PDA

View Full Version : SAA pilot fails, get's fired and re-admitted (Afrikaans)

Gunship
18th Apr 2005, 19:05
Sorry will search for an English version ...

WOWwww SAA has changed :E

Vlieënier druip, word afgedank en kry wéér kans by SAL

Wolfram Zwecker 18/04/2005 00:58 - (SA)

Die Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens het gister geswyg oor bewerings dat 'n leerlingvlieënier wat in 'n stadium as derde vlieënier op oorsese vlugte diens gedoen het, maar weens swak vliegvermoë afgedank is, nou weer in diens geneem is om weer te probeer.

"Mnr. Michael Ranft is tans in diens van die SAL en sal binne die volgende paar maande vlieëniersopleiding ondergaan. Tans vlieg hy nie en hy sal eers weer as 'n vlieënier heraangestel word sodra hy aan die vereiste SAL-standaarde voldoen.

"Mnr. Ranft het in die verlede wel diens gedoen as aflosvlieënier op Airbus A340-vliegtuie, maar hy was in daardie stadium opgelei daarvoor," het mnr. Onkgopotse JJ Tabane, SAL se adjunkpresident: korporatiewe kommunikasie en regeringskakeling, gister op navrae geantwoord.

'n Vlieënier van die Suid-Afrikaanse Lugmag wat ook verskeie kere toetse gedruip het, maar nieteenstaande vlieënier geword het, is verlede week tydens 'n opleidingsvlug dood toe sy vliegtuig neergestort het.

In vlieënierskringe word beweer dat die SAL-geval in talle aspekte ooreenkom met die geval van die lugmagvlieënier.

Volgens Die Burger se inligting het Ranft in 2003 by die SAL aangesluit, nadat hy 'n draai by die Swazilandse lugmag en die Suid-Afrikaanse burgerlugvaartowerheid gemaak het.

Hy het in Junie 2003 met sy aanpassingsopleiding as vlieënier begin, maar nie aan die vereiste standaarde voldoen nie.

Hy het bykomende opleiding ontvang en ná 'n geruime tyd het hy daarin geslaag om "met moeite" die vereiste standaarde te haal.

In daardie stadium het hy as aflosvlieënier diens gedoen, maar kort daarna het hy sy vereiste ses maandelikse vaardigheidstoetse gedruip. Elke vlieënier van die SAL moet elke ses maande die vaardigheidstoetse aflê. Hy het weer bykomende opleiding ondergaan, maar weer nie aan die vereistes voldoen nie. Ná 'n verdere "forensiese oudit" van sy hele opleidingsproses, is hy afgedank.

Tabane het teen gistermiddag geen vrae wat Donderdag en Vrydag aan hom gestuur is, beantwoord oor hoekom Ranft nou weer aangestel is en hoekom hy weer 'n geleentheid kry om weer opgelei te word nie.

Kapt. Piet Taljaard, voorsitter van die Lugdiensvlieëniersvereniging (Alpa) het gistermiddag gesê hulle sal binnekort kommentaar lewer oor die geval.

Eric Adjei
18th Apr 2005, 19:22
Hey Gunns speak da language mon

Gunship
18th Apr 2005, 20:26
Welcome to PPRUNE Eric :ok:

Sorry mate - still searching for an English version of this ..

In short the SAA pilot failed his test and proficiency and was eventually fired.

But now - he get's another chance out of the blue ..

He used to fly for the Swaziland Def Force and also had an about turn at CAASA.

I am still searching ... :ok:

ou Trek dronkie
19th Apr 2005, 09:51
Hi Gunzzz,

Yes, that's right. Michael was also on one of the "secret" SAAF courses, if I rememer correctly.

Quite a nice lad.

oTd

krobar
19th Apr 2005, 12:33
The report(er) does hint towards similarities to a recent airforce crash victim's situation. Don't know how fair that is, but seems to be the theme of the report.

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Apr 2005, 14:47
Any more gen on the circumstances and the reason for rehiring? Loss of seniority, pension, et al compensated for?

Gunship
19th Apr 2005, 14:51
Yeah Krobar - the author definately made sure it was heard (right or wrong).

He makes the point that both failed subjects ... same as I did :E

leginheli
19th Apr 2005, 17:40
It is amazing how this dude gets a second chance yet the rest of us with fixedwing ATP's who have applied several times don't even get a lookin!! Isn't africa great!!:*

Gunship
19th Apr 2005, 17:43
It's called "transformation" or commonly known as "reverse apartheid" :E

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Apr 2005, 18:43
Not a Mazungu, then.....?

Thought the playing field was being levelled somewhat.

Skaz
19th Apr 2005, 18:48
the playing field is only level for the 'indigenous population' who are playing downhill, in more ways than one:{

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Apr 2005, 18:54
More or less what I meant, Skaz. Thought the mazungus were also getting a look in. Not much chance of that happening, I guess.

Gauteng Pilot
20th Apr 2005, 10:14
"The Citizen" newspaper had this story on page 6 today (20th) and they say that fellow SAA pilots are worried about the drop in standards

BAKELA
20th Apr 2005, 18:59
SAAPA was on 702 this PM. They (SAAPA) are not happy with SAA's top management (I'm talking about the BIG BOSS) not replying to their question(s). SAA's senior PRO (some or other bigwhig who's name I don't care to remember) apparently also said SAAPA is out to discredit the airline! Nogal!!!

Until the smoke is thick and the hole is big!

SA Fred
20th Apr 2005, 21:11
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20050420092540228C743933

Cirrus SR22
20th Apr 2005, 21:17
www.iol.co.za

The South African Airways Pilots Association (Saapa) has expressed concern over safety standards at the airline after the reinstatement of a pilot dismissed after failing proficiency tests.

Michael Ranft "was reinstated despite the fact that he failed the proficiency tests required to demonstrate his competence as an SAA pilot, and despite having been dismissed from SAA for poor performance," Saapa chairperson Captain Piet Taljaard said.

In a letter sent to SAA chief executive Khaya Ngqula in March, Taljaard expressed Saapa's concerns over the reinstatement and asked him to intervene in the Ranft case to ensure safety standards were upheld.

"Saapa... as custodians of flight safety within SAA has an obligation to uphold the highest possible standard of safety and operational integrity," said Taljaard.

The association had not yet received Ngqula's response.

Ranft began his pilot's training at SAA in 2003, but was unable to meet required standards.

He received additional training and managed to meet the standards "with difficulty".

A short while later he failed the required six-monthly competence test, received additional training and was once again not up to standard.

He was dismissed following a forensic audit of his training.

SAA said Ranft had not been reinstated "willy nilly", and that he was being retrained before being allowed to fly again.

"Saapa knows fully well that the pilot is undergoing retraining according to aviation regulations - only then will he be allowed anywhere near the cockpit," SAA spokesperson Onkgopotse JJ Tabane said in a statement. - Sapa

This article was originally published on page 3 of The Daily News on April 20, 2005

Published on the Web by IOL on 2005-04-20 09:25:00

BMM389EC
21st Apr 2005, 02:32
Luckily Comair had some standards - he applied there and didnt hack it.

cavortingcheetah
21st Apr 2005, 04:10
:) Does a Forensic Audit, whatever that may be, include a blood test for evidence of chronic alcohol or drug abuse?
Innocent question, ain't it? ;)

spacedaddy
22nd Apr 2005, 12:23
You either got it or you don't. I know I wouldn't be a competent barin surgeon or rocket scientist even with extra training. Really makes me wonder about flying SAA. Seems like safety is no longer first. Shame! It's plain scary.

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Apr 2005, 15:12
Still in the dark here. I know it's not supposed to make any difference:rolleyes: , but is this person a PDI? It may go some way to explaining a lot of things here...

nyathi
22nd Apr 2005, 15:16
As far as I can remember Mr. M Ranft was a Flight Instructor at 43 Air School, after he did a stint in the Swazi Air Force. He then went to SACAA and worked there for a few years. Strange to hear all this about him, he was a much liked person and always very helpfull. I suppose there is a standard and that the system will deal with this.

B Sousa
22nd Apr 2005, 16:09
Somebody is not putting out the "True Story" as what we see from a distance is a guy who: 1. was/is an Instructor. 2. was in an Air Force as a Pilot. 3. Holds an ATP and now cannot cut the mustard........???
Sounds like something is wrong. You dont forget this stuff overnight. Someone got the BBs to fill in "the rest of the story".
I had to take the Air Law exam twice and Im not ashamed to admit it. It just cost me a few Beers.

Herc130
22nd Apr 2005, 17:12
Hi there, Bert.

Mr Ranft as far as I know was not the holder of an ATP at the time of his appointment at SAA. In the training environment he was quite notorious as a member of the CAA Training (Part 141) inspectorate and flunking a C550 conversion. He apparently only got into SAA through political connections after several selection committees.

I think he must have been to busy bonking to worry about flying. Rumour has it he has five wife and 11 children, not including the mistresses and unknown children. If the old saying of bonking too much makes, you blind is true maybe he should go for an eye test:} :rolleyes:

TooBadSoSad
22nd Apr 2005, 19:34
Of course he's a PDI. Do you honestly think SAA would give a white pilot a second chance?? Heard he's related to Jeff Radebe.

fluffyfan
22nd Apr 2005, 21:06
This is what I hear from Instructors, apparently yes he failed, badly, was given second chance, failed again...........was fired, he does have some connections apparently because his case was reviewed (political interference)........................the reason they reinsated the guy "Instructors reports were contradictory" apparently one instuctor had written "nice progress" or "coming along nicely" something to that effect................so there you have it, what can I say, similar to the airforce story of a non white person can not fail...........lets not go there

deeceethree
26th Apr 2005, 19:40
I saw this sort of thing happen in Zimbabwe. Its the start of the cancerous rot and there is NOTHING that can be done to stop it. Absolutely nothing.

Dr Know
29th Apr 2005, 17:18
Give him anader chans...give him anader chans!:mad: