJ747
19th Apr 2005, 21:13
HI THERE,

Can anyone tell me what it is actually like to work in crewing, pay etc etc.

I know the basics CAP371 etc, but have never actually worked in that environment.

Can anyone share any info as to whats it like, is it a good career, pay and anything else you can add.

Many Thx

TJ747

walla
20th Apr 2005, 11:56
Crewing is one off those jobs that you either like or hate.
The pay is good depending on what company you are with, but you do earn it.....
Be warned though, you will be hated by both flight deck and cabin crew because crewing is a thankless job.
:ok: :ok:

walla

The Streets
20th Apr 2005, 13:53
Pretty much agree with Walla, I've done stints in Crewing down the years and I am always desperate to get back to ops where you are not relying so heavily on people.

Most Managers I have worked with seem to accept weather/tech a hell of a lot more than crewing failing to retreive a situation (normally an impossible one) so it tends to be a hiding to nothing sometimes, that said it is rewarding when it all comes together and not all crews will screw you over, but again I've seen many crew members blatently lie about crewing conversations and in any walk of life where you are in a 'my word against theirs' situation it is always going to be frustrating so a thick skin is a must.

Money wise where I am right now its a few grand lower than the Ops Contoller, but its more sociable hours (6-2 and 2-10) but I think you will only find that in the smaller operators although I am always surprised to hear how many mid size operators dont have crewing on the night shift.

Good luck with it, there are certainly jobs around at the mo with all the bods that have gone to Excel

VIKING9
20th Apr 2005, 14:31
Not sure about mid sized carriers not having crewing on nights. Eastern don't. Are they mid sized ?

The Streets
21st Apr 2005, 11:33
Viking I guess it depends on the amount of flying that goes on during the night maybe I should have worded it slightly better, the point really was based round my experience working with carriers that do night flying but Ops carry the crewing can during the night.

I've known several guys move into Crewing purely because the hours can (sometimes) be more sociable.

VIKING9
22nd Apr 2005, 07:37
Some of us want to get into crewing because we are good at it, but don't even get a look in :mad: