PDA

View Full Version : SP2 doesn't like Norton Security (or v.v)

TimS
17th Apr 2005, 12:24
Have been meaning to ask for advice on this one for months.

Lap-top upgraded with Windows Service Pack 2, which turned off Norton Security 2004 (firewall etc) - no problem I assumed, just turn off the Windows security Centre and re-enable Norton.

Yes but ..... every time I power down the bl**dy thing disables Norton Security (but doesn't re-instate Security Centre) which means I have to remember to open Norton Security and reinstate (a pain in the arse and easy to forget after a night in beer factory).

Any suggestions ??

TimS

Jerricho
17th Apr 2005, 21:05
Any suggestions ??

Buy an Apple ;) :E

TimS
17th Apr 2005, 21:19
Thanks J - is MIL there, she's a nice lady and knopws much more than you ?

Irish Steve
17th Apr 2005, 21:21
if you're on broadband and can live with the downloads, suggest a uninstall and reinstall of Norton, that should sort out the interlinks between the 2 correctly.

It's a pain, as theres' a lot of downloads if you do it, but it should work.

speech
20th Apr 2005, 19:40
I've just upgraded my desktop with SP2 after doing a clean install (formatted the hard drive first). It scr***d up Norton AV, so I tried to reinstall the whole SystemWorks Pro 2004. Tried several times, didn't work, so I went back to pre-SP2 version (thanks to N Ghost) and I'm back in business.
I waited a long time before reluctantly dowloading SP2, it seems that I was right to suspicious.

My names Turkish
21st Apr 2005, 12:00
Best thing I ever did was get rid of NAV. I don't know how to explain it in technical terms as I am not a techie, but it slowed the computer, seemed to take forever to do a scan, was just slow and cumbersome always was in conflict with other bits of software and was feckin expensive to add insult to injury.

The best advice I ever got was from E-Liams personal website. (he's one of the the fairly knowledgeable advisors on this board) Since following the instructions on there, I have never had a problem with a Virus, Worm, Adware, Malware etc etc. In fact when I use spybot these days it usually never even finds anything. I find AVG and Spyguard especially funky. Spyguard seems to block things before they even get a chance to get on your computer.

Set yourself free, get rid of NAV.

Heres the link:Link (http://liamsworld.********.com/2004_11_01_liamsworld_archive.html)

Its the Second Post down.