PDA

View Full Version : A-380 Link

Howard Hughes
18th Apr 2005, 23:30
A-380 (http://www.planepictures.net/netsearch4.cgi?srch=F-WWOW&srng=2&stype=reg)

Got this link from another website, great pics of the A-380 in testing. Look at the height of the tail! Will it ever fly?

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

Capn Bloggs
19th Apr 2005, 00:14
HH,

That's what they asked your namesake some years ago. Of course it will. The nose is ugly tho. Nice big fin to break off easily when some ham-fisted knuck tries a derry-turn recovery from wake turbulence. :suspect: The worst-looking aeroplane the frogs have produced... looks like not enough reds for the designers during lunch.

gaunty
19th Apr 2005, 00:52
Hmmm if they'd put some picture type windows at the front end of the top deck, I'd have paid money for the seats.:p

TLAW
19th Apr 2005, 02:40
Bloody hell, Gaunty - that's a great idea! Maybe you should put it to them...

Ultralights
19th Apr 2005, 08:34
with a tail that tall! and the overall size of the fuse, i would imagine it would take quite a bit of effort to sideslip!

Obiwan
19th Apr 2005, 08:45
To put things in perspective - here's a little comparison I found on the web

http://home.hccnet.nl/y.a.cathalina/Personal/747-v-380.jpg

still, the fin IS pretty big...

Howard Hughes
19th Apr 2005, 11:39
Thats probably why there are'nt that many Mriya's.
The A-380 is a whole different proposition, it's going to be mass produced!!

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

PS: Why no comparison of the HERCULES (Spruce Goose)?

PPS: Kinda like the windows upstairs idea, paint it red and it would be just like riding the number 52 to the Willesden depot!!

Obiwan
19th Apr 2005, 12:37
Thats probably why there are'nt that many Mriya's.
Still - you gotta admit, its a bloody big plane!

Chimbu chuckles
20th Apr 2005, 01:07
I saw the An 225 Mriya at Sharjah a few months ago...it's very big:ooh:

Woomera
20th Apr 2005, 06:50
chuckles

An 225 Mriya ?

I don't think it flies, so much as monsters the air into submission.;)

And then there's always that darn No2 engine to worry about as usual.:}

Specnut727
20th Apr 2005, 21:06
Thanks for the link Howard. Great pics, and yes, the noze is UGLY !

The inboard engines appear to be angled down at the front.

Does anyone know why ?

itchybum
20th Apr 2005, 21:16
Could be an illusion from the camera angle but not sure.

If they are (angled downward) it might be to do with the fact that only the in-boards have reverse thrust systems. Maybe they want a more horizontal thrust vector for braking purposes.

The outboards might have a slight downward thrust vector to assist in getting the beast's fat guts off the ground!!

VH-Cheer Up
20th Apr 2005, 22:06
I expect the thrust centreline of each engine will be parallel to one another once the weight is suspended by the wings* rather than supported by the landing gear.

i.e. when in flight, all the engines will be pointing the same way.

You'd hope...

VHCU

* Because the wings flex up more, the further away from the root and towards the tips, so donkey 1 & 4 will be flexed up more than the 2 & 3.

Specnut727
21st Apr 2005, 12:11
Thanks VHCU.

I had another look at the pics and it would appear that as the wingtips deflected upward, the inlet of 1 and 4 would need to go down to match 2 and 3. For that to happen I think the wing would need to twist between inner and outer pylons, changing the angle of attack.

Seems curious. Hopefully we won't have long to wait for some in-flight pics and all will be revealed.

Spec.

Ultralights
22nd Apr 2005, 11:58
the engine intakes are angled forward because of the RAF! the Relative airflow is up and over the wing! and with large amounts of lift, the air is drawn up from a good distance below and in front of the wing! just look at the smoking rivets and water staining around the windows on the fusealage in front of the leading edge!!!! the airflow over the windows for about 10 ft in front of the leading edge is a good 30 deg up!

just as you will find the 2 and 3 engine on the 747 is angled inwards to account for aerodynamic deflection off the fusealage!

also, isnt efficient cruis in about a 3 deg nose up attitude?

and just 1 last thing!

Video of the Airbus A380 first flight! a couple of circuits! sounds a little different to what i expected!
http://grenadeindoor.modelisme.com/A380/a380.wmv

1279shp
23rd Apr 2005, 23:48
From the pic link here it looks like its only the inboards have Reverse thrust. After some looking it seems that is the case.

Interesting pics/comments here..

A380 Reverse (http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/2055667/)

Ultralights
24th Apr 2005, 01:00
does the A380 have a triple or only the double sloted flap system? in the pics posted above, looks only to be a double setup.