PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Recruitment

EngineOut
16th Apr 2005, 17:09
G'day All,

Just wondering if any of you who may have been through the Jetstar recruitment process could give details of it. I understand you do Psych and skills as per QF mainline, but details for the rest of the process would be greatly appreciated. I have done a search and there does not seem to be anything much on here already.

Details for:

Interview(s)

Group exercise

Sim

and anything else would greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

EO

Gigi' The Mutant
17th Apr 2005, 00:54
You only have to answer two questions:

1. 'Can you pay for your own endorsement'

2. 'Are you prepared to undercut everyone elses conditions to get a job with JQ ?'

If you can answer yes to both you are in !

Don't worry about psych testing ect - not required nor conducted

Gigi

Capn Bloggs
17th Apr 2005, 01:31
EO,

Stick with it and ignore the self-centred vitriol from people like GiGi, who I would hazard a guess have not done one iota of rabble-rousing or striking to protect their conditions, being more content to sledge newbees who just want to fly bigger aeroplanes than they are now.

The commercial reality is that if some !@#$ company wants to pay so and so, or charge for endorsements, then that's the way of the world, and new hires aren't going to change that. In fact, one could argue that it is people like GiGi who mess it up for everybody else, because they don't have the balls to take it to their management and refuse to accept new-hires being paid less.

The situation will only change when airframes start hitting the ground because of the monkeys flying them, who would have been recruited by flight departments who cannot offer decent money to attract decent pilots because the beancounters said NO.

Hugh Jarse
17th Apr 2005, 09:50
Jeez, Gigi - you must be close to the action...

Don't worry about psych testing ect - not required nor conducted

WRONG. You will be required to successfully complete the following:

1. QF S&P;

2. Panel Interview;

3. Sim ride in B767.

Recruiting has slowed significantly since the Sydney recruiting office closed a few weeks ago. All future recruiting will be carried out from the Melbourne office.

Trust me:E

Good luck Engine Out.:ok:

EngineOut
17th Apr 2005, 10:52
Thanks Gigi, really helpful, just what I was after. F :mad: ing moron.

For anyone else...I was after specifics

Was interested in type of questions asked in interview, and any examples from those who may have done it.

I understand there was a group exercise? Does this still happen? If so, details would be of the exercise would be good.

jakethemuss
17th Apr 2005, 12:15
E\O

See the following

http://www.qantas.com.au/infodetail/about/employment/QTests.pdf

From the Jetstar website:

The role of a pilot can be very demanding with every day bringing new challenges. You will need a mature attitude, cool head and enjoy working in a team.

Our minimum requirements include:

Current Class 1 Medical Certificate
Commercial Pilots Licence (CPL) and a pass in ATPL subjects
1500 hours total time
1000 hours Pilot in Command
500 hours multi-engine command
Current instrument rating with NDB, VOR, ILS ratings
A good command of the English Language
Excellent health and fitness
Committed to service excellence

From the Qantas website:

What does each stage of the Direct Entry Pilot selection process involve?
Stage 1:
The candidate's application is checked to ensure documentation is correct and the Direct Entry Pilot Minimum Criteria are met. Progression to Stage 2 is determined by the competitiveness of an application following completion of Stage 1.

Stage 2:
One day of assessment involving a Skills and a Psychometric Assessment. Both assessments are computer based and are conducted in a small, dedicated testing room.

A non-refundable fee of A$195 is charged by Qantas for Stage 2 assessment.

Progression to Stage 3 is determined by the competitiveness of an application following completion of Stage 2.

Stage 3:
Two or three days of assessment comprising a Simulator Flight Assessment, a Panel Interview and an Occupational Health Assesment (OHA). A non-refundable fee of A$180 is charged by Qantas for the OHA.

Progression to Stage 4 is determined by the competitiveness of an application following completion of Stage 3.

Stage 4:
The candidate will submit a dental x-ray and documentation to enable the Criminal History, Politically Motivated Violence and Citizenship Check to take place. Reference checks will be conducted by Qantas and the application will be subject to a full review by senior management personnel. Candidates who are assessed as strongly competitive during the final review may receive a written offer of employment for a nominated start date.

Note: The fees for the Psychometric Assessment, Occupational Health Assessment, Criminal History, Politically Motivated Violence and Citizenship Check check represent external fees imposed upon Qantas for each candidate who undertakes these assessments. Recovering this fee from the candidate allows Qantas to offer a greater number of applicants the opportunity to attempt the assessments.

What does the Psychometric Assessment involve?
The Psychometric Assessment is comprised of a mouse lesson and 6 sections. Sections 1 to 4 are time-limited assessments designed to assess verbal, numerical, diagrammatic and spatial reasoning abilities. Sample questions are included at the beginning of each section and these should be studied carefully. When completing the time limited sections, you are advised to work as quickly and accurately as possible. If you are not sure of an answer, make your best choice but avoid wild guessing.

Sections 5 and 6 have no time limits and are designed to assess personal competencies. There are no right or wrong answers to questions in sections 5 and 6 and candidates are encouraged to answer as honestly as possible. In sections 5 and 6, once a question is answered and the next question selected it is not possible to return and change the previous answer.

The entire Psychometric Assessment will take three to five hours to complete.

What does the Simulator Flight Assessment involve?
The primary aim of the Simulator Flight Assessment is to evaluate instrument flying skills, spatial orientation and manipulative abilities.

The Assessment will be conducted in a B767-300 simulator in light-weight configuration. The flight will take place within the Melbourne terminal area. There is no radio work required and no assymetric flying.

What does the Panel Interview involve?
The Panel interview will be of approximately 1 hour duration. Interviewers have complete discretion to vary the length of the interview and the time taken should not be interpreted as an indication of the candidate's performance. Questions asked by the interviewers may include:

Questions relating to the candidates' employment and training history.
Behavioural questions that will require candidates to describe actions and decisions taken during specific events from their own experience. There are no right or wrong answers to these questions and candidates are encouraged to answer as honestly as possible.
Knowledge based questions that may cover a range of topics including Qantas knowledge, aviation and industry related knowledge.
What does the Occupational Health Assessment involve?
The Occupational Health Assessment includes the components of a CASA Class 1 Medical Examination plus other additional items. A specific briefing sheet for the OHA is provided to candidates at the time of booking.

What does the Criminal History, Politically Motivated Violence and Citizenship Check involve?
Pilots are required to hold Aviation Security ID cards. The Criminal History, Politically Motivated Violence and Citizenship Check is conducted by the Australian Federal Police (AFP), the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) and the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs (DIMIA). To undergo the check the candidate must fill out a consent form and pay A$49. Specific instructions for this check will be issued to candidates at the appropriate stage of the selection process.

Where do I have to go for the assessments?
All assessments are conducted at the Qantas Jet Base or Qantas Centre at Mascot, Sydney. Specific locations will be indicated on the booking confirmation letter.

What should I bring on the day of assessment?
The documentation that must be brought to each stage of testing is specified in the relevant booking confirmation letter.

Stage 2 testing takes approximately 4 to 6 hours to complete and breaks can be taken at several points during the day. Candidates may wish to bring lunch and some snacks to eat during these breaks. Drinking water and self-service tea and coffee is provided free of charge. A variety of foods can be purchased at the staff canteen and snack shop, open 0700 to 1530.

What preparation should I do for the assessments?
The amount and nature of preparation done for selection assessments is at the discretion of individual candidates, however the following information may be of assistance:

Skills Assessment
Performance in the Skills Assessment may be assisted by good hand-eye coordination skills and by familiarity with the six basic aircraft flight instruments (artificial horizon, airspeed indicator, compass, altimeter, vertical speed, and turn and bank indicator).

Psychometric Assessment
The Psychometric Assessment Practice Leaflet contains practice questions, which may assist candidates with preparation for the Psychometric Assessment.

Simulator Flight Assessment and Panel Interview
It is envisaged that candidates will do some degree of preparation for both the Simulator Flight Assessment and the Panel Interview. The amount of preparation done is at the individual's discretion and will depend on their current level of knowledge and experience.

What if I need to change my booking date or time?
Please check your work and personal commitments carefully before finalising an assessment date with recruitment staff. If you have a valid and unexpected need to change a booking date please contact Qantas recruitment staff as soon as possible.

What if I am ill on the day?
If a temporary medical condition or personal circumstance arises which may affect your performance on the day, please notify recruitment staff as soon as possible. In all cases it is essential that you discuss your situation with recruitment staff before the assessment begins.

Is Qantas able to assist with my travel expenses?
There is no obligation to fly with Qantas, but we may be able to assist with air travel. Information will be included with confirmation of your appointment.

Is Qantas able to assist with my accommodation expenses?
Qantas is unable to assist with accommodation expenses associated with pilot selection assessment.

What happens after the assessment?
Assessment results cannot be discussed with the candidate on the day of assessment. Each candidate will be contacted by letter, fax, phone or e-mail as appropriate within 3 weeks of assessment. Any of the following courses of action may be taken by Qantas depending upon the competitiveness of the candidate's application:

The candidate may be contacted to arrange a date for the next stage of assessment.
The candidate may be advised that their application is still under consideration and that progression to the next stage of assessment is not guaranteed but may occur after a specified date.
The candidate may be advised that their assessment results have been uncompetitive on this occasion, however they are invited to update every six months and to apply for a review of their file after a specified date. File updates and the request for reassessment can be achieved by submitting an Application Update Form. Repeat attempts at assessments are not guaranteed - the candidate's application will be reviewed against others held at the time of review to determine competitiveness for assessment.
The candidate may be advised that they have been unsuccessful and that Qantas will not be proceeding any further with the application.
What if 3 weeks have passed since assessment and I have not been contacted?
Please check phone messages, fax machines and e-mails. If you are certain that contact has not been made then please ring the recruitment office on +61 (2) 9691 1590. Please do not ring recruitment staff until the full 3 weeks have passed.

Can I receive detailed feedback on my assessment performance?
Corporate policy does not allow Qantas to discuss details of performance in specific assessments or in specific areas of an assessment. Qantas is also unable to release copies of assessment reports or results. We therefore request that candidates do not phone the recruitment office seeking specific feedback on assessment performance.

What happens when I have completed all stages of assessment?
If you have completed all stages of assessment and your file is still under consideration, you will be placed on the Hold File. Securing a position on the Hold File should not in any way be interpreted as a guarantee of employment. When a course vacancy becomes available it will be offered to the Hold File candidate who best meets the required competencies. Time spent on the Hold File will vary according to the competitiveness of a candidate's application. If a candidate has been waiting more than 6 months on the Hold File without being offered a course place, their file will be reviewed to determine the most appropriate course of action for Qantas to take.

If my application to Qantas is unsuccessful can I apply to a Qantas subsidiary airline?
An unsuccessful application to Qantas does not necessarily prevent a candidate from making a successful application to a Qantas subsidiary airline.

Jarse, are you sure they still do the S&P testing for Jetstar? I thought they couldn't get anyone through the hoops so they decided to stop applying the strict qantas testing.

Anyway TJ is there now and the way he is bagging the bejesus out of the CP of Qantas I am sure he is bound for greater glory. Watch him hide behind the QF machine when the Pilots get pissed off about the measily 3% when they were promised to be up to VB wages by Joyce and Gissing last year if they played the game.

Bugger! 100hrs a month, wife wants a divorce, kids don't remember me and jeez I love this job.

I will now have to do 100hrs a month to afford to feed myself, what with child support, half my super hers, school fees etc. etc..

Capn Bloggs
17th Apr 2005, 12:32
turn and bank indicator
What the hell's that?!:confused:

EngineOut
17th Apr 2005, 21:50
Jake,

I have seen all the stuff from the websites. I was after experiences from people who have actually been through it. I understand the QF S&P stuff, it was the interview and group exercise I was interseted in, and the sim, if it different from mainline.

Thanks Anyway.

Hugh Jarse
17th Apr 2005, 23:06
Engine Out,

If you apply to any QF subsidiary you will have to complete the S&P. This is the second "cull point" in the process. The first is the initial application. Regardless of which airline you're applying to, there is a high failure rate in the S&P.....(no comment)

Sim ride is next. Currently Sunstate applicants are the only ones that do not do this, however watch for a change in the near future.

I'm pretty sceptical of so called "preparation courses", however I've had feedback from a good (recruiting) source which reflects positively on the S&P course that's going around at the moment. No I am not connected in any way with this mob. Just passing on the info.

RAD_ALT_ALIVE
18th Apr 2005, 04:29
EO,

Group interview was a role-playing exercise involving about 6 applicants. Each applicant was assigned a management role in a ficticious company, given a couple of sheets of A4 notes to brief themselves from, and then had to work as a team to achieve a goal (as stated by the facilitators at the outset). Lasts about one hour.

Panel interview was behavioural in nature. All about life's experiences and lessons learned. Also about problem solving ability and rationale for solutions achieved - that sort of thing. Very few technical questions - ditto for AIP/CAO/CAR questions. Having said that, I don't think you should read that as not having to prepare fully.

