PDA

View Full Version : Some Judges just rock

Ozzy
16th Apr 2005, 14:07
In some cases, the law is not an ass. (http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2005/04/16/newsstory7024571t0.asp)

Ozzy

16 blades
16th Apr 2005, 15:28
Good skills. I raise my glass to you, M'lud. If only the rest were as sensible, we might have some semblance of a country left.

It's a shame this happened in Jockistan - I don't think the precedent would apply in England.

16B

cyclicmicky
16th Apr 2005, 15:46
Aaaah at last, a Judge with a well balanced mental viewpoint,...I salute his Judgeness..!!
:ok:

BlueDiamond
16th Apr 2005, 15:59
I agree that it was inappropriate for the woman to be entertaining her friend while she was supposed to be babysitting her son but I cannot see that the excuse ...

... McLean (37) did what many men would have done in the circumstances
... justifies the commission of an offence. Lots of people steal, drive while drunk, deal in drugs and so on but we would not accept that as meaning it's okay to do it. Why is assaulting someone any different? Is it all right to attack someone simply because other people might do the same in similar circumstances? What if he had killed the man, would that still be all right? What if he had just broken a leg, or a rib or two and put him in hospital? Is that still okay? The man he assaulted was doing nothing wrong, was committing no offence yet this sheriff has essentially decreed that he could be physically assaulted with impunity.

One person does nothing wrong but is physically assaulted and injured for that. Another person commits an offence and gets clean away with it but that, apparently is quite all right because other people might want to commit a similar offence. I think something's a bit wrong here.

X-QUORK
16th Apr 2005, 17:11
You're quite right BD, being let off completely is sending the wrong signal - I would have given the guy a £10 fine myself.

BlueDiamond
16th Apr 2005, 17:34
Well okay, let's look at it from a guy's point of view. You've made a friend and got to the stage where things might progress a little further. She invites you back to her place and after a while you both head off to one of the bedrooms. Things are moving along nicely when some guy bursts in and proceeds to attack you, punching you in the head and inflicting injuries. When the matter goes to court, the offender is let off because the sheriff feels that his attack was understandable. Where does that leave you? And how do you feel when the sheriff tells you that the person who injured you is not even going to be reprimanded?

Isn't this exactly the sort of luvvie attitude that everyone complains about around here on a regular basis? The war-cry of the "bleeding heart liberal tree-hugging fraternity" as they are popularly termed. That offenders never get any real punishment, any deterrent, any reason to not re-offend? That they are never given any worse than a slap on the wrist and usually not even that? Oh, the poor offender, he had his reasons. Well, that's all right then isn't it?

There seems to be a double standard thing happening here, guys.

X-QUORK
16th Apr 2005, 17:58
BD

To quote the judge:

“You are a respectable man with a respectable and worthwhile job confronted with a situation that arguably would have driven the most placid individual to some form of anger. I am told you were confronted with a certain amount of cheek."

This suggests to me that the guy caught with his pants down was not at all concerned and even had the neck to give the husband some verbal when caught in the act. I might have more sympathy for him if he'd shown remorse.

Ozzy
16th Apr 2005, 18:19
Sorry Bluey I'm not with you on this one.

For a start it was not happening at "her place". She was supposed to be at her place babysitting the children. In fact it was in HIS place in the bed of HIS son that the couple were found. The soldier was returning home expecting to come home to an empty house when in fact he found two intruders! One of which he ejected from HIS place.

Now what?

Ozzy

Miserlou
16th Apr 2005, 19:35
"I am told you were confronted with a certain amount of cheek."

Yeah, two white ones going up and down on top of his ex!

A friend of mine got the same result when he ejected a man out of an upstairs window of his house. Twasn't yet his ex though.

Good rulings.

Onan the Clumsy
17th Apr 2005, 05:01
To quote the judge:

“You are a respectable man..."

just to play abrogado de los diablo you understand, but since when does a "respectible man" have two children out of wedlock and then get divorced?

...unless of course he's a chav :E

Ozzy
17th Apr 2005, 16:06
See you Onan, you play the diablo verry well....:E:hmm:

Ozzy

Onan the Clumsy
17th Apr 2005, 16:42
Technically, I was the abrogado, not the Diablo. Of course, it remains a matter of opinion which is the worse :E

Paterbrat
17th Apr 2005, 18:34
Raise a glass to the judge, common sense, and some good old fashion values which sad to say are fast dissapearing.

flash8
17th Apr 2005, 18:36
What next? Paul Kersey would be proud....

Blacksheep
18th Apr 2005, 03:29
Many years ago, when I was single, I was punched in the head in similar circumstances; I just took it as one of the normal hazards of not going down the pub, so no hard feelings.

He was a decent enough sort though - at least he threw my trousers after me. ;)

Wingswinger
18th Apr 2005, 08:45
He wasn't a judge, chaps. Being in Scotland, he was a Sheriff. Natural justice was done. More of the same needed throughout UK.

lasernigel
18th Apr 2005, 09:40
Talking of judges there used to be an American show about one called "Maximum Bob" starring one of the Bridges boy's ..Beau I think.It was a great show.What ever happened to it?Was it because it was SO not PC it got pulled???
He certainly knew how to deal with criminals!:ok:

eal401
18th Apr 2005, 10:47
I wonder if he had been let off had he punched her in the face?

Onan the Clumsy
18th Apr 2005, 12:54
Laser, it's from a book by Elmore Leonard. Not his best book either, he's well worth a read though.

joe2812
18th Apr 2005, 13:47
As a Law student i've read about alot of stupid decisions...have to salute this one though!

Good ruling.

Widger
18th Apr 2005, 13:50
IMHO it was the woman who should have got the slap and been kicked out on her a***. the two men could then have sat down with a stella or two and watched the footy.

Awaiting the flames!!!!

PaperTiger
18th Apr 2005, 18:51
Sheriff Duff, sentencing McLean, said, "You are a respectable man with a respectable and worthwhile job confronted with a situation that arguably would have driven the most placid individual to some form of anger. I am told you were confronted with a certain amount of cheek.Perhaps respectable and placid mean something different in Scotland. Those are not words I would normally associate with the neanderthal approach to conflict resolution. I would also expect respectable and placid men to be able to distinguish the organ between their legs from the organ between their ears, and understand the respective functions of each.

If you are lucky, you may never have to deal with female infidelity and betrayal, but it any case it is no excuse for violence and certainly no justification for exoneration.

JapJok
19th Apr 2005, 02:43
It may have already been said, but

it looks to me like TWO people received absolute discharges here!

The Dundee soldier and his ex.

Profound stuff...organ between legs, organ between ears etc. Whatever, nothing like a bit of biffo to sort it out