PDA

View Full Version : Cuatros Vientos Museum, Madrid

skua
19th Apr 2005, 16:10
Has anyone been to this museum, or seen a display there?

Would be interested in views as to whether it was worth trekking out from central Madrid.

Thanks

Skua

treadigraph
19th Apr 2005, 16:17
Friend of mine went some years ago and was quite impressed. As I recall there are some gems there - Dornier 24 amongst others, and a KC-97?

G-KEST
19th Apr 2005, 16:56
The museum is well worth a visit with some fascinating exhibits. In addition there are a fair number of vintage types in the main civil side hangars.
Enjoy the trip.
Cheers,
Trapper 69
:)

Nopax,thanx
20th Apr 2005, 12:12
Not been myself yet but from the reports it's a very good museum. Just be aware that the security there and on the airfield is quite keen due to the atrocities last year and the restoration areas may be off limits. If in doubt ask and accept that no means no.

JDK
21st Apr 2005, 05:47
Went last October for the second time. An essential Museum visit IMHO; the worlds only airworthy Cierva C-30 (a new build which flew a few times) the earliest surviving He111, Franco's Dragon Rapide, (Olly Air Services) Dornier Do-24, loads of ex-German W.W.II era types, plus a great range of thirties a/c.

It has a hall of Spanish Civil war aircraft, a row of which are in Nationalist colours on one side and Republican on the other - a unique display as far as I know!

Bob Ogden's Museums of the World is an essential starting point. The Museum is now on the Metro (Quatros Vientos station IIRC) so it's easy to get to.

A rather ropey and out of date website is at: http://www.aire.org/museo/ - it's missing the new Metro line, and you don't need your passport anymore (though you'd be wise to have it) The bookshop has some great Spanish language books, pins and stuff, but won't take cards, so take plenty of Euros...

The Website tells you:
HORARIO:
Diariamente de 10.00 a 14.00 horas, excepto lunes. Cerrado el 1 de enero, Jueves y Viernes Santos, 10 de diciembre (Patrona de Aviación) y 25 de diciembre.

(NB - I was chucked out at 1pm by a keen guard with a gun when I first went in 2000, so allow loads of time.)
_
PRECIO DE VISITA:
0.60 Euros. Están exentos de pago: el personal perteneciente a las Fuerzas Armadas y al Ministerio de Defensa, los estudiantes matriculados en Centros de enseñanza oficial, los menores de 10 años acompañados, los mayores de 65 y las visitas colectivas. MIERCOLES: día de los museos, gratis.

On the other side of the airfield is the Infante de Orleans museum http://www.fio.es/ (or http://www.fio.es/actividades/actividades.htm#) - with a rather whizzy state of the art website. Imaging a Spanish version of the Shuttleworth Collection, and you get the idea. The only other flying Miles Falcon 6, B.A. Swallow, and a dozen other rare and wonderful aircraft; including a certain Bucker Jungmeister owned and flown by the late great Jose Aresti. And they fly, the first weekend in each month, from Feb onwards - see 'Exhabiciones' (ish) for dates

I got from the Spanish Air Force Museum to the FiO by hailing a Taxi by the bus stop; you can't walk from one to the other, and the bus would take you into central Madrid and out again!

Speaking Spanish helps (which I don't - but proves it's possible!)

Hope this helps.

skua
22nd Apr 2005, 15:42
Thank you everyone. The intended visit was on an air display day. All your enthusiasm makes it easier to convince the non-propellorheads in the party to come with me!

Skua

paulc
9th May 2005, 11:03
I was there on Friday of last week - very impressive collection and only 60 cents entry fee. Opening hours are 10am to 2pm.
I was staying at Barajas Airport and it was easy to get there using the excellent metro and bus networks. Line 8 from Barajas to Neiuvos Ministeros then line 10 to Principe Pio then bus 525 (or any number) to Mostoles. Ask driver for 'Museo De aire' and the bus stop is close to a footbridge over the motorway which leads to the museum. Journey time was 45 mins although could be longer in the rush hours (I started at 9am ish) There is a metro stop at Cuatro Vientos but this is a long way (2K+) from the museum although you could probably get a bus from there.

Have put the pictures I took on the Key publishing website.

JDK
10th May 2005, 07:46
There is a metro stop at Cuatro Vientos but this is a long way (2K+) from the museum
Otherwise excellent advice Paul, but the Metro stop was a lot less than 1km from the entrance; I walked it in less than 15 minutes, and you can't miss where you are going, as you just follow the military side of the motorway, right from the station enterance.

I used the bus the first time I went, and the driver delighted in taking me to the end of the line, even though I'd asked in broken eSpanish for the museum and sat just behind him (which he'd never heard of, despite driving past it each day... :rolleyes: )

After that experience I was convinced to try the Metro, which was fine. Either method will do of course, but keep yr eyes peeled for the red & white checked water tower ball if you get the same driver as me on the bus!

maxy101
13th May 2005, 19:01
Loads of autogyro stuff there if anyone is interested in them. At one point , the Spanish were real pioneers in aviation.