PDA

View Full Version : SAA to weigh pax and hand luggage randomly

Gunship
19th Apr 2005, 14:57
There is one thing that I fully agree with for a very long time. When will the time come that a pax be weighed with his handluggage JUST before he steps on board ?

To me it is very important. I checked myself the other day on SAA to Accra. My hand luggage was never weighed. I did not go overboard and I had one piece (with 2 laptops inside plus LOTSA gadgets) - weight = 14,5 kg.

THEN ... I bought my regular magazines ... believe it or not it was 15kg !!!

So my small postured body :E at 111 kg plus another 30 kg = 141 ... eisch that is 2 ladies and a child or 4 kids's space :E Eischh - I am all fo rit - we owe it the airlines ... yes FAT ORCA I am on a diet and all .. :yuk:

South African Airways (SAA) said on Tuesday in a statement that it has begun randomly weighing its passengers together with their hand luggage through a voluntary process at Johannesburg International airport.

A survey will be carried out on approximately 1 000 passengers travelling on SAA's domestic, regional and international flights over the next two weeks.

The weighing is done to calculate the correct take-off weight of the airline's aircraft, the statement said.

SAA said this is being done to comply with the Civil Aviation Authority’s regulations, as well as to ensure the safety of its passengers.

In the last survey in September 2003, SAA discovered that passengers' weights were increasing as a result of some overstepping the maximum amount of hand luggage allowed on board.

One piece of hand luggage weighing not more than 7kg is permitted in economy class and two pieces of hand luggage weighing 7kg each are allowed in business class.

"This snap survey is SAA fine-tuning the previous results of 2003 and will establish whether passengers are adhering to the required standards. We have their safety in our hands and will not allow it to slacken," said SAA CEO Khaya Ngqula.

The most recent survey showed that passengers are carrying an average of 10,1kg of hand luggage on all routes, which is an increase of 3,1kg compared with the previous survey held in 1997.

This survey also showed that the average male weight increased by 6kg from 91kg to 97kg, and female weight is up by 5kg from 72kg to 77kg. The average weights of children remained constant at 35kg. -- I-Net Bridge

4HolerPoler
19th Apr 2005, 15:14
THEN ... I bought my regular magazines ...

Loslyf, Huisgenoot, Sarie, FHM, Landbou Weekblad - you're a well read oke Guns.

Boet if they get you on the scales it would wreck their calculations - 111 kilos! That's two of the guy I used to know.

Groetnis. 4HP

Gunship
19th Apr 2005, 15:19
Yip - twice the size 4HP .. :\ :\ :\

But in one week I am down 3 kg 's so there is hope : Fine life in SA - so glad I am not there permanently ;)

B Sousa
19th Apr 2005, 19:23
Guns, just get on 4HP with>>>>"If your gonna work with a big Tool, ya gotta have a big Tool Shed.
Its easier to lose Pounds instead of Kilos anyway.....

Gunship
19th Apr 2005, 20:20
Personally I think it is more due to the under powered Airbusses if I read between the lines now ;)

Pretoria - Increasingly chubbier South Africans are adding to the weight South African Airways are already carrying, government news agency BuaNews reported of Tuesday.

South Africa's struggling - but optimistic - national airline on Tuesday announced it is to weigh 1 000 passengers and their luggage at random in a survey to calculate correct take-off weights.

Weight, temperature and flying distance are key elements in calculating the amount of fuel required to ensure a safe flight.

The survey is held every five years but in the last one, in 2003, SAA found that passengers' weights were increasing.

While this can be partially attributed to heavier hand baggage, such as laptops and cellphone chargers, increasing amounts of flab on fat-fed passengers is adding to the kilo count.

During her budget speech on April 8, Minister of Health Manto Tshabalala-Msimang, decried South Africa's number of overweight and lazy folk.

Judging by the results of health screening for Body Mass Index undertaken recently in some provinces, the minister said, "it is clear to us that chronic diseases of lifestyle are a major problem in our communities".

"We are concerned about the levels of obesity and number of people who are overweight particularly because of lack of physical activity and over consumption of food high in fats and sugar."

It's time to get moving and shed some flab, the minister said, urging all South Africans, starting with members of parliament, to do more physical activity.

Come May, which is physical activity month, the government is planning a range of activities in the country. And May 10 2005 is World Physical Activity Day.

As for SAA, which has reportedly suffered losses of about R15bn over the past two years, its finances are improving, Minister of Public Enterprises Alec Erwin has said.

SAA's new performance-driven CEO, Khaya Ngqula, is expected to surprise the markets when the national carrier releases its new set of results.

"The finances are improving, reserves are up, load factors are up by 5%, new routes are opening and new alliances are being formed," Erwin said during his budget speech in parliament last Friday.

Check Revs
19th Apr 2005, 23:01
4HP,

Onthou dit vat 'n groot hamer om 'n lang spyker in te slaan!

;) ;)

krobar
20th Apr 2005, 07:51
Shame, all those pilots carrieing ATP notes around with them.....

BAKELA
20th Apr 2005, 18:25
Last time I posted about SAA, I got told to wring my neck in and to stop slagging off SAA. As I said then, I'll say again, no need to slag of SAA...they do it well enough themselves...!!!!! Suppose it also goes for the alliance partners...? SAX is still towing the (political) line (SAA's way or no way...never mind the bottom line...the taxpayer pays). Airlink is still "Yes Boss, Sure boss, What...!" but continues to live on SAA's scraps. Good on Link...keep it up:ok:.

What's with the weighing of pax? :confused: Don't blame it on the grey suits at SAA that makes the sums (or the "so called" legal experts that advises them a la Star Alliance...how long still?)...IT'S ALL THE PAX'S FAULT!!! SAA can never be wrong! Most of them paying pax are "colonials" anyway aren't they? :E :E Pity about Bob and his cronies (read here what suits you, but if you're from SA and travel in a Boeing you'll know...Never thought they could count. :zzz: Way back the CAR's and CAT's laid down weights for use in Part 121 operations. Maybe they (who did the work on the rules and regs...with the industry's input (read SAA) I'm lead to believe) did not consider the demographic diversity of SA at all. :ooh: Traditionally built :mad: ...not the pax...maybe the cabin crew...and the cargo revenue...and the aircraft performance (I've never been an Airbus booitjie :p )...and maybe the "traditionally built" brains of the new spawn of SA pilots. If Joe Soap can do it, I just have to plead PDI and I can do it! PDI in this game = STUPIDITY and death (eventually!). :sad: You can or you can't. FULL STOP. Just a thought from me.

Flack jacket on, chaff and flares armed, RWR active....I'm waiting...???? Let the sh!t roll on...what's new?

SAA seems to be consistently in the news...still...for all the wrong reasons. One aircraft quarantined due to Maarburg virus...pax stranded for at least 12 hours...then the next flight to London for them...the next day! What about back-up standby aircraft as required by the South African highly rated International Air Services Act? A requirement to get an air service licence! Seems like I've read from SRT on another thread around here...the playing field is level...except its level for some and downhill for others...! :uhoh:

Oh yes, then there's also the overbooking by SAA ex Cape Town - London in the past few days... :uhoh:

And pilots being reinstated at SAA a la SAAF style...except the SAA guy is still alive...

Makes me wonder...??? Never mind the PC7 & 1/2's, the Hawks and Grippens falling on my head (see SAAF PC7 accident thread), what about a couple of 100 pax flying with...? OUCH! :ouch:

Gunship
26th Apr 2005, 00:00
:P:P:P Welcome back BAKELA :E

bear11
28th Apr 2005, 09:04
My apologies for intruding on the forum - it's your fault for having a sense of humour. You've got to be shi**ing me about the average weight of 97 Kg per male passenger - does this include the hand luggage, or have you guys grown an extra ass in the last 10 years?

As for the "average" 77Kg "female" passenger, that's a bags me on top job!