PDA

View Full Version : London Marathon 2005

SilsoeSid
16th Apr 2005, 13:17
Best Wishes to all those ppruners running the Marathon tomorrow.

And as this is Jet Blast, spare a thought for poor old Paula Radcliffe who will be being paid £275,000 for her appearance tomorrow. Should she break her world record, the day’s earnings — including prize-money and bonuses — will rise to £600,000. Add to that sponsorship deals, while the good and kind run for charity, Paula picks up a cool mill!

Interesting that our National Heroin, Dame Kelly refused to start the event due to the fee not being high enough.
"It is understood that Dame Kelly wanted £20,000 to be part of the starting team with three other Olympic champions" (Times (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1571651,00.html) )

I still remember the heartache Torville and Dean had to go through to regain/maintain amateur status all those years back to be able to defend their Olympic title.

Good luck to you all.

Onan the Clumsy
16th Apr 2005, 13:33
Twenty thousand for starting in the Marathon...

...that's peanuts :ugh:

and all you American readers, stop Snickering :}

IB4138
16th Apr 2005, 14:55
Shall we have a "Sweep", as to where Dear Paula drops out of this one?:E

There are 27 tickets available, one for each mile post passed, including the finish and one maked "0" in case she fails in the first mile.:rolleyes:

Kalium Chloride
16th Apr 2005, 15:33
Well - I'm running it tomorrow and I won't be paid a bean!

But it makes a good lead-in to the fact that I'll be doing it for Cancer Research UK.

If you're up for lending your support and feeling particularly benevolent it would be much appreciated if you'd chuck a couple of quid in this direction: Cancer Research Online Donation (https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/donate/genericdonate).

But failing that, I'd be grateful if you'll simply bear me (and my feet) in mind and throw a pound into the next charity pot you come across - regardless of the cause.

Many thanks.

cyclicmicky
16th Apr 2005, 15:36
Paula only drops out if she is being beaten...Heh Heh ,...evil me!!!!:E :E :E :E

Onan the Clumsy
16th Apr 2005, 16:29
This is an interesting Topic.

A pillion Mounds for being in a Marathon?

Is she from Mars?

or somewhere out in the Milky Way?

or even another Galaxy?

Who was the Flake who authourised this?

That's be a big Pay Day for her and she'd be Lionised in the press

IB4138
16th Apr 2005, 16:31
Onan

You is getting yer Mars, Cadbury and Nestle products mixed up, I fear!;)

Loki
16th Apr 2005, 20:29
Whatever, there is obviously a considerable bounty for taking part

Capn Notarious
17th Apr 2005, 08:33
This is a good Topic unnanounced by a Tunnocks Piper.
Now the serious part to be paid to start a race. That £20,000 could buy a years worth of a registered nurse.

OneWorld22
17th Apr 2005, 12:00
Eh, excuse me, did anyone see Paula taking a p**s during the race??!!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david_searle/Paula%20Pissing.jpg

Foul! Imagine the stink of her shorts?? I bet Steve Cram would pay millions for those shorts the nauseating brown noser!!

Jerricho
17th Apr 2005, 15:48
Shall we have a "Sweep", as to where Dear Paula drops out of this one?

Having just read the BBC news site and with OW22's picture, I guess we could take a sweep for what's gonna happen in her next race. She didn't drop one, but certaily slashed.

ShyTorque
17th Apr 2005, 21:49
Must admit, I thought she might drop out, rather than drop one out..... she should've gone before she started! :yuk:

BALIX
17th Apr 2005, 22:30
Having a wee and still winning the race? Now that really is taking the piss. Well, taking it part of the way anyway. At least she didn't have a crap :ugh:

I wonder if it will make the What Happened Next round :confused:

Training Risky
17th Apr 2005, 23:14
Has anyone got video footage of Paula's squits?

Post a link?

(I'm not a fetishist, just curious...)

SilsoeSid
18th Apr 2005, 08:21
I am curious, (but not in the same way Training Risky is), on two things that this incident highlights.

'Urinating in a public place' , will Paula be getting a ticking off by the authorities. Surely there is not a lack of evidence and she even admitted to it on a TV interview.

If she had ended up 'curling one down', would she have been fined for the offence under the
Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996 (http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1996/1996020.htm) .

http://www2002.stoke.gov.uk/dog_warden/top%20level/dog%20fouling.jpg

Or would the responsibility fall to the organisers of the event?