Sim - as per mainline. No tricks. Just handling exercises.

Good luck!:ok:

The Librarian
18th Apr 2005, 07:01
Engine out,

I only did the interview and group test as I was already in the QF system, I found both a bit pointless but they are the hoops we need to jump through.

In The group test you can only be yourself and try to manage the scenario as best as possible. Very difficult to prepare for but the paper work that is given to you at the start sholud be read as quickly and accurately as possible. YOu will be briefed that no one should be nominated as the leader of the group although this seemed to occur naturally with two people in my group assuming leadership roles and guiding the course of the session.
Quite a lot of interaction and bargaining is required to achieve the required outcome so maybe a think about your negotiating skills would be of help.

You are being watched at all times by 3 HR people. (God I hate HR people) and every move you make seems to be followed by a scrawl of their poison pens.

The interview could only be described as a hippy moment. Lots of huggy feely stuff about the last time you talked to trees etc. One of the questions I recieved was "When was the last time you seeked information from the quiet member of your group?" or something along those lines. Just Crap really and seemingly unrelated to aviation but its run by HR people so really what would you expect.

Two people on the interview panel one a check captain who seemed to be a bit lost at times although this was early in their recruitment process so I think they probably were all out of their depth. The other bloke was a HR type. (enough said)

As I said this was all early in the recruitment process and things have no doubt changed since then.

In the end I was offered a job but decided to stay with the rat purely for financial reasons.

Best of luck if you are offered a interview. Jetstar will be the future of Aviation in Aus for a long time to come and the Airbus really is a delight to fly.

Gigi' The Mutant
18th Apr 2005, 08:45
If Jetstar is the future then god help us all

G'day librarian or should I say 'Mike' instead

amos2
18th Apr 2005, 08:55
Strewth!!...what a load of absolute, unmitigated, stupid nonsense!!

No wonder we have pilots today (captains as well as first officers) in Qantas,Virgin and Jetstar who are complete klutzes, and unsafe to boot!!

Whatever happened to motivation and a desire to fly aeroplanes as the main criteria to pilot employment?

I guess you modern day unqualified turkeys will soon let me know!

I go by car these days, it's safer!! :rolleyes:

Transition Layer
18th Apr 2005, 10:14
Hugh Jarse

I'm pretty sceptical of so called "preparation courses", however I've had feedback from a good (recruiting) source which reflects positively on the S&P course that's going around at the moment

EngineOut, I would imagine that the course HJ is referring to can be found at http://www.******************

Have heard that 80% of people doing the prep course are getting through the QF Group P&S.

Cheers,
TL

Life as a journey
18th Apr 2005, 12:20
Jesus H Christ.

jokeStar
18th Apr 2005, 12:28
Engine Out,

R_A_A is spot on, however :

Recruitment has stopped. Word is it will start again at the end of this year. Word is that it won't be many required. Word is the group exercise will (if it hasn't already) been dropped. Interview is no tech, all behavioral. Good luck.

ur2
19th Apr 2005, 01:20
Jetstar has hired about 70 pilots in the last 4 months, A monumental effort. They will be consolidating over the next few months but will be getting another 12 a320's over the next 8 months and another 3 between Dec and May next yr.

And I can assure you that is just the start, they are preported to have firm ordered 11 a321's from the extra 40 options, so rest assure that growth will continue to be vertical into the foreseeable future.

It would be a great time to join an airline that is in the early stages of massive growth,

Good luck.

Dexter
19th Apr 2005, 01:32
except its infersted full of #*bs

mppgf
19th Apr 2005, 14:23
What are you infering Dexter ?

jokeStar
19th Apr 2005, 21:15
mppgf,

I think what the moron is trying to say (and side track the thread) by bringing up the 'war' from 16 years ago. It's funny you know, these dumb @rses keep forgetting that they were the ones that screwed up, and screwed the industry for all of us by being greedy. On ya fella's!
:ok:

Eimar Moron
19th Apr 2005, 21:58
JetStar - Dixon's anti-AIPA weapon.
"scabs" - tools of anti-union, anti-pilot management.
On ya fella's!!
:ok: :mad:

mppgf
20th Apr 2005, 00:12
I thought AIPA was Dixon's anti AIPA weapon.
I would still like to know what infersted means.:}

Dexter
20th Apr 2005, 05:18
i think mppgfw nows.
I would still like to know what infering means. :}
how cum jestar dont send sum pilots to asia were they need them?

20th Apr 2005, 06:18
Christ, if this the response to a question on recruiting, I wonder what would happen if I asked about Fluidic Coupling?

Gigi' The Mutant
20th Apr 2005, 06:57
Because the last lot of JQ boys that applied for KA were unable to pass either the tech interview nor the sim check.

Howard Hughes
20th Apr 2005, 07:17
I wonder what would happen if I asked about Fluidic Coupling?

Lots of blank stares I would guess!! :8 ;)

Cheers, HH.

PS: After a quick google, now I see!! :8

carpe_jugulum
20th Apr 2005, 08:51
Just where did the question on recruiting go

No wonder the aviation recruiting process has gone to hell in a handbasket -

Answers like these are the reason HR tossers are interfering in what used to be a simple process.

On the 'infer' issue, remember this:

'I' imply something, from which 'you' infer.

126.7 - try asking about semiconductor microcavities (SMCs) in the nonperturbative regime, specifically the transient nonlinear optical response thereof.
:p

amos2
20th Apr 2005, 12:01
AW! C'mon CJ...

SMCs & NPTBs & TNLOs...

we went past that years ago dude!...

get with it man!!

:bored:

EngineOut
20th Apr 2005, 14:11
Thank you to the few of you that have genuinely answered my query.

To the rest of you that have hijacked this and many other potentially useful/intersesting threads on PPruNe with your issues and other rubbish, please do it somewhere else.

20th Apr 2005, 20:34
Well said Engine Out.

Eimar Moron
20th Apr 2005, 22:37
"Recruitment has stopped."
"will be getting another 12 a320's over the next 8 months and another 3 between Dec and May next yr."

Something doesn't ring right here - they're either expanding, or they're not.
If they ARE expanding with the number of aircraft ur2 claims, then they SHOULD still be recruiting.

I think that what Dyslexic Dexter is trying to say, is why doesn't J* send some of their pilots to Singapore where J" Asia seem to be having problems getting them?

Was it the J* Asia, or J* Australia boys who failed the Korean Airlines interviews and sims?

jokeStar
21st Apr 2005, 00:00
Hey Eimar, ever heard they saying "think before you speak??" :ooh:

Do people seem to forget theres like 14 717's in the fleet, and the crew on them have to transition onto the 'bus? Or do you think when they go to NJS the Jetstar light twin drivers are unemployed?

Recruitment has stopped. Don't ask, just accept. There's plenty of drivers in the company to crew the 23 Airbuses when they all turn up. Relax fella's. I'm sure it will be announced when recruitment starts up again.

Capn Bloggs
21st Apr 2005, 00:42
Hmmm... 8 aircraft out, 12 aircraft in. Sounds to me like they will need some pilots...unless, Jokestar, you know something I don't...;)

jokeStar
21st Apr 2005, 00:57
14 X 717 (8 to NJS, other 6 disposal TBA)
23 X 320

I coun't a difference of 9. Jetstar has ALREADY recruited substantially late last year for DE A320 skippers on 2 year contracts. Plus a handfull of QF drivers that came across, some s/o's that were ex AN drivers, so the gap to crew 9 ADDITIONAL frames has been filled.

IF, QF decide to make JQ hang onto a couple of 717's for thin routes, then yes more drivers will be required. Bearing in mind, it wouldn't be many. Rumour of A321's as part of exercising the options with Airbus 'could' be on the cards. But as it stands, recruitment has stopped. Hope that clears things up.

flyingins
21st Apr 2005, 01:32
Eimar......

KA is Dragonair.

Digi........

Far from JQ drivers not being able to pass the tech or interview or simulator process at Dragon, the only two who recently interviewed with that airline are currently enjoying life up in Hong Kong. In fact both should be checked to line within a week or two.

But ignorance is bliss, right?

ur2
21st Apr 2005, 01:52
For E Moron

Jetstar Asia is too fat with pilots at present, in fact they have farmed out crews to India to keep them employed until things pick up in Singapore. They have also asked Jetstar Aus to take the next 2 A320's from their order as they don't have work for them.

By the way hiring has recomenced at Jetstar Aus but just a handfull at the moment as the training pipline is full up, that is the only reason it is slowing for now.

Chief Chook
21st Apr 2005, 22:01
Management has decided that replacement aircraft are cheaper than paying for professional cleaners.
What next? Gas masks and disposable gloves being issued to J* customers prior to boarding?
The Filth continues.