15th Apr 2005, 09:54
Found this on aviation jobsearch today,

it made me giggle...

TODAYS JOBS FOR YOU...

---------------------------------------------------
Job Title: Unmanned Air Vehicle Pilot
Salary: úcompetitive + benefits
QinetiQ is Europe's leading...

but seriously, how are unmanned vechicles piloted?

Limit State
15th Apr 2005, 10:58
Ehhh... By someone remotely controling it?

;)

tony draper
15th Apr 2005, 11:09
They could be seeking a castrated pilot for a normal air vehicle, one understands they are much more docile.
:rolleyes:

Biggles Flies Undone
15th Apr 2005, 11:11
I notice that the post is in Wales and they do have some strange practices up there.... http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/sheep.gif

PIGDOG
15th Apr 2005, 11:30
but doesn't UNMANNED mean just that? Automated?

anyway, it did make me laugh, even if there is a reasonable explanation!!

ORAC
15th Apr 2005, 11:39
Thought the word was "uninhabited" in these PC days...

IB4138
15th Apr 2005, 12:10
Sounds like a job for one of the "Crash Test Dummys", if they have disbanded!:rolleyes:

BOAC
15th Apr 2005, 12:12
More correctly, of course, 'unpersonned':D

Onan the Clumsy
15th Apr 2005, 12:16
but doesn't UNMANNED mean just that? Automated? not really, it just means there's no one in it, not that there's no one controlling it.

...but I wonder what king of cert you need to fly it.

Shouldn't that be Welsh Wales?

Nopax,thanx
15th Apr 2005, 12:25
Been doing this since I was at school!

take one sheet of paper, fold lengthwise, etc, etc.

and launch!

:p

tall and tasty
15th Apr 2005, 12:33
But how will the plane spotters be able to do their listening in on the a/c with band radios with one of these????

Nopax,thanx they now do a brillant little box set of miniture paper a/c to make with a book that explains the ins and outs of flight!! The sets are pre printed on card and coloured for you so all you have to do is construct one and hey presto brillant fun. Took one in to the office a couple of months ago and flew them around silently!

TnT

:p :p

airship
15th Apr 2005, 12:58
but seriously, how are unmanned vechicles piloted? They use the latest secure wireless communication technologies. Like the Bluetooth and 802.11x protocols as used by your latest mobile devices. Strangely enough, sometime ago, I was using my Sony Ericsson mobile to make a call when something weird happened. I was presented with a screen showing an image of a desert with a few spots on it and the message "target locked on, launch Y/N?". Well, I just pressed the left-hand button which usually ends calls. But later that evening on the news I heard that a whole herd of camels had been decimated in a forlorn part of Iraq. One of them may have trampled over a mine, or so the story goes... :O

HowlingWind
15th Apr 2005, 13:04
That's a good one, Airship. One admits, though, that in this era of mobile-phone controlled bombs and whatnot, it's just enough within the realm of possibility to be slightly scary...:eek:

airship
15th Apr 2005, 13:13
Fear not, HowlingWind, millions of Africans already rely on Bill Gates for their health. Someday soon, Microsoft will introduce the technology to allow UAV pilots an undo option in case of problems... :uhoh:

HowlingWind
15th Apr 2005, 14:02
Ah, yes. Who needs Al Queda when there is the Miracle of Microsoft? :eek: :oh:

And their dominance extends far beyond America's shores...

Krystal n chips
15th Apr 2005, 16:59
Well it's a good job I suppose------but it will never beat being a vibrator mechanic :D --as advertised in the Daily Mail----many years ago as I recall---something to do with geology / surveys for the curious btw.

acbus1
15th Apr 2005, 18:11
vibrator mechanic
Only obtainable to those with a cervix agreement.

Windy Militant
16th Apr 2005, 00:19
That's modern technology for you, used to take five people to fly a Jindivik.
What chance have