PDA

View Full Version : Irishman appointed as new Chief Ops Officer at SAA

Gunship
19th Apr 2005, 20:13
SAA has appointed Kyrl Acton, an Irish national with 25 years' experience with leading airlines, to the key position of its chief operating officer.

The appointment has reassured industry partners, who were worried by the lack of aviation experience at the highest levels of the airline after the departure of several senior executives.

Announcing the appointment yesterday, Khaya Ngqula, SAA's chief executive, said: "Kyrl started his airline career with Aer Lingus, where he rose to become the chief executive, passenger service ...

He pioneered a customer-focus programme, which resulted in increased revenue flows and the favourable positioning of the airline in a very competitive and rapidly deregulating market.

"Kyrl joined Lan Chile in 1995 as senior vice-president planning and development. [He] played a leading role in the Lan Chile initial public offering in 1997.

"In 2002, he moved to Unisys, as vice-president transportation for Europe/Middle East/Africa, where he focused on information technology ... Kyrl will join my executive team on April 25."

SAA also said yesterday it would offer four new routes to Europe and the Far East as a result of code sharing arrangements with future partners in the Star Alliance of international airlines.

The new arrangements, giving passengers a wider choice of destinations, resulted from recent meetings between Ngqula and his opposite numbers in Star Alliance airlines.

A connection with Vienna, lost since the withdrawal of Austrian Airlines three years ago, will be restored. SAA's nonstop flights from Johannesburg to Zurich will connect with Austrian Airlines' flights from there to Vienna.

Thai Airways International will return to South Africa in October after several years' absence and carry SAA passengers to Bangkok, a destination from which SAA withdrew more than a year ago.

From July, SAA's flights to Hong Kong will connect with those of Asiana, which will carry its passengers to Seoul.

SAA confirmed that its flights to Accra would continue to Washington under code sharing arrangements with United Airlines, a partner in the Star Alliance, which will carry its passengers on to other US destinations.

This will not affect its code sharing arrangements with US airline Delta on the route from Johannesburg to Atlanta, which will continue for at least two years.

Onkgoptse JJ Tabane, the vice-president communications, said SAA had lifted passenger numbers by 5 percent over the past three months. Its standards of service had improved.

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Apr 2005, 20:55
Maybe they'll get some decent beer on the flights now...:E

19th Apr 2005, 21:31
Yeah, like Black Label!!!:}

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Apr 2005, 21:53

All that statement proves is that some people will put anything in their mouths...:E

ou Trek dronkie
19th Apr 2005, 23:37
Shame on you Black label, did you never hear of Windhoek Lager ?

oTd

20th Apr 2005, 04:43
They already have Windhoek Lager, don't they? But Windhoek Export would be a really nice addition!! Or maybe Tafel. Yummy.

B Sousa
20th Apr 2005, 12:44
SRT...Since when have you been picky about drinking Beer.......

Solid Rust Twotter
20th Apr 2005, 12:57
Never been picky about drinking beer, Bert. :ok:

It's just that the dreck that SAB tries to sell me can not, under any circumstances, be called beer. Windhoek scrapes in under the wire, but barely.

Beer is not filtered or pasteurised and never tastes like something an incontinent rodent left behind as a souvenir...:E

ou Trek dronkie
20th Apr 2005, 13:59
SRT,

I agree, no such thing as bad beer, but Michelob comes close.

What do they dop on planet Tharg then ?

oTd

Rhodie
20th Apr 2005, 15:05
SAA has appointed Kyrl Acton, an Irish national

Dont ye see lads...

It'll be Guiness and Kilkenny on te' flights nay..! ;)

(as long as he doesn't do a Paddy Fitz-Coleman-Andrews on us - he can only but be better than the current circus rejects..!!!)

Cheers
<slurp>

R

Beta Light
20th Apr 2005, 17:29
I give him 24 months......hey, I am in an upbeat mood!

BAKELA
20th Apr 2005, 19:12
I give him 24 months......hey, I am in an upbeat mood!

A VERY upbeat mood I would wager...? What with SAA and all...

There's two things for certain in life...the NOW...and REALITY. Should not take too long to kick in...

Hamrah
20th Apr 2005, 23:18
Hey Guns,

everywhere you look there's irishmen invading Aviation eh?

H

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Apr 2005, 07:29
Invading?

More like infesting....:E

OK,OK, I know......... Hat, coat, door...

BAKELA
25th Apr 2005, 16:40
Do you get black Irishmen?

If not, I don't need to comment about the Governm...sorry, Transne..., sorry SAA's employment policy.

What happenned to BEE then. At least appoint a Sefrican (if he has to be white then be it). Get the job done for :mad:'s sake!

But I suppose according to SAA its BEE anyway...Bloody European Employment!

Gunship
25th Apr 2005, 17:23
Hey Guns,

everywhere you look there's irishmen invading Aviation eh?

H

...but some comes to visit their old friends ... some just stays away ... you still flying mate ??? :E

AEU has regular flights to here mate - get a hike on a flight I will pay :p

Solid Rust Twotter
25th Apr 2005, 18:11
Bakela

There is a distinct group known as the Black Irish. I believe it may have something to do with having dark hair and swarthier features than the rest as a result of Spanish settlers intermarrying into the Irish gene pool. A mine of useless information, me. They still have the world's most beautiful women, though....

As for BEE, rumours abound of companies pulling out of South Africa as a result of incompetence and corruption among their BEE partners. As I said, rumours only so far, but a phrase equating smoke and fire springs to mind.:rolleyes: