PDA

View Full Version : Aeroflot

eight iron special
18th Apr 2005, 16:56
I have a friend flying Aeroflot from Moscow to London.

I haven't heard anything about Aeroflot for a long time. Can anyone advise how their safety record has been over the past ten years or so. At one time, it wasn't so good as I recall.

Any insight would be appreciated - I'd like to put my friend's mind at ease (a nervous passenger).

Thanks,

Old King Coal
18th Apr 2005, 18:51
If it helps... the Aeroflot website (http://www.aeroflot.com/eng/)

View From The Ground
18th Apr 2005, 21:29
This link may help

Looks like their record has been OK recently.... No fatalities in last 10 years

http://aviation-safety.net/database/operator/airline.php?var=6824

Last fatalaties of the international airline seem to be from when the pilot a little unwisely let his kid fly the plane.....

I think this is the story for International routes....domestic may be a different story...however you should bear in mind the number of miles they fly...some of the places they fly into etc etc

BEagle
19th Apr 2005, 07:31
And they've finally banned smoking on board the a/c now!

WHBM
19th Apr 2005, 12:46
Aeroflot is fine, quite up to International standards. Most London flights now seem to be on the new A321s (new this year) which have displaced the A310s; also a few flights still on the Il-96, which is the latest Russian widebody type. Food compared to BA is same quality but more substantial.

Flight deck, rather than the Flying Club instructor / Shed mail run / Ryanair FO progression, are probably high-time ex-Russian Air Force jocks. Always surprising how many flight deck crew they take on trips to the west, three/four is common even on the A320.

Presume friend is originating in Russia, the main reason for selecting Aeroflot over BA or vice-versa is firstly price (Aeroflot cheaper) and secondly which side of Moscow you live on; BA use DME, SU use SVO. They are opposite sides of a large metropolitan area and thus a long way apart. Because of the higher proportion of Russians on the SU flights the bar stocks get drained even quicker than on the BA Moscow flights, but friend is presumably used to the culture :ooh: