PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice please.

broken hearted!
17th Apr 2005, 20:15
Hi guys, this is the first time that i've ever written anything on this forum. I've been away from the airline industry for 3 years now, and due to my fiance and i splitting up, I would love to fly again. I've had 5 years flying experience with virgin atlantic and bmi. I've applied to BA, but know that it's a really tough airline to get into, and that even though I've flown before, I know that it doesn't guarantee me a job. I'm in Glasgow at the moment, but I want to move to London. As i'm having to start my life again, I was wondering if those of you who work for BA can tell me what the social life is like,and how easy it is to find people to flat share with.I look forward to hearing from you.

emmathestar
19th Apr 2005, 10:31
Im sorry about ur situation, i dont work for ba but excel, and the social life is good with that one!
i can send u some sites to look for accomodation if u want?? have u got a job then? xxx

keeperboy
19th Apr 2005, 11:00
The social life at BA is pretty good, but like everything it's pretty much what you make it.

The best thing about BA is also one of the worse things about it. It is totally seniority driven for promotion, transfers etc etc. But that also means that there isn't much bitchiness, backstabbing or brown nosing amongst the crews cos there ain't no way you can get promoted til your seniority number comes up!

A great thing about BA is the range in the crews ages, backgrounds etc etc. There are loads of young crew in the 800 or so that have been recruited within the past year and plenty of umm more 'mature' crew as well to balance things out.

The compass centre (crew centre) is always full of ads for flatshares and accommodation and as there are always plenty of courses starting and new crew coming from all over europe/UK to be based in London looking for a place to set up as well.

Good luck!

broken hearted!
19th Apr 2005, 14:21
Thanks for your replies!

At the moment i'm working for estee lauder, which is an ok job, but it's nothing compared to flying!

I read that there is a 3 month waiting list for the heathrow base, is this true?

I'm not to fussed about promotion within BA, there was alot of pressure at BMI to get flight supervisor as quickly as you could, and to me, that took some enjoyment out of the job.

I'm glad that there is a good social life within the company, as like many other people, i'll be starting my life over again.

thanks again for your replies, they've been really helpful.