PDA

View Full Version : New Navaids for Polokwane Int'l Airport

EX-ATC
18th Apr 2005, 07:13
Good News for all going into Polokwane International. Local aviation systems company just received the contract to upgrade the navaids at Polokwane. No need for diversions as a result of faulty systems.

The DME is already installed and the other systems (DVOR/DME and ILS/DME) to be installed late June 2005. Unfortunately I don't think the plates will be ready for use at the same time.

The systems (DVOR/DME) are the same as installed at FALA. (the latest technology)

Solid Rust Twotter
18th Apr 2005, 07:23
While the system in Cape Town which is far busier and has less diversion fields continues to be ignored.:rolleyes:

Wonder which genius thought this one up? A political decision, perhaps, as are so many in SA these days. Maybe the premier of the province is tired of going by road when the weather's not so good.

Cynical? Me......?:E

EX-ATC
20th Apr 2005, 06:14
SRT

It's not clear to me what you mean with the systems in CT and which systems in particular. The systems (ILS and DVOR) in CT from an equipment point of view is from the the best supplier in the world but if there is a problem it could be on the maintenance of the systems. Currently ATNS is doing the maintenance on the equipment. "Please refer to ACSA does it again"

As for Polokwane, there has been a request from a certain operator to have an ILS installed in order to move his operation to Polokwane. It will be the second privately owned ILS in the country after KMIA.

Everybody is complaining about ATNS's fees but in order to give you as the user the best equipment and service available someone needs to pay for the equipment.

wheels up
21st Apr 2005, 11:30
Come on Ex-ATC - spit it out, who's the operator??

Herc130
22nd Apr 2005, 17:19
Went it FAPP (what happened to FAPB:{ ) my old SAAF base yesterday, got DME at 96 nm and needle live at 78nm, a great improvement from the last couple of attempts where DME was lost at 5nm.:cool:

EX-ATC
23rd Apr 2005, 04:32
Checks with CAA flightcal report. However it should improve with the installation of the DVOR as a result of a better position. Good to hear its an improvement.

Reason for the operator to move to Polokwane is the reduction of the operating cost out of FAJS. With the masterplan that is currently on the table, I personnaly think it is possible to establish Polokwane as a cargo hub.

OverRun
23rd Apr 2005, 11:03
Ex-ATC,

I saw an extract of the masterplan about the freight side and read the bit about the potential for becoming a freight hub, including the positive words by Africa Air and TAAG. It sounds exciting and a JIA hub-buster and congestion/cost-buster solution but (and I'm probably showing my ignorance here) I couldn't see what made PIA the potential freight hub and JIA bypass. I guess I was looking for locally driven demand for export (i.e. such as flowers or fresh produce) and/or a locally based airline that drives the hub. The Martinair comment in the masterplan about 'lack of cargo resources at PIA "lack of Customs, freight forwarders etc would deter a lot of potential operators" is a question. I like the thought and see the potential, just as Lanseria shows the JIA passenger bypass potential - but just what will drive freight at PIA?

Herc130
23rd Apr 2005, 12:53
Rumour has it that Wonderboom may in the near future get int'l status, and that they are seriously concidering a longer runway, for freight ops. Rail and road almost in place and right in Gauteng, might give PIA something to think about?:eek:

EX-ATC
24th Apr 2005, 08:53
I believe that FAWB has applied for Int'l Status and that the commission investigating the issue from gvmt side is in place.

However my concern is the following: 1. The airspace around JIA,WKLF, FALA etc. is already so busy and guys trying to get airborne from FAWB on IF flightplans can confirm this. You normally get HBV 8000. From getting Int'l status the next issue is to equip the aerodrome with the necessary navaids in order to secure some revenue stream as well as to ensure that flight coming to WB will get in. Airspace extentions is a must in order to accommodate navaids (VOR/ILS) on WB. How will this have an influence on the ops out of WK as you will have to think about dependant operations between WK and WB as a result of missed approaches etc. I'm sure the SAAF will play a major role and needs to be consulted before anything happens.

2. WB is better for scheduled flights vs FALA as FALA will never have an instrument runway (Categotised). The problem at FALA is that they do not have the space to extend their runway strip to the required 150m from centreline as required by ICAO. I agree FALA has gone through a lot of expantion and upgrade to be what they are at present. Better for road traffic etc but you as passenger and operator would like to have certainty on getting into the airfield especially running a scheduled ops. Certainly not the case at FALA due to a unreliable ILS.

With Polokwane to relieve some cargo traffic out of JIA, why not?