PDA

View Full Version : Axe falls at Air J

rumflier
15th Apr 2005, 16:06
It's been quiet for weeks but apparently 20-odd Air Jamaica pilots are without work as from today. I fear this is just the start.

Panama Jack
16th Apr 2005, 21:55
OK, but what are the reasons for the 20-odd pilots out of work? Layoffs??? Management and JALPA duking it out??? :confused:

yardman
22nd Apr 2005, 07:10
A long legacy of managerial incompetence and likely corruption I fear. Sad to see this happen to the guys but the writing has been on the wall for a long time now. I wish them all well.

Yardman

flufdriver
24th Apr 2005, 17:16
Without actually being on the inside to know the full story, what seems perfectly obvious is that with the Government taking charge of the airline once again there has been a shift in priorities.

It is one thing for a private entity to try and build up a regional network of airservice and quite another for a government with accountability to the taxpaying public to continue serving routes and destinations that may not primarily benefit Jamaica.

Therefore I can see where there came a situation of retrenchment and perhaps some capacity reductions were considered necessary.

I regret the the loss of jobs for as many as 40 Pilots and more in other divisions including I believe some 100 flight attendants. I do hope they will find other opportunities, but unfortunately that is the reality of life these days in all occupations.