Finally, good job she didn't pull her running shorts to one side, as exposing herself in public would get another 'word in the shell like'!

I'll have to try that next time I'm on the razz in Wakefield and dying for a slash;
"Sorry hoccifer, I was losing 10 seconds between each pub and just needed to go!!" :ok:

BALIX
18th Apr 2005, 08:59
Ah, but is it an offence to publicly piss in London? I'm not so sure. Was in the West End a couple of weeks ago taking in a show (Mary Poppins - very good and piss free!!). After the show we were walking to the tube station passing another theatre outside of which was what appeared to be a very public urinal into which some bloke, bold as brass, was emptying the contents of his bladder.

Is this part of Ken Livingstone's plans to turn London into a part of France?

henry crun
18th Apr 2005, 09:39
It is reported that she apologised to "The Nation" for the brief stop, when onlookers might have thought she could be leaving the race.

Isn't it being just a trifle presumptious to
assume that all of England were watching and concerned about her performance ?

ShyTorque
18th Apr 2005, 09:50
One night only a very few years back I was "duty driver" and therefore sober. I had taken my younger brother out for a jar or two and a chat after he broke up with his missus and was temporarily living back at my parents' house. On the way home at around a quarter to midnight, he said he was desperate for a wee so I stopped my car on the minor rural road. Not another person in sight. While bro was stood next to a tree, hidden by my car, a police 4 x 4 drove slowly past the opposite way and stopped about fifty yards further on. Just then, my brother re-appeared and got back in the car and I then drove on again. About a mile further on, the 4 x 4 appeared behind at speed, blues flashing, so I pulled over and stopped. The police car then pulled ahead and across in front of my car.

A P.C. wandered over and asked me why my car was stopped back there. I told him. He then told me that urinating in a public place was a criminal offence and he began to caution ME! I'm afraid to say, I immediately got out my police pilot's ID, explained I was the chief pilot of his force's Air Support Unit and told him he wasn't being reasonable. I explained what the circumstances were. After a radio call, (he PNC'd my vehicle) he backed down, grudgingly let us go but his parting shot was that next time he might not be so lenient.

Now, did Ms. Radcliffe get similar treatment, I wonder?

SilsoeSid
18th Apr 2005, 13:45
Apparently the sports governing body is looking intio the validity of Paulas win and consequent record, as she was not wearing a number in a competitive event. :ugh:

eal401
18th Apr 2005, 16:19
It would appear that Ms Radcliffe was in fact engaged in a "number 2" :eek:

Now available for bidding, naturally. ;)

PR cable (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1468&item=5574491226&rd=1)

acbus1
18th Apr 2005, 18:20
Now, did Ms. Radcliffe get similar treatment, I wonder?
Very unlikely. "Duty drivers" are forbidden to competitors in such events.

Unwell_Raptor
18th Apr 2005, 23:03
There's a deafening silence from the early posters who were so scathing about Paula from the comfort of their keyboards.

Any chance of a 'sorry I was wrong'?

Go Smoke
18th Apr 2005, 23:16
I think there's FAT (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=151242&highlight=paula+radcliffe) CHANCE (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=142706&highlight=paula+radcliffe) of that Unwell_Raptor
All you'll get is another stream of bile.

Rollingthunder
18th Apr 2005, 23:25
OK, I wasn't one of those, but a million for running a race and winning? That puts paid to her next Olympics doesn't it?

Go Smoke
18th Apr 2005, 23:30
And.......wait for it.........here it comes........better stand back now as it splashes on the floor.
Best fetch a bucket, I suspect there's plenty more where that came from.

SilsoeSid
19th Apr 2005, 12:09
Unwell_Raptor,

The only thing I would apologise for is for not understanding why you want some posters to apologise :confused:

You want people to apologise for;

Highlighting that Paula is getting a million for running/winning a fun run?

That Dame Kelly Holmes refused to start the race because the organisers wouldn't pay her £20,000 ?

Runners themselves highlighting that they will not be getting paid for running the same marathon, without the need to commit an offence along the way.
(How did it go Kalium Chloride ?)

Those are from the 'early posters'.

Would as many runners have supported good causes without the attendance of money grabbers like Paula Radcliffe?
Undoubtably, YES

Those people are the real winners.

Also don't forget, the event still went as planned without the attendance of yet another money grabber, Dame Kelly.
Her true colours, perhaps are finally shown!! (as seen/heard at the BAFTAs)