PDA

View Full Version : I'm Speechless With Rage

FJJP
17th Apr 2005, 15:18
Reid and Blair I doubt will have the balls to explain this...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/04/17/nhs17.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/04/17/ixportal.html

pr00ne
17th Apr 2005, 15:54
FJJP,

It would be no different under Michael Howard.

It was the Tory Government who withdrew free and subsidised long term residential care for the elderly condemning a generation to have to sell their parents property so they could afford care costs.

jindabyne
17th Apr 2005, 17:36
On my daily walks to fend off early retirement and bad-habit generated obesity, I pass three old people homes and on each occasion shudder at the prospect of having to become an inmate. It doesn't necessarily follow that the sins of forebears will be revisited by the next generation, and given the words in their manifesto concerning my future wellbeing, I'd be prepared to give the Tories another run. But I fear you're probably right on Defence.

mutleyfour
17th Apr 2005, 17:38
Agreed, the only thing in this country that hasn't gone to the dogs is.....

the dogs

C130 Techie
17th Apr 2005, 17:47
Blair and his cronies must take responsibility for the state of public services in this country. They have had the helm for long enough to have made considerable differences if they had the will. But no all Blair wants is to be a world statesman and he doesn`t care what the cost to this country is.

It is time that we started to look after our own and put our own house in order. We must stop the flood of immigrants who drain our resources and give nothing back. It is also time that we looked at the amount of money we throw into the old empire in so called aid.

Never mind campaigning with promises of tax cuts, campaign for quality services paid for by our tax and national insurance contributions. Put our money where its needed and not into olympic bids and other lost causes. People are suffering and living in fear and poverty now.

Sadly I do not beileve that this nation has the political will to help itself, we are too focused on making a fast buck and self gratification to care about what is happening to those around us.

The story highlighted is yet another sad example of the real state of our nation and I do not believe we have a party capable of putting it right.:sad:

Zoom
17th Apr 2005, 18:02
pr00ne
How far back do you want to go when dishing out blame? At some point you have to recognise that a political party can change, as even Labour has managed to do, and it is highly likely that the Tories won't repeat their earlier errors. And, as it happens, the major hospitals in this area are being managed disastrously but we are certainly too far down the line to blame the Conservatives.

gravity victim
17th Apr 2005, 18:17
FJJP

Thank you for posting that. I found it inexpressively moving. Every politician should be forced to sit and read it.

He can be very proud not only of his service, but of his wonderful daughter.

timex
17th Apr 2005, 18:28
Reid and Blair I doubt will have the balls to explain this...

Just about sums up the bunch of spineless leaders / w*****s we have today, they couldn't give a toss about anyone other than themselves.

And best thing is......we could all end up going the same way as the old chap did!

skua
17th Apr 2005, 19:53
and elsewhere in the Telegraph today is another article that shows how NHS trusts/hospitals are encouraged to change policies so that waiting times and meaningless perfromance indicators chosen by the Government, appear better. Another piece, it may be in the IoS, describes how the police are encouraged to change the description of crimes such as burglaries so that the stats on the most sensitive crimes appear to have "improved".

Blair and his cronies are treating the nation with contempt. the only issue is whether the oppposition would be any better....

yours in gloom,

Skua

Tartan Giant
17th Apr 2005, 20:03
I am ashamed to be British after reading that article in the Telegraph.

Blair and his fellow bastards ought to be whipped for allowing this sort of thing to happen to a war hero.

he died alone with only a night nurse to hold his hand and let his terrified spirit move into the unknown. The system failed him in the end as well - I had been told that he was recovering, so had stayed in America and was not with him at the last.

I admire his daughter's courage writing about such a moving and terrible end to a wonderful man.

When Blair pretends things like the Dome was what the nation needed; and he swears he did not decieve the nation with his tales of WMD and we need ID cards and this EU Constitution, not least the fear of terrorist attacks - there is no hope converting the liar to give any acceptable reason for what happend in this sad and desperate story. It should NEVER have happened, period!

He throws £40 million pounds to the Russians so they can dismantle two nuclear subs - charity begins at home and even that money could have been better used.

The country is as sick as he and his mob are.

TG

Always_broken_in_wilts
18th Apr 2005, 01:23
FJJP and ZOOM,

Just a thought but have you ever seen Admin Guru, Hyd3failure, Totalt@sser and the lefty twit Pr00ne online at the same time:rolleyes: draw your own conclusions chaps:ok:

all spelling misatkes are "df" alcohol induced

glum
18th Apr 2005, 03:29
Looking a little closer to home, where were the RAFBF and RAFA?

Is it not our duty as currently serving members to pay our dues and look after our own?

WorkingHard
18th Apr 2005, 07:39
"Blair and his fellow bastards ought to be whipped for allowing this sort of thing to happen to a war hero."

NOT SO - they should be whipped for allowing this to happen to anyone. They have the means to stop the profligate waste of resources but they are spending OUR money on schemes to keep themselves in power,. Schemes such as HUGE spending on NHS administrators and little on medical/nursing care. If you want to see it just vist your local hospital and LOOK

dessert_flyer
18th Apr 2005, 07:59
After seeing something very similar happen to my Father in law very recently i know that there have been no improvements. Although it only happened over a 3 month period, i found the total lack of respect and empathy given by the NHS astounding. Whats more the incompetence by many, made the last days of an old man very painful, in the treatment recieved and the mental torture he endured of no one believing he was ill.

The nhs is falling apart, it is controlled and managed by only those who want to further there own careers, and line their own pockets. Gone are the days of patient care, there are very few carers left, a fancy qualification is more important than the ability to actually look after someone.

Needless to say the hospital in question has not heard the last of what happened.

And yes im angry but also very frustrated
Rant over

At least we have the RAFBF to help look after us, ?????????

500days2do
18th Apr 2005, 08:07
dessert flyer...

your comments could have been said about the military also...the execs at most flying stations are the same...tell me if im wrong..!!!!

Vote with your feet.....

Pontious
18th Apr 2005, 08:55
Bliars record speaks for itself but Reid's is hardly sparkling for a position such as of Minister for Health.

1) Political adviser to Neil Kinnock, that great Welsh twit who was Labour's biggest 'Also Ran' for many years.

2) Minister for Northern Ireland at the time of the Omagh bomb and heavily criticised in the Ombudsman's report on the attrocity.

3) He isn't a 'Dr' of medicine, he's a 'Dr' of Economic History.

4) Oh and he was Minister for defence from 1997-98.

Vote Conservative- You know it makes sense!

Pr00ne's silence on the matter speaks volumes.

:ok:

Tartan Giant
18th Apr 2005, 09:09
Working Hard
You are correct, I should have used the word "anyone" but as we were discussing this particular honourable man I made it his case - of course it should be expanded to encompass anyone.

Cheers
TG

Edit typo.

lineslime
18th Apr 2005, 09:12
At a certain Swindon hospital a new treatment centre has opened with new wards, staffed by those off wards from the not so old building thus leaving empty wards. The trusts plans for these empty wards, employ more nurses you would hope but alas no. They are going to become offices, such a worthwhile use I think you would all agree..........NOT!!!! Such a sad state of affairs when pen pushers take priority over the sick in a building which is supposed to treat the sick.:* :* :* :* :*

jindabyne
18th Apr 2005, 09:32
glum

You make a very good point. I would like to think that RAFBF/RAFA didn't help because they were not made aware?? Maybe somebody could explain how the two organisations might become involved in these cases - or are the funds targetted at the younger element? No implied criticism, just interest.

timex
18th Apr 2005, 10:30
Looking a little closer to home, where were the RAFBF and RAFA?

Glum quite right, however It shouldn't be down to associations like the RAFA, RMA etc to provide full time care. (Although none of us would begrudge that care).

This is a full on failure of the NHS, and the Govt.

The Swinging Monkey
18th Apr 2005, 12:59
Utterly shameful and a total disgrace to this country.
Pr00ne, you may be right about Howard, however it was Bliar that said he would put paid to this kind of activity, and it was he who shouted louder than anyone about how the NHS was 'safe in our hands'
Yeh right, safe it may be, but it's still as cr4p as it ever was.

Tis a sad state of affairs. RIP dear hero
Kind regards
TSM
'Caruthers, get me a large one fast, my blood is starting to boil!'

An Teallach
18th Apr 2005, 15:26
A very sad story.

A glance at the job pages in the Hootsmon (and, I dare say, the rags in Englandshire as well) shows where a lot of the extra NHS funding goes - Ad after Ad for Equalities Advisers, HR directors, managers, PAs, administrators and assorted other members of the Lifesaving Typewriter Brigade.

Stevemcmli
18th Apr 2005, 15:56
Eight jobs recently advertised with our local NHS trust, Total annual salary bill aound £250K. The jobs? Nursing...No, Physio....No, Theatre.....No. To man (or woman) they were all related to statistical gathering and analysis for performance measurement and benchmarking. 'nuff said eh?

FJJP
18th Apr 2005, 15:57
...like the Smoking Cessation Officer advertised for Cambs Health Authority at about £35K pa?

RAFA, RAFBF and RBL would have most certainly become involved but they have to be told of the case in need - they don't have a crystal ball and there is no mechanism [as far as I know] for a hospital, etc, to inform them. Sometimes a home will involve the Service charities if there is a member of staff that has a Forces background or a relative in the Forces, thus knowing a bit more than the average about these organisations. Their welfare officers would have taken an active part in arranging for life for the old chap to have been a lot more comfortable in his twighlight years.

I just hope and pray that when it's my time, I die suddenly, without warning and am dead before I hit the pavement. Not only will it avoid me having to suffer similar indignities, but it will spare my family the torment and anguish of having a frail and sick old man to help - they have their own lives to get on with and I have no wish to have them worry about me...

BikerMark
18th Apr 2005, 16:04
What grieves me about all this is the lack of respect that exists for our older generations. As a nation, we see them as a "problem". Everything about getting old is seen as an issue.

:(

Mark.

glum
18th Apr 2005, 17:22
Which lets face it is crazy. We're all gonna be old sooner or later.

I wonder why our nation is so blind to age. The Italians adore their grandparents, and the Americans have loads of deals and schemes for those in their 'Golden years'.

Where did it all break down in the UK? Shouldn't we be looking after our own parents at home as they looked after us as children? Why should they 'go in a home' to rot?

Is making money that important?

surely not
18th Apr 2005, 18:57
Hmmm, so how come you are all so happy to believe the story in the Torygraph? Normally you have nothing but vitriol for members of the 4th estate. Could it be because the story backs up political views that you already held i.e. Tory = good, Labour = bad.

I remember the Tories changing the way in which the unemployment figures were counted as they furiously tried to stop the 3 million mark being reached when they had proudly boasted that they would get Britain Working.

Howard is a gutless, back sliding, unprincipled scammer. He didn't have the honesty to answer Paxman many years back when he was caught twisting the truth; he is telling people that he can by some miracle improve public services whilst cutting taxes; and if it looks as if he has chosen an unpopular policy he backs down very quickly because all he wants is power.

I do not support Labour, and have never voted for them, but some of you guys on here remind me of the old Colonel Blimp caracature with your blind allegiance to the Tories under Howard.

If he is going to improve Public Services AND cut taxes, then I guess the military had better get ready for some severe project cuts............................... or he might be lying and taxes will stay the same or rise. Before anyone blathers on about cutting swathes of jobs from the Public Service sector, maybe youneed to be reminded that under Thatcher, Quango's grew faster than any PM before or since. The cuts in Public sector jobs went to more expensive contractors and consultants, something which continues to this day.

Lee Jung
18th Apr 2005, 19:53
The last 8 years have proved that throwing billions at the public services does not cure a problem.

Council spending has spun out of control, alot to do witht he social burden and the ridiculous increases in the policing budget. How many more cops do you see? (standfast traffic units) I remember the promises of tens of thousands more police on the street - what utter crap.

The health service and education have absorbed the majority for a small decrease in waiting times. An example of education initiative - the result of the multi-million pound anti-truancy campaign has been reckoned by the ONS to have cost about £500,000 per truant who has returned to school.

Go on, vote for the New Labour project again fools, pay through the nose for more eye-catching, media friendly policies which acheive nothing but cost the earth. Anyway, by the end of the next parliament so much power will be divested in Brussels that Blair/Brown will accept no responsibility for the huge budget/pension/economic crisis at all.

pr00ne
18th Apr 2005, 21:38
Pontius,

My reply was the first on here, now that’s hardly “silence” is it?

Whoever was in power would have made no difference to this tragic tale, in an organisation as large as the NHS you will always have tales of woe and tales of joy. Is it better than it was after 18 years of Tory rundown, lack of investment and undermining of its very raison detre? Yes I think it is. Is it good enough? No I don’t think it is.
One hopefully positive outcome of the high profile NHS funding is receiving in this campaign is that who ever is returned to power will now feel obliged to continue high level funding whatever their previous plans had been. (Fingers crossed).

Swinging Monkey,

True, true, and he has had long enough to have an effect, but who CAN put right an organisation larger than the Swiss army?

glum,

Where did it all breakdown? I know this is a party political point and for that I apologise, but it WAS a Conservative Government who removed the right to free or subsidised health care for the elderly and replaced it with a deliberate policy of forcing people to use the inherited wealth in property to fund long term care in old age, until THAT is changed then we will all be in this situation. Before you point out that Blair has had 8 years to put this right, I agree ,a fair point and one that needs addressing.

Lee jung,

I will, thanks.

You make some good points but then ruin it by calling anyone who votes the other way a fool and ruining it even further with a wildly inaccurate cheap shot at Europe.

The Swinging Monkey
19th Apr 2005, 06:57
Right,
Enuf is enuf.................................

If I put myself up for PM, who will vote for me? I promise:
1. to look after the old - especially war heros like this chap
2. Limit scribblies/blunties to a max of 5% of total of any workforce
3. Pull out of EU and go it alone (havn't we been doing that since we joined tho'?)
4. Free Grouse for everyone
5. Every Friday pm = happy hour
6. Turn the prisons into prisons, not some 'namsy pamsy' 'institution for offenders' - lock em up, and give em $hit
7. Free flying for GA

Anyone got anymore??
Theres probably loads more, but this story has made me so mad, I just can't think at the moment.

Back to bed now, and more medication
Kind regards to all
TSM
'Caruthers, fetch me a large one'

Circuit Basher
19th Apr 2005, 08:36
TSM for Pope!! :D:D
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/tiere/animal-smiley-080.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/tiere/animal-smiley-066.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/tiere/animal-smiley-090.gif

Scud-U-Like
19th Apr 2005, 21:36
The NHS employs 1.3million people, the worlds third largest employer, after the Chinese Red Army and the Indian Railway. (Perhaps that's just an urban myth, but I can't be @rsed to look up the stats) In any case, I'm amazed that such a large organisation manages to function with so few f**k-ups.

lineslime
20th Apr 2005, 12:16
That's because not all f**k-ups are made known to the public but are kept in house. How do I know this? Mrs Slime quite often tells me of the goings on in the NHS, and believe me it isn't pretty.

Regie Mental
20th Apr 2005, 13:21
I agree, take Holby City last night - shocking!

lineslime
20th Apr 2005, 14:09
Didn't watch it and never have, prefer to know fact rather than fiction. Still whatever appeals to the masses.......

Scud-U-Like
21st Apr 2005, 09:29
......a sense of humour, usually.

When it comes to keeping routine f**k-ups in house, I don't think we in the armed forces fare any better than the NHS.

Zoom
21st Apr 2005, 10:03
surely not
The papers and the politicians will say and spin things as they wish. But I saw Blair being interviewed on Monday night and he was discussing Howard's plan whereby the NHS would pay half the (NHS) cost of an NHS operation to a private hospital if the patient wanted to take his business there. (Good plan if you have the extra cash, I reckon.) But Blair constantly referred to the Conservative plan whereby the NHS would pay half the (private) cost of a private operation, which would be an entirely different and probably larger sum. Now, was this spin, lying or scaremongering? It was a bit of the last but more of something else: Blair just did not understand the very simple maths of the proposal. Now that alarms me.

surely not
21st Apr 2005, 10:10
Awwwww Zoom come on now!!!! Are you saying that Howard et al don't deliberately misconstrue policies by the opponents?

Zoom
21st Apr 2005, 14:51
No, I didn't say that at all; just re-read my first sentence. But Blair wasn't just misconstruing, or even bending, shaping or spinning - he got it absolutely wrong on 3 or 4 occasions. The only misfortune was that the interviewer didn't pick him up firmly enough. As they say, you had to be there.