PDA

View Full Version : Vale Mal Bilett

Woomera
19th Apr 2005, 12:57
Folks,

Many of you from the good old days would know, when Flight Service meant exactly that, whilst navigating out there in the wilderness on a glorious day or on a dark and stormy night all alone cutting washers out of the seat cushion, you always had a friend on the airways who could "give you the tip", know which pub the refueller was in, arrange accomodation, give you a lift to town, have a coffee and hot pie ready, a comforting voice or just plain and simple save your arse as a matter of course and all in the day to day.

Mal, known affectionately and instantly recognisable as "Squeaky" was one of these heroes and has today sadly departed this mortal coil after a long and valiant battle.

I had the honour of sharing a breakfast with him not so long ago after not seeing him for quite some time, it was as if we had only had speaks with each other the day before.

God bless you Mal, you were one of the finest of the fine.

Sarwatch terminated.

Jamitupyr
19th Apr 2005, 15:38
So long old mate - happy memories of working with you at Geraldton FSU and Perth FSC. Sincere condolences to Pam.
The aviation community has lost one of its best known voices from the west.

The Voice
19th Apr 2005, 19:24
My mate Malsy aka Petal

Life wasn't meant to be easy (so the saying goes) but you gave it your all.

Many many many a fond memory from the old PH Fright Circus days.

Woomera .. he was simply chuffed that day .. he had a day of total aviation reminscing with you and another old buddy over a very late lunch ..

Pam was the love of his life, and she his.

She advises that there will notices posted in the West the next couple of days, and an email forwarded shortly with regard to the necessary arrangements.

She is amazingly strong, and wishes for us to remember and celebrate his life, and not be sad for long.

Bye Petal.

QSK?
19th Apr 2005, 23:14
Mal:

I worked with you over a number of years in another life. You were a legend in aviation then, as you are now; and also a bloody nice bloke to boot.

May your God look after you mate, and I hope you'll continue to maintain a sarwatch over all of us that still fly.

Pam, my condolensces to you, sweetie.

flyingfox
20th Apr 2005, 02:04
Farewell Mal. You are and were a remarkable human being. Thank you especially for your enthusiastic and unsurpassed work as an FSO. Thank you for your endless capacity for friendship to all. Condolences Pam.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
20th Apr 2005, 02:26
Sincere condolences to Pam on Mal's passing.

An excellent working colleague who certainly re-defined 'Flight Service', and took his job so professionally.

He will be missed for his enthusiasm, sense of humour and fair play.

His most 'famous' catch cry - "How didja know its me?" - will be remembered by many.

Farewell Mal.

PGH
20th Apr 2005, 04:55
Saddened today; but Mal I don't have anything except wonderful memories. Especially of those short few years when we were working together in the Kimberley and the couple of jars we shared last year when you were over East. I honour the respect you showed for others and your devotion to Pam and the life you carved out.

You're now blessed with new wings to fly with the eternal.

Hobbo

The Admiral
20th Apr 2005, 07:56
Fair-well MallsyWallsy.

A great guy and an FSO who served "Above and Beyond" the call of duty.

I still remember the words of the "Yadamooga Airep" from all those years ago when you were in Meeka and I in Hedland.

You'll never be forgotten by all in the aviation industry who met you.

The Admiral

Gunnadothat
20th Apr 2005, 11:40
Farewell Mal,

It has been a pleasure and a privilege working and associating with you from the late 80's to late 90's in Perth.

The phrase "One of life's true gentlemen" is often used, but it is entirely appropriate in this case.

Your place in Aviation folklore will always ensure that you will be sorely missed but remembered fondly.

Heartfelt Condolences to Pam

Gunna

divingduck
20th Apr 2005, 12:12
To a great guy, a true gentleman and one that epitomised the old fashioned, now lost for ever, Flight Service Officer.

Never was a job title more aptly named than when Mal was on duty.

I'll raise a glass to his memory tonight.

Mike

dnc
20th Apr 2005, 23:28
Malfunction... Kununurra is such a long time ago but my memories of you are as vivid as yesterday. One of my fondest memories is of you trying to drink the "after burners" trilogy, hanging by your feet from the rafters of Gulliver's Tavern - a mean feat as most people could not even complete the trilogy standing up.

You were a great mate Mal. Your lively personality touched the hearts of everyone you came into contact with. The world has lost a fantastic person and the aviation industry one of its greatest characters, but mate... you are a legend and your memory will live on. Thank-you for colouring my life. You won't be forgotten.

Keep the afterburners going in the great hereafter!

Our thoughts and deepest sympathy go to the love of your life, Pam.

~DNC

menofly
21st Apr 2005, 11:43
Malsy Mate,

You've gone and left us all but I'm sure you are not too far away!

It was great working with you Mal and catching up at all those Karalee dinners - they will never be the same again!

I hope you are free of pain my friend!

My condolences to Pam - we are all here for you.

Love
Gnomes

Spodman
22nd Apr 2005, 06:54
Very sorry to hear the news, about somebody I never actually met. I was always in a different WA unit! His 'penetrating' voice on the 'nets' inhibited slumber on boring shifts.

Was reflecting recently that most of the b@stards I met in FS are dead now, but it's started with the nice guys.

Knackers
25th Apr 2005, 11:08
I, too, only knew Mal over the HF net while we were in YPPD.

RIP, Mal.

Capn Bloggs
4th Jul 2005, 08:25
It seems as though somebody in Airservices has a heart: there's a new waypoint BILET (S24 42.2, E118 51.1) in the middle of WA, starting on the 7th of July.

A nice touch. :ok:

The Voice
4th Jul 2005, 08:32
Yep Bloggs, Pam was mightily chuffed when she heard the news, and we had a giggle at the thought of just what he'd think of that.

Can anyone enlighten me to just what that lat/long is overhead or near please.

Capn Bloggs
4th Jul 2005, 09:40
Voice,

011° at 116nm from the Meeka VOR; right in the middle of Billet country!

The Voice
4th Jul 2005, 09:54
Absolutley .. smack in the middle (so's to speak) of the old Meeka airspace .. very fitting indeed!

He'd be happy with that!!