PDA

View Full Version : Emirates - EDI next?

Joe Curry
19th Apr 2005, 06:58
Edinburgh Lined-up for Direct Flight to Dubai? (http://business.scotsman.com/transport.cfm?id=413652005)

GustyOrange
19th Apr 2005, 07:32
I don't see any direct quotes to confirm this story.

Indeed the same chap is quoted as saying they are looking at GLA going double daily.

I would say that is far more likely as it would connect with the nonstop SYD flight.

Gusty

Joe Curry
19th Apr 2005, 11:48
I don't see any direct quotes to confirm this story.

The eyes of the beholder?:{

GrahamK
19th Apr 2005, 12:33
I will also have to say that I will believe it when I see it. Although would be great news for EDI and for Scotland if true

akerosid
19th Apr 2005, 12:45
I saw an interview with the EK executive, Mr. Longstaff and it looks as if EDI is certainly being considered; so too is GVA and ... (be still, my beating heart!), Dublin.

Here's hoping!

Bmused55
19th Apr 2005, 12:51
I think Emirates are following the same game plan as Continental.

Oshkosh George
19th Apr 2005, 13:04
'I don't see any direct quotes to confirm this story.'

Well,what the hell is this then? From Vice Pres Europe Ops---

Longstaff said: "We cannot ignore the other provincial centres; and in Scotland this means Edinburgh."

This daily GLA versus EDI supporter thing really gets me all BORED(censored!) Give it a rest!

Scottie
19th Apr 2005, 13:14
Typical soap dodging weegies though, always got a chip on their shoulder.

allanmack
19th Apr 2005, 14:27
Typical soap dodging weegies though, always got a chip on their shoulder.

Crikey Scottie, where did that comment come from??:confused:

Perhaps you might want to wash your mouth out with the soap that us Glaswegians don't use. No need for it on this forum.

GoEDI
19th Apr 2005, 14:56
It seems to be the way to go these days, operating from both airports, CO starting it. I have always believed that we will see EK at EDI on a regular basis before the decade is out, I'll stick to that belief. :)
If anything, it's more RDF money in EK's pockets.

Bmused55
19th Apr 2005, 15:00
Its the same thing on many forums all over the place. When something hints to good news for EDI, the GLAers come along and play it down.

Many GLAers would have had you believe CO were not going to fly to EDI from EWR, that EDI was not suitable and would not provide enough demand.

Well ha...to them, each flight from EDI leaves 90-95% full. I've flown it... chocka block outbound and inbound.

Longhaul from EDI has demand. The airlines that realise this and make a go of it will and are making good money.

If Emirate do indeed try EDI out, they'll probably not regret it.

Joe Curry
19th Apr 2005, 16:04
I think Emirates are following the same game plan as Continental.

Having already got a toe-hold in BAA
Scotland's empire, BAA would find it difficult to resist, on the same terms airlines are already paying.?:ok: :cool:

Scottie
19th Apr 2005, 16:15
Sorry was just trawling ;) Bit of banter, all good fun. :}

I hope Emirates does start a route out of EDI, it'll add to the pressure on BAA to expand the airport which had been neglected in the past in favour of GLA (not that I am in any way criticising GLA).

EK-LHR-LGW-GLA-MAN-B
19th Apr 2005, 17:26
Inside info=No

Chairman of EK has said all EK operations from Scotland will be from GLA but what ells do you expect from the Scotsman.......

Bmused55 i find your use of the word "ned" extremly ofencive and have made a complaint against you. If i were you i would not go around using language like this seen as you got banned from another forum for this just last week........

Caslance
19th Apr 2005, 18:02
If i were you i would not go around using language like this seen as you got banned from another forum for this just last week........That isn't completely true, my friend.

I'm in a position to know, because I was the Moderator who imposed the ban from that Forum.

Now, perhaps you'd care to tell the boys and girls here who else was given a final warning for the same reason at the very same time? Hmmm?

Or perhaps about the long-standing personal feud between you and the other person you were referring to above?

Profuse apologies for this, Mods, but I really couldn't let such a blatantly misleading posting about another member go unchallenged.

GoEDI
19th Apr 2005, 18:39
Inside info=No

Ha, you're the last person on this forum who I'd expect to have any 'inside info'!:suspect:

EK-LHR-LGW-GLA-MAN-B
19th Apr 2005, 18:44
Caslance - what the hell you talking about?

GoEDI - LOL is all i can say about you.

Bmused55
19th Apr 2005, 18:49
Inside info=No

Chairman of EK has said all EK operations from Scotland will be from GLA but what ells do you expect from the Scotsman.......

Bmused55 i find your use of the word "ned" extremly ofencive and have made a complaint against you. If i were you i would not go around using language like this seen as you got banned from another forum for this just last week.....

Spoken like the true GLA fan you are. Complain all you like, I made no reference to you or anyone else.

You're the one thats made a directed assault here.

GoEDI
19th Apr 2005, 18:53
GoEDI - LOL is all i can say about you.

Likewise! You expect anyone to believe anything you have to post regarding EDI given your 'track record'?! Inside info... pah! A quote from the ET at best, but probably conjured up by yourself.

PPRuNe Pop
19th Apr 2005, 19:15
OK. This forum this week has had more than its fair share of snipers and critics. This is just another example of that. Tit for tat and all that childish stuff.

Here is a suggestion you will like. Those who have been using supposedly naughty words have the ability to edit there own posts - please do it NOW!

Here is a suggestion you won't like as an alternative. I close the thread! Very simple very effective and gets rid of those who can't control themselves by slagging off anyone they choose. The lesson here is that it doesn't achieve anything and usually makes you look foolish. Got the point.

I'll be back to see if anyone has some sense. God know's we need some. :rolleyes:

Exasperated
19th Apr 2005, 21:54
PPrune Pop

I hope this passes the sense test

The GLA route has been very successful and proves there is a considerable market out there for O & D and hub traffic from Scotland. This will not have gone unnoticed by their competitors.

I am certain that Emirates would prefer not to operate from two airports so close together as this would incur higher costs, but the last thing Emirates would want is a competitor who may not want to go head to head at GLA and choose to operate from EDI against the Emirates GLA route.

Operating from both airports may be a spoiler to prevent this and ensure that fares are controlled by one operator.

Think about how Continental have developed in Scotland, who could easily have continued to grow their GLA-EWR route. By operating into EDI it has prevented competition from another US major as the route definitely would not support two carriers at this moment in time.

Having the monopoly to New York has helped enable CO to maintain higher fares than flights from other UK airports where competition exists.

This is an opinion but at least has some logic behind it.

More than can be said for many comments on this thread.

Any constructive comments on the above gratefully received

Ex

benedictus
19th Apr 2005, 21:55
IF EK were goping to fly out of EDI, they would have started their Scottish routes from there, but due to lack of Airbridge facilities at EDI, they decided on GLA and will develop that route (probably twice daily with 773) before they would even look at EDI again.

Oshkosh George
19th Apr 2005, 21:59
So EKs own European Ops Vice President is talking garbage then? You have the quote,I would say EDI has the nod.

But it matters to me not. I won't be using it, AND I have nothing against GLA getting it,even if the route was of interest to me. All this bickering is just very boring reading.

Bmused55
19th Apr 2005, 22:31
Exasperated

You're contradicting yourself.

First you say EK won't want to operate from both EDI and GLA due to costs (what ever thats supposed to mean!) But then you acknowledge CO doing this exact thing as a good tactical move.

Surely if EK were to operate from EDI too, they could eliminate or at least make it difficult for a competitor to start up the same route.

Now, I'm not saying EDI will get the route. I'm not even saying EDI should, but your argument doesn't realy hold water.

GrahamK
19th Apr 2005, 23:18
I think this thread should be shifted ton the "spotters" corner

Oshkosh George
19th Apr 2005, 23:39
The spotters took a vote--they don't want it!

Exasperated
19th Apr 2005, 23:40
Bmused55

Please reread the post, I never said they did not want to, I said they would prefer not to because it will cost more. Two set of overheads for base costs, loss of economies of scale that can be achieved by running a larger operation on one site, additional marketing costs, logistics, the list of extra costs is long (some small some bigger).

The success of the DXB-GLA roue will not be unnoticed by the competition who always want to muscle in on any profitable business opportunity.

I think you would agree that if EK can retain a monopoly operating from Scotland it could be very lucrative, bearing in mind that true competition always drives down yield.

So how can EK maintain this monopoly? They can up the frequency at GLA and risk a competitor such as Qatar or Etihad trying EDI or they could operate from both airports and risk someone going head to head at GLA using better timings for long haul connections ( a problem with the current timings for EK). One thing is for certain EK are not the sort of operation to sit back and wait for the competition to make the move.

The jury may be out on which way they will jump, either way it will be a hard headed business decision.

There is always the RDF as well, two bites are better than one.

My view is that they may go the EDI route, Continental have proved that operating from both can provide significant traffic growth and EK will have been watching how this has panned out. Of course they could surprise us all and do both, only time will tell.

Now where is that crystal ball?

Ex

Bmused55
19th Apr 2005, 23:43
I see your point now :)

EZGOEK330FO
20th Apr 2005, 04:59
Emirates has never done the logical thing regarding keeping the competition away from its good routes. We lost Toronto to our competitor down the road in Abu Dhabi and we lost Capetown aswell to Qatar Airways. If Emirates decides to go to EDI, and there are strong rumours internaly about this on our crew intranet, it will be because it merits a route from there. If I were to take a bet I would probably bet on EDI since GLA is already getting increased capacity with its 777 and the A330 is a great route starter. They can always... add a second daily flight to either place later on to connect with Asia/ Australia...

sparkymarky
20th Apr 2005, 08:21
All bickering aside, surely the crucial point here is that we can now see in Scotland a growing pattern of direct flights to international destinations?

We have Continental providing GLA and EDI direct flights to New York, Emirates direct from GLA (and maybe some day EDI) to Dubai, various flights to Canada, as well as the summer season flights from GLA to Chicago and Philadelphia.

If this trend continues, we can reasonably hope to see the seasonal services become year round, though perhaps on smaller aircraft, and maybe see a few other destinations enter the mix, such as Boston or Atlanta in the USA, and maybe an Asian destination such as India or Pakistan.

This has a triple benefit.

It reduces reliance on Heathrow for connections to other destinations.
It improves the likelihood of inbound visitors to the UK choosing to pay a visit to Scotland.
It opens up new trade opportunites - those Emirates 773s won't just be carrying more passengers but also greatly increased cargo loads.

All of this is good stuff - whether the wheels actually hit the tarmac in Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Bmused55
20th Apr 2005, 08:42
Exactly! Well said

GrahamK
20th Apr 2005, 09:30
Indeed, it's amazing how many carriers can successfully serve the regions whilst BA (sorry, London Airways) cannot

Bmused55
20th Apr 2005, 10:08
I can understand BAs method of operation.

But at the same time, I can't help wandering what might be if their heads weren't so firmly stuck in the Heathrow sand.
They could easily configure say 4 of their 757s to international config and take on CO.

They've missed a golden opportunity. transpond flights are where the money's at these days.

skyman771
20th Apr 2005, 13:19
Seems to me all this discussion about EDI vs GLA for EK may just be missing the point.
EK are obviously expanding to ensure that they are able to capitalise on the projected tourist boom in Dubai.
They are looking to expand incoming tourist trade not outgoing. Based upon this the more centres that they are able to capitalise on with separate UK catchment area's the better.
Thus on this basis EDI & GLA may present a completely different perspective to CO as opposed to EK. It would seem to present a much more sensible business case to expand the EK GLA operation as opposed to setting up another at EDI with an overlap in catchment areas.
A much more sensible operation would be to assume that BRS or NCL are more likely to attract an EK presence on or before EDI. EK has currently a strong regional prescence at MAN & BHX and clearly there are more untapped markets.

chippy63
20th Apr 2005, 15:24
GrahamK,
fair point, but remember that carriers like EK have a very high proportion of transit traffic through Dubai, which BA would not have.

skyman771
20th Apr 2005, 15:47
Bemused55
What on earth is the point of converting a number of 757's ?
Either BA wants to operate all longhaul through a limited number of hubs or it doesn't.
From a historic perspective & in absence of any obvious change in attitude, BA seems to have a well worn strategy & the regions don't figure too highly other than to feed its major hub.
Getting back to your point of converting what would be old 757's nearing the end of their "shelf life" , all you would be achieving is creating a "second level" airline not significantly different to one of many current IT airlines, with less suitable aircraft & with more expensive revenue costs.
Incidentally I have flown extensively with both BA & Continental on longhaul & in my opinion there is not much to choose between them- though BA may just "shade" it.
Are you suggesting that these 757's should be in "packem tight / sell them cheap" mode because you percieve that that is what is appropraite for a transatlantic service for the regions ?

Exasperated
20th Apr 2005, 17:08
Bmused55

Airlines want to use flights to feed into their hubs for onward travel. We're back to economies of scale again.This is why airlines like Continental fly from regional airports in the UK to the hub in Newark, similarly (but to a much smaller degree) is AA to Chicago.

The reverse is true for BA on flights from US airports as they concentrate the flights into their main hub at Heathrow. This also explains the move of long haul from Gatwick to Heathrow as BA ceased to use Gatwick as a hub, the flights remaining tend to be for point to point traffic.

As BA do not have a hub in the US it becomes more difficult to attract the passengers for onward travel.So you appear to get the perverse situation where a British aiirline operates from more US airports into the UK and US airlines dominate UK regional airports. Strange but true.

So while the idea of using a 757 from regional airports to the US may be laudable, BA would not have a hub at either end of the flight reducing potential traffic to mainly point to point. Now CO to EWR, AA to ORD, US to PHL etc can take advantage of their US hubs making regional flights from the UK more feasible in their eyes.

Now, my question to you all is:

Why has this not changed with the implementation of code share arrangements which create "notional" hubs outside your country?

Skyman

Your point on other regional airports is valid, but, sadly if you have long haul scheduled services (even just one in the case of EDI) you are far more likely to attract more. In a way airlines are like lemmings, sticking together where the traffic has been proved.

And that, my friends at EDI/GLA goes a long way to explaining why the charter airlines and long haul have concentrated at GLA and the European route developments are mainly at EDI. There are many examples of such throughout the world and some much nearer to home.Wherever EK expand next in the UK, be thankful, as it is not that long ago you couldn't fly from any regional airport to any eastern country (Manchester excepted).

Ex

CentreFix25
21st Apr 2005, 19:46
Picked this up of another site, spanner in the works?

Emirates won't open Geneva route Apr 21
Emirates Airlines will not be starting service from Dubai to Geneva on December 1st as the airline had announced. The airline has a lack of aircraft or has to reassign the aircraft to other routes. It is possible that other new destinations will not be started either.

Scottie
21st Apr 2005, 20:18
Skyman771. Thought provoking post, however you don't appreciate the central Scotland market.

East coasters will not travel through to the West and West coasters won't travel through to the East! Sound tripe but it's true!

My other half is a chartered surveyor in a worldwide company which needs to maintain an office both in Edinburgh and Glasgow to win any business, whereas there office in Manchester serves the whole of North England from Lancaster to Newcastle etc. If you're based in the East you won't win GLA work and vice versa because each side seem to like doing business with their own people!

That coupled with the phenominal growth in Edinburgh and the Lothians means that the money has shifted to the East Coast (not good in my humble opinion as EDI is getting crowded....).

All this gives Emirates a reason to move into EDI. Remember EDI was their preferred airport but couldn't, and still can't handle a 777.....

GoEDI
21st Apr 2005, 20:28
not good in my humble opinion as EDI is getting crowded....).

Getting?;)

All this gives Emirates a reason to move into EDI. Remember EDI was their preferred airport but couldn't, and still can't handle a 777.....

Can squeeze in a B772, but B773s probably aren't to be encouraged.;)

EZGOEK330FO
21st Apr 2005, 22:05
CentreFix25, where did you see this article regarding canceling the Geneva route. I cannot find it anywhere on the web?
Cheers

GoEDI
22nd Apr 2005, 12:06
where did you see this article regarding canceling the Geneva route. I cannot find it anywhere on the web

http://www.gva.ch/en/default.htm

Not cancelled, but 'posponed'.

CentreFix25
22nd Apr 2005, 18:53
Cheers my man, saved me the bother - time spare for another beer.