PDA

View Full Version : DSA & other railway stations

jabird
16th Apr 2005, 14:47
I note that the DSA 106 included a commitment for a railway station.

Is this another case of the SRA not delivering the goods, as we've had here over the Arena Coventry project, or is this something for Peel to be working on?

I note that there is an interchange on the way near Hunts Cross to provide a Parkway to help serve LPL, but Peel's other big project at the Trafford Centre, Manchester, is still lacking a decent metro link, which I understand has been planned.

Sheffield's Meadowhall may now have its interchange, but how many years did this take?

If there is a railway going past, within 1500m (a brisk walk or simple shuttle bus), how difficult is it to ensure that these major infrastructure projects have at the very least a simple halt station ready for when they open.

Otherwise, once people get used to getting there by car, it becomes much harder to switch those people to other alternatives.

And yes, before anyone asks, I fully agree that CVT needs to get its bus properly sorted too, I understand that passenger loads are quite good, so it can't be that difficult to extend it to serve every flight.

[Started on new thread as this issue is not just about DSA]

airhumberside
16th Apr 2005, 15:26
Some points about air-rail links

Quick rant about HUY rail links. Near to the airport is 'Barnetby for Humberside Airport' Station but there is no bus link. North Lincs Council - please divert your villager bus which goes past the airport and the station to link these two places

There is probably no point DSA having a station at the moment as most trains on theline that pass it are being replaced by buses (operator is Central;) ). There is a bus link to Doncaster Station though

Another airport with laughable rail links is MME. It has a station, with only one train each way on a Saturday. There is a buslink to Darlington station but why not increase the service levels on the rail line and MME fund a minibus from the terminal to a station?

Of course there are rail-air success schemes like MAN, LGW, LHR, STN, BHX, PIK. I wouldnt complain too much at CVT. At least you have a bus to the railway station

dada
16th Apr 2005, 15:45
and blackpool has a railway station about 500yds from the airport and yet is remains called squires gate. why not rename in blakcpool airport ?

crewmeal
16th Apr 2005, 16:03
And of course nobody takes into consideration that the rail network is in utter chaos at weekends because of engineering work every weekend since nationalisation!!

Try and get to STN, MAN, BHX on a weekend using the west coast mainline or even try STN from the Midlands and you have had it!!!

All these millions invested in rail links and the good old coaches still drop you at the railway stations

chiglet
16th Apr 2005, 16:44
There used to ba a Railway Station at RAF Finningly :ok:
watp,iktch

MarkD
16th Apr 2005, 18:45
got metro from NCL to Central some time back - very happy with it! :ok:

jabird
16th Apr 2005, 22:23
"utter chaos at weekends because of engineering work every weekend since nationalisation"

Have I missed something here? We've had plenty of stealth taxes (except APD of course, isn't that the only one they've reduced?) - but I've never heard of stealth renationalisations. Or are you referring to Network Rail, or whatever they are going to be called now?

I suppose we do have a little bit more at CVT than some places, but we also have much more of a hub presence than MME or HUY.

Also, as we've heard the "Birmingham is just down the road and look at their multimodal hub" line so many times, it would be a bit easy to defend our cosy portakabins if we at least had a full time bus service to make up for the lack of trains (rusting ex-BR rolling stock aside!).

Even if the majority of people will always get to regional airports by car, those who can't, or who prefer not to, should always be given a public transport alternative. Failing to do so really gets those politicians' backs up, even if none of them would dream of using public transport to get to the airport, as, of course, none of them ever fly, do they?

jamesbrownontheroad
16th Apr 2005, 23:39
Another airport with laughable rail links is MME. It has a station, with only one train each way on a Saturday. There is a buslink to Darlington station but why not increase the service levels on the rail line and MME fund a minibus from the terminal to a station?

Of course there are rail-air success schemes like MAN, LGW, LHR, STN, BHX, PIK.

Of the three airports in Northern Ireland that handle commercial traffic - BHD, BFS and LDY - all three are immediately adjacent to NIR railway lines. However, only BHD can claim to have a useable station at Sydenham (although only the most dedicated rail passenger will use it - it's certainly not an attractive option at night).

Ideal world developments?

BHD - new City Airport station adjacent to long stay car park, where the rail line cuts under the A2 onto the airport side. Bangor - Belfast trains already run every 20 mins at peak, and Belfast Central is less than five minutes away.

BFS - new International Airport station (connected by shuttle but to terminal) and introduction of circular Belfast - Antrim - Int. Airport - Crumlin - Lisburn - Belfast service.

LDY - mmm... ok, perhaps a little optimistic considering the size, but it's a nice idea, huh? :)

*j*

IB4138
17th Apr 2005, 06:13
Try getting the Metro to Newcastle Airport today!

Extra flights for footy supporters but Metro not running....great management planning.....not!