PDA

View Full Version : Bailiffs?

tony draper
19th Apr 2005, 09:20
Watched a documenty on these chaps last night,watched the series when it was first shown back to back one night when the insomnia struck,found oneself feeling sorry for the Bailiffs.
Something puzzles, they threaten the deptors with confiscation of goods, one case the lady owed 500 quid on parking fines,they threaten to take her car and sell same at auction,what puzzed was given the state of the second hand car market they would have been lucky to get twenty quid for this car even on a good day, likewise some of the goods they were sticking labels on in peoples houses for confiscation would hardly be worth taking away,seems a bit pointless.

Orange Arm Waver
19th Apr 2005, 10:21
I believe that they take the goods in order to get at least some money back against the debt. I don't think they expect to get all the money back but some is better than none.

Send Clowns
19th Apr 2005, 10:32
And if they didn't, the tow rags would never pay fines.

Biggles Flies Undone
19th Apr 2005, 10:34
At least by taking her car away they stopped her running up any more parking parking fines that she couldn't be arsed to pay!

Jerricho
19th Apr 2005, 10:46
We had a major problem with a bailiff company before we left Blighty. Seems the previous occupant of the flat we were renting had been a bit of a naughty girl when it cam to parking in the Greenwich area (maybe she had a meridian facination). Anyway, the Council must have decided they were going to involve a bailiff company.

The ****ing bastard were relentless in trying to get OUR stuff. We told them on many occasions the lady they were looking for no longer lived there. The demanded WE prove we were the party they were looking for. The rental company told them the same thing. They demanded again that the rental company prove it. There were some nasty letters flying back and forth for a couple of weeks. Got to the stage that I was parking both our cars at work (5 min walk down the road). Scumbags.

X-QUORK
19th Apr 2005, 11:29
Is it me or is there something slightly tasteless about this documentary series being shown during the early evening "light entertainment" slot on BBC1?

Jerricho
19th Apr 2005, 11:34
Maybe it's a cunning play to get everybody to pay their TV licence :E

tony draper
19th Apr 2005, 11:38
Oh they don't send the bailiffs in for that, they whips yer straight off to jail.
:uhoh:

Jerricho
19th Apr 2005, 11:39
Is that right......... feckers probably deserve it

;)

Rollingthunder
19th Apr 2005, 11:41
If they can get past the bear traps behind the front door, they're welcome to whatever they can carry out.

Ref: Straw Dogs.

tony draper
19th Apr 2005, 11:48
Thats what puzzled me, the stuff they were marking up was the kind of junk one sees in piles in front of the second hand furniture shops for a fiver,it would not be worth the petrol needed to haul it away.
Fair enough I agree there has to be some way of making people pay what they owe, but the confiscation of goods to recover monies in most cases is just bullshit.
What wrong with deptors prison?
:E

ORAC
19th Apr 2005, 12:01
We aint got enough room for the crooks.....

X-QUORK
19th Apr 2005, 12:01
...or the bullet eh Drapes?;)

tony draper
19th Apr 2005, 12:25
Hmmm,how about compulsary confiscation of body parts,kidneys,hearts,livers even blood go for high prices on the transplant market, did not the Bard himself pen a play along these lines?
:E

NotamCheck
19th Apr 2005, 14:52
When did Baliffs have the power to arrest people???

The Baliff lastnight arrested the woman and read her no rights whatsoever.

As I understand it, you can only be arrested for none payment of debts if you delibratetly avoid to pay them. Then you will have an arrest warrent which the police will see to.

I'm confused!

tony draper
19th Apr 2005, 15:25
Yeh that supprised me a bit, prolly like the USA where those bail bond bounty hunters can do things to nab yer that a proper policeman would get the sack for.

It would probably supprise you if you knew how many people in the UK have a statutary right to enter your property without your permision,I watched a bloke pull up in a van to a door opposit me and commense drilling the lock from same,went across and asked what the **** he thought he was doing, turns out he was from the electric company and was going to switch off the supply for none payment, and this is exactly what he did,he did show me a piece of paper detailing his legal right to do so.
The occupant was a bit peeved when he returned home from work that night, serves him right though as the same bloke is not short of a bob or two.

Standard Noise
19th Apr 2005, 15:59
They mentioned that he was a court bailiff who had power of arrest, but only to take you to court to pay your fines, I think.

IB4138
19th Apr 2005, 18:00
Let me explain, as a former Certificated Bailiff...I had no power of arrest, but could distain on someone's goods for debts outstanding. In this form you is self employed with your services for hire, from Councils, VAT, Inland Revenue.

However County Court Bailiffs do have the power of arrest. They work for the court and act on matters that originate via Court business ie County Court Judgements, Evictions or any other form of order granted in a County Court..EG removing gypos from sites.

Unfortunately with the Certificated Bailiffs there are some who more than bend the rules. They are fee based. County Court Bailiffs is on a set salary.

Paul Wilson
20th Apr 2005, 14:48
Sounds like you were dealing with a right bunch of sharks there Jerrico, have had my own problems with bailiffs trying to get money from the previous residents in my house. However showed them my bank card for ID and they went away never to be heard from again. Didn't stop the next lot coming though, or the one after, or bizzarely enough their old mortgage company ringing up after some cash, despite the fact that the same mortgage company had repossesed the flat and sold it to me!:ugh:

Jerricho
20th Apr 2005, 16:00
Your not wrong there Paul. The sheer arrogance of the staff was astounding. And the worrying thing was that they didn't care one bit when during a phone conversation I mentioned that if they arrived and laid one hand on any of our personal possessions that I would be suing their asses off. And, as the apartment we were renting had a communal entryway, we know that they must have stood outside the entryway door one day and waited for another resident to come out (or bullshitted somebody into opening the door for them) because we had a letter delivered by hand and stuffed under the door to the flat, not in the post box.

Who regulates the bailiffs? If similar things happened to Paul and myself, surely there are others.

hoofie
20th Apr 2005, 17:12
When I bought the house I'm in now two years ago, the previous owner nipped off rather sharpish and omitted to leave a forwarding address of any kind [ plus about 4 grand in sundry debts and unpaid bills].

Within days I was getting letters threatening baliffs etc turning up. For everyone I just phoned back, informed them that the person had moved, no I didn't have a forwarding address, but if they contacted the Estate Agents on X number, they might be able to help.

Every time this was greeted with a 'thank you very much' etc - one or two of them asked me for my name etc, but not one of them contacted me again.

One did actually turn up at the front door. My wife just told them that we had bought the house, phone solictors etc and Estate agents if you want. Same thing again 'Thanks etc'.

So it does sound like some serious cowboys were at work.

insty66
20th Apr 2005, 17:46
Hoofie-
You might want to check your credit listings though. We moved into a house that had unpaid bills against it and despite many polite letters and phone calls (and a few not so polite) We still found ourselves marked down due to someone elses debt.
The only reason the baliffs didn't get to our door was the guys with guns on the main gate:}

Jerricho
20th Apr 2005, 17:51
I though the rules had changed regarding "blacklisting" a specific address. Only recently mind (last 18 months or so).

insty66
20th Apr 2005, 21:11
Jerricho:
It was several years ago so I bow to your superior knowlege.
:8 :ok: :E

Jerricho
20th Apr 2005, 22:06
so I bow to your superior knowlege

First time for everything then ;)

But seriously, I remember hearing about that "blacklisting of an address" thing when I first moved to Blighty. I couldn't believe the stupidity of it, especially when you're dealing with rental properties and alike.