View Full Version : Flight tracking and the phone in the sky!

3top
16th Apr 2005, 01:20
Hi all!

A friend of mine is thinking of putting a satellite phone + a tracking system in his AS350 B3.
Pretty much the only system he came up with is

BLUE SKY NETWORK D1000
from
http://www.blueskynetwork.com

"The units provide position reporting, two-way messaging, and telemetric sensor data reporting, allowing individuals on the ground to maintain constant contact with an aircraft, and watch its progress in flight + parallel voice capability (phone)".

I know that Steve Fossett just used this system on his single around the world stunt, but strangely we canīt find any other feedback on the Blue Sky Systems.

Anyone of you guys have any experience with this equipment or any other?

In this case the price is secondary, what is important is flawless performance, especially in remote areas.

The idea is to have voice com anytime, anywhere desired
+
flight tracking from a fixed and/or mobile base (ship), beyond line of sight.

Please let me know what you think about it, suggest or what experience you have!

Thanks!
:D

3top
:cool:

Nellis
16th Apr 2005, 08:33
Their is another system using the Iridium handheld and a skytracker system. Apparently the Amrican military [which branch I am not sure] use it in Iraq with success. When the aircraft is on the ground, the handheld can be removed and used as a normal sat phone.

Cheers

Try this website for an alternative - www.infosat.com/services/iridium/skynode_tracker.htm

Cheers

paco
16th Apr 2005, 09:53
try also cartenav in halifax NS - I believe the website is www.cartenav.com

Phil

jeffrey1
16th Apr 2005, 13:26
We installed a bluesky network system in one of our UH-1H's flying in the jungles of Borneo. The system was easy to install, worked great and gave all of our family members at home the ability to track "daddy" everywhere we went. The system was set up to update position report every 2 minutes in regular mode and every 2 seconds in "quick fix" mode. The quick fix button would be depressed anytime you wanted your position updated constantly, ie. emergency situations, etc.... As billing on the system is "per hit", it would get expensive to be live all the time. If you need more info, let me know with a direct email as I work in the field and only get on pprune during off time.

Cyclic Hotline
16th Apr 2005, 21:06
The US Forest Servce is requiring an AFF installation for some aircraft this year, and all aircraft from next year. The Blue Sky system seems to be the system of choice.

It is also in use with a number of offshore operators. Seems to work very well by all accounts.

ChopperSparks
16th Apr 2005, 22:00
Icarus - SkyConnect sells a similar system.

http://www.skyconnect.aero/TRACKER/tracker-info.htm

Our company has installed roughly 6 Icarus Tracker systems (tracker only-no vioce). We have also installed a couple Blue Sky tracking systems. The Icarus Skytracker is a little smaller and lighter and has performed well. I can't speak to the reliability of the Blue Sky system. I believe both companies offer units that are voice only, tracking only, or both.

Sparks

3top
22nd Apr 2005, 19:26
Hi guys,

thanks for the replies!

I believe the BlueSky will be the system my friend will go with!

I think Jeffrey1 's report about Borneo did the trick!:D

Thanks again!

3top
:cool: