PDA

View Full Version : CD burning from MD recording

Cornish Jack
18th Apr 2005, 11:04
I've been burning CDs from original MD recordings made at charity Choral concerts for some time. The CDs are for the choir members (at slightly less than cost!)
Initially the main problem was the recordings were 'topping out' (too much volume), quite frequently, but the recording levels were automatic, and the results were very good. I still use automatic recording level but, on transfer to one 'pooter', the hard drive version is ruined by a continuous 'motor boat' background. On the other machine, there is no extraneous background but the recording level is VERY low and normalising it produces heavy 'Hiss'.
Both machines use AC 97 sound function (MB built-in) and I don't have any spare slots for sound cards.
Anyone have any thoughts on the problem and/or (more importantly!!) any solutions?
TIA

ORAC
18th Apr 2005, 11:29
Audigy USB (http://www.soundblaster.com/products/audigy2NX/welcome.asp?reg=2)

Cornish Jack
18th Apr 2005, 14:32
Of course!! :O
Many thanks, ORAC:ok:

Cornish Jack
25th Apr 2005, 10:49
Some days later!!!:(
Used the principle of ORAC's advice and purchased and installed an external USB sound card - the TRUST EAX 2.0.
On restart, instant BSOD! :eek: The major info on screen was "BAD_POOL_CALLER"
Switched off and then on again, after 10 seconds, and was offered the usual options including 'restart Windows normally'. Took this option and all was well with everything working normally. The BSOD, by the way, appeared during the boot process at the point where the Trust card initialises.
Have done a Google search for BAD_POOL_CALLER and, so far, haven't understood a word of any of the offered advice on the 900+ pages!!:=
Anyone out there able to explain the problem and any solutions .... IN SIMPLE TERMS, please?
TIA
PS The onboard sound function has been disabled in the BIOS 'cos otherwise the Trust card wouldn't do anything.
:confused:

ORAC
25th Apr 2005, 11:38
A BAD_POOL_CALLER error normally indicates that a driver incorrectly attempted to perform memory operations. This message is typically due to a faulty driver or software.

Uninstall the software and drivers and try a fresh reload. if it still occurs, go to their home site and see if they have an updated version.

Cornish Jack
25th Apr 2005, 13:22
Many thanks, again, ORAC.
I'll give that a whirl. Any thoughts as to why the driver makes the call on the initial boot-up but not on the subsequent boot from the prompt screen?
TIA

ORAC
25th Apr 2005, 16:39
Might be a different order in which the drivers are loaded and access then release the same memory. The first way they overlap, the second way they donīt.

Cornish Jack
26th Apr 2005, 19:18
Thanks again, ORAC.
Got the latest from Trust and loaded it but results as before:(
I'm just wondering if running it on a USB 1 socket rather than the USB 2 might make a difference ... will try it anyway.
The other possibility is to try it on W98 - the pooter is dual boot ... I become increasingly disenchanted with Redmond's latest issuing :yuk:

ORAC
26th Apr 2005, 20:31
Typical windows. I generally find I start running into problems every 6 months as I add programs and updates. I do a back up of favourites&files&cookies, then reformat and load all the software from scratch in a logical order and the problems go away.

Time consuming though, i find a full reformat, install and then back up takes me about 12 hours / even if I don't have to be at the machine the whole time.

Cornish Jack
3rd May 2005, 18:32
Just a quick update on this.
I've changed the connection from USB 1 to USB 2 (yes, I got it the wrong way round in my previous!) and the pooter boots up without any problems. Recording is now super with more volume than I need!!
Thanks again, ORAC