PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Forces - Flight Engineer

dopeonarope
15th Apr 2005, 13:48
I am looking for some advice regards Flight Engineers and recruitment in CF.

I am a landed immigrant (currently awaiting citizenship) who spent 15 years in RAF, 10 years as an Air Loadmaster, with 5 spent as Support Helicopter crewman and 5 years as a SAR Winchman (SAR Tech rough equivalent) prior to emigration 4 years to this great country.

I am planning to apply to join as either a Loadmaster or preferably as a Flt Engineer.

What background do the Flt Engineers have, are they Technicians who apply to become aircrew or do they come from a wide mil background? The reason I ask this question is looking at the job description for Flt Eng - Helicopters, that covers my old job description completely, and with 2,500 rotary crewman and SAR experience would be better suited to Flt Engineer - Hels.

What is the sylabus for training and time scale? From basic training thru' to the conversion unit. I am looking initially as a Reservist (I understand there is a freeze on recruiting at this present time), but will of course consider FT. Any help would be greatly appreciated and please feel free to PM me.

Yours Aye

Dopeonarope

Huron Topp
15th Apr 2005, 15:30
Coming from your background, gawd only knows what rules might apply. In the CF world, all FEs come from a tech background. Loadmasters are all Traffic Technicians (I believe you folks use the term Muppets) and are therefore not considered a "hard" aircrew trade.

SAR Winchman (SAR Tech rough equivalent)

I understand how you meant this, but it isn't something you would say out loud to a SARTech. Those boys are far, far above the level of training of a Winchman.

dopeonarope
15th Apr 2005, 15:41
Huron Topp,

Are FEs aircraft techs eg engines, frames, electrics or electronics? Or do they come from other tech backgrounds as well? I spent first 5 years as an Electronic Technician Airfields (Aerospace Telecommunications And Information Systems Technician (ATIS TECH) in CF speak; and would hope that would suffice as my tech background

Of course I meant as a rough equivalent to a SAR Tech, same job, just done differently due to geography! I have a couple of SAR Techs as friends here and mucho respect to the job that they do.

Dopeonarope

Huron Topp
15th Apr 2005, 15:48
Sorry, couldn't tell you. Tradem names have changed so often since I left, that I don't know who's who in the zoo, anymore.

Give a recruiter a call is your best bet. Barring that, give 426 Squdron at CFB Trenton a call.

Check your PMs