PDA

View Full Version : Help requested with 57 Squadron Aircrew Research

Astrodome
16th Apr 2005, 20:46
I recently bought a squadron 'shield' made privately by a bomb aimer with 57 squadron during 1944.

Both he and his crew were lost on the night of 22nd-23rd May 1944 over Ottersburg during an operation to Braunschweig whilst flying DX-B (Lancaster III ND878).

I am seeking help with tracing relatives/surviving friends in order to do some research.

Any advice/assistance would be very much appreciated

jeppsbore
17th Apr 2005, 09:34
I will ask my father and have a look through his log books in the next few days. I know he was on 57 squadron as a WO on lancs at some point.
As Mike Jenvey said a name would be useful.
Also you may consider a visit to East Kirkby, the guys there have loads of archive material that is well worth a browse through.

Astrodome
17th Apr 2005, 16:00
Thanks guys.

I do have the names, I was a little unsure as to whether I should post them or not, however, here goes.

I set out their Service No. as well as the position I suspect that they held where this is not known at this stage.

The complete crew members are as follows :-

WINNEKE, Leslie Harold 417032(Australian) Pilot Officer RAAF - Pilot (?)

GRAVES, Edward George 186550 Pilot Officer RAFVR - Flight Engineer

MAHONEY, John Joseph 273734 Australian) Flight Lieutenant RAAF - Navigator (?)

WRIGHT, Raymond Hedley 1579870 Sergeant - RAFVR - Bomb Aimer

FROST, Reginald Roy 1580431 Signaller RAFVR - Wireless Operator

IFE, Alan 1375322 Flight Sergeant RAFVR - Gunner (?)

MOORE, James Alexander 1117487 Sergeant RAFVR - Gunner (?)

I also thought it was interesting that the UK crew members were originally from RAFVR at that stage in the war.

The above information has been found via the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Many thanks for your help.

pr00ne
17th Apr 2005, 16:18
Astrodome,

All aircrew who joined the RAF after the outbreak of the war were in the RAFVR. They were on "hostilities only" engagements.