PDA

View Full Version : Snail Porridge

ORAC
19th Apr 2005, 06:34
BBC: Snail porridge restaurant's award

A restaurant which serves quail jelly and snail porridge has been named the best restaurant in the world. The Fat Duck in Bray, Berkshire, was one of 14 UK eateries, competing in The World's 50 Best Restaurants 2005 awards, hosted by Restaurant magazine......

Ella Johnston, editor of Restaurant, said: "I am very pleased with the 2005 list as it shows just how far Britain has come in terms of culinary output and the range of experiences we offer."

The Fat Duck, owned by Michelin-starred chef Heston Blumenthal, also won the Best Restaurant in Europe category.

The eatery offers three menus including a £37.50 lunch menu boasting fig purée with red wine, pumpkin risotto with hazelnut and rosemary, braised belly of pork and poached halibut.

A three-course a la carte menu costs £67.50 and offers customers crab with roast foie gras, oyster ravioli with goats cheese and truffle, saddle of venison and best end of lamb.

But for £97.50, guests can enjoy snail porridge, sardine on toast sorbet and smoked bacon and egg ice-cream.

:confused: :confused:

Rollingthunder
19th Apr 2005, 06:48
The restauant has developed a reputation for combining ingredients in an unorthodox method. Will pass on snail porridge tho'.

There are restaurants in China that specialize in cooked insects and at least one in Mexico that serves rat.

Each to his own.

maggioneato
19th Apr 2005, 06:49
Yuk, they would have to pay me to eat that. :yuk:

The SSK
19th Apr 2005, 08:59
Anybody see Jilly Goolden last night on the Holiday programme drinking elephant dung juice? Her face was a picture.

Yorks.ppl
19th Apr 2005, 09:14
That menu sounds like it was writen by the same group of ppruners that frequent the "finish the sentence thread"

Jerricho
19th Apr 2005, 11:37
But for £97.50, guests can enjoy snail porridge

Kerrist!! One could go out and pick them out of the garden for nothing.

I got some deer-poo burgers if somebody wants to try them.

tall and tasty
19th Apr 2005, 12:15
There are restaurants in China that specialize in cooked insects

My next door neighbours when I was a child, who lived in Africa for years, used to serve deep fried giant ants and chocolate coated spiders at dinner parties :yuk: :yuk:

I hated going around for even tea as I never knew what you would get. I remember a large vat of snails blubing away of the stove and the mother pushing the escaping ones back in the boiling mixture :eek:

TnT

Jerricho
19th Apr 2005, 13:20
used to serve deep fried giant ants

I had ants once. They tasted like walnuts.

ORAC
19th Apr 2005, 13:47
Better than having crabs..... :E

Standard Noise
19th Apr 2005, 16:07
.......and boiling them might be a tad painful.:eek:

Jerricho
19th Apr 2005, 16:12
I guess shelling them could be a bit of a chore as well.

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Apr 2005, 20:50
Fried termites are sort of buttery, almost like popcorn and mopani worms (type of caterpillar found in mopani trees) have a flavour similar to sweetcorn. Great in a tomato and onion gravy over corn porridge.

Grew up eating the stuff and at 6'4" it can't have done any harm.

Hilico
19th Apr 2005, 21:06
I was invited to a cannibal feast once. You know what? We taste like chicken.

tony draper
19th Apr 2005, 21:11
A word of advice,if ever you go up the Amazon,do not under any circumstance lick the local toads.
:uhoh:

answer=42
19th Apr 2005, 21:16
Had forest rat in Sulawesi, Indonesia.
Much too spicy for me. And the tiny bones...

reynoldsno1
19th Apr 2005, 22:09
mrsr1 and r1jr like mangda, a very pungent Thai water beetle - I prefer sausages, to be honest....

Blacksheep
20th Apr 2005, 01:35
I once worked under a Flight Sergeant who was an ex-Japanese POW. He reckoned you can eat anything if you're starving. Snail porridge you say? I'll have to think about that. Probably OK if you smother it with plenty of roast fermented prawn paste and chillies.

I'll have to think again about that dreadful porridge I was given every morning in that Singapore hospital.

lilly-livered, bed-wetting, commo, frilly-underwear liberal sychophant

Rollingthunder
20th Apr 2005, 01:43
One of The Fat Duck's menus:

NITRO-GREEN TEA AND LIME MOUSSE
ORANGE AND BEETROOT JELLY
OYSTER, PASSION FRUIT JELLY, HORSERADISH CREAM, LAVENDER
POMMERY GRAIN MUSTARD ICE CREAM, RED CABBAGE GAZPACHO
JELLY OF QUAIL, LANGOUSTINE CREAM, PARFAIT OF FOIE GRAS

SNAIL PORRIDGE
Jabugo Ham, shaved fennel

ROAST FOIE GRAS
Almond fluid gel, cherry and chamomile

SARDINE ON TOAST SORBET
Ballotine of mackerel ‘invertebrate’, marinated daikon

SALMON POACHED WITH LIQUORICE
Asparagus, pink grapefruit, "Manni" olive oil

POACHED BREAST OF ANJOU PIGEON PANCETTA
Pastilla of its leg, pistachio, cocoa and quatre épices

WHITE CHOCOLATE AND CAVIAR
MRS MARSHALL’S MARGARET CORNET
PINE SHERBET FOUNTAIN

MANGO AND D0UGLAS FIR PUREE
Bavarois of lychee and mango, blackcurrant sorbet

CARROT AND ORANGE TUILE,
BAVAROIS OF BASIL
BEETROOT JELLY

SMOKED BACON AND EGG ICE CREAM
Pain perdu, tea jelly

LEATHER, OAK AND TOBACCO CHOCOLATES
PRALINE ROSE TARTLET

Kaptin M
20th Apr 2005, 01:52
You know what? We taste like chicken. Pork, in fact :D

The Japanese eat tiny fish (about the size of guppies), alive and swimming, amongst other things.

Blacksheep
20th Apr 2005, 09:11
Oh, you mean Ikan Bilis? Over here we dry them in the sun, then pan fry them in smoking hot oil until they stop crackling. Serve with a sambal made from fermented shrimp paste and chillies. Yum, yum!

Solid Rust Twotter
20th Apr 2005, 21:49
Sounds like Ndagala, also known as kapenta. Small fish, rolled in flour and fried whole. Served with aioli and pili-pili and a glass of beer. Great bar snacks.:ok:

BOFH
20th Apr 2005, 22:06
Blacksheep

My grandfather was in the (involuntary) employ of the Japanese Empire.

I didn't taste rice until I was 22 years of age.

Pity that he died just as I was getting sentient to ask where the torpedoes hit.

On a lighter note, am I going blind or has there been no reference to the Crunchy Frog yet?

BOFH

Jerricho
20th Apr 2005, 22:07
or has there been no reference to the Crunchy Frog yet?

That's not a nice thing to call Grandpa :E

Blacksheep
22nd Apr 2005, 07:36
BOFH my in-laws were beneficiaries of the The Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere and many of them didn't taste rice for several years either. Even after 60 years I wouldn't recommend offering any of the older members of the family anything made from tapioca. Boiled mashed tapioca root and kangkong leaves get a tad boring after a while.