PDA

View Full Version : Airtran rumor

markg1220
18th Apr 2005, 17:16
Anyone heard anything about Airtran? Word from a FO is that they announced that they are going to announce something big :} , very shortly. Possibly when Q1 report comes out. Merger or buyout maybe? Should be interesting.

Inuksuk
19th Apr 2005, 15:11
Can't help there on rumours with the Elton John outfit, but tons of rumours on SWA and US getting together...

wingview
19th Apr 2005, 21:11
Maybe ordering the A380...?!:p

markg1220
19th Apr 2005, 21:22
:yuk: I hope not.

I thought ATL wouldn't support it anyway.

Maybe they are going international?
Maybe a buyout of Midwest?

Should be interesting

Oshkosh George
19th Apr 2005, 21:48
Possible take-over of ATA? They already took some gates off them.

seacue
20th Apr 2005, 00:01
ATA????

Southwest (not Airtran) bought a number of ATA gates at Midway. SWA also code-share on some ATA routes (Hawaii for example) and lent ATA a considerable sum of money to keep them flying.

Airtran's fleet is unique being based on the Boeing 717. SWA is 100% B737, and I can't see them adding a small number (for them) of another type. I'd think Boeing would have to agree to swap out the 717s for 737s for SWA to be interested. Who thinks Boeing would do that?

Again, US wouldn't seem to be a takeover target for WN/SWA due to the fleet-commonality consideration. WN might cherry-pick the corpse of US, though. And maybe WN might really take over ATA as a separate subsidiary and assign pieces of US to it.

KATLPAX
20th Apr 2005, 06:03
Airtran recently aquired a few 737's for their ATL- west coast routes (LAS, SFO, LAX). As for rumors, well how about a merger with Frontier? Or maybe Jet Blue? Would certainly allow for a good network of cities, Airtran primarily east coast and both Jet Blue and Frontier west. But what do I know...

Inuksuk
20th Apr 2005, 11:22
Frontier seems like the logical rumour to come to fruition...VERY interesting..

MarkD
20th Apr 2005, 13:26
Just when Frontier trumpeting going all Airbus they go back to being a Boeing customer? Sounds like an Air Canada plan :D

Flyrr100
1st May 2005, 14:33
Can't help there on rumours with the Elton John outfit, but tons of rumours on SWA and US getting together...

Right! Herb Keller said once in an interview, when asked what does he think the reasons are for SWA's succses... " Three things, US Airways, US Airways, and US Airways".

A merge between US & SWA is comical!
:confused: