PDA

View Full Version : FAA IR currency

ramshorn
15th Apr 2005, 12:23
Hi
Just wondering if anyone could tell me how long my FAA IR is valid for?I have not kept it current since 5 years ago this june,and am just about to start converting it to JAA.
I will obviously have to do some re training to make it current again but i was slightly concerned that as i had not kept it current for so long that it might have become invalid??
Thanks

Keygrip
15th Apr 2005, 12:28
Your concern was justified - the I/R is no longer valid.

Flight test with an examiner (or "D.P.E." as the FAA call them) to renew it.

WX Man
16th Apr 2005, 15:16
So for us blokes and blokesses who hold a FAA IR, what do we have to do to keep it valid? I realise that I should know... but I'm not too proud to admit that I've forgotten!!!

Seaweed Knees
16th Apr 2005, 19:00
6 approaches in the last six month period to stay current.
after that, you have six additional months to fly the approaches with a safety pilot in the right seat.
After that youre going to need an IPC with any CFII.
There may be a point further down the line, after a longer period of being uncurrent when you will need to undergo a more thorough checkout, but im not sure.

Search for the FARs relating to this. im sure there online somewhere.

Herbie-TZ
23rd Apr 2005, 18:50
Next to the 6 approaches in the last 6 months there is the requirement as stated below:

Every six months you need to perform at least six instrument approaches, holding procedures, and intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigation systems. Failing that, you have, as was the case with the old regs, another six months to get current before having to take an instrument proficiency check.

This is taken from AOPA's website:
http://www.aopa.org/pilot/features/ii_9802.html

Another nice link:
http://afs600.faa.gov

Last but not least, when it is very long ago since you got yor IR, I would take recurrency training, but legally all you need is a succesful IPC to get your FAA-Instrument-rating current again.

Happy IR-flying!

grtz from TZ,

Herbs, CFII

If you have more questions PM me.

dickon
24th Apr 2005, 05:17
Yeah all you need is an IPC (Instrument proficiency check). That can be given to you by any FAA CFII. The only thing obviously is that the CFII is then putting his signature to your proficiency, so yes after so long you will probably have to undergo a fair amount of training before he signs you off!

Good Luck:ok:

-IBLB-
26th Apr 2005, 21:22
As mentioned above, what is required, is an IPC, which can be done with an examiner, but also with a CFII, which is what usually is done.

It will require atleast an hour of ground, and atleast an hour of flight. If the instructor is happy putting his signature in your logbook, you're done.
Note: this IPC doesn't require to have all the 6 approaches, holds, intercepting and tracking. It is up to the instructor's discretion.

Be aware though, that in the PTS (practical test standards) of the FAA Instrument rating, there is now a chapter about the IPC. If you would look through that, you can find that what you will need to be able to demonstrate, is almost the same as what you will need to be able to demonstrate during an initial IR chechkride.

-IBLB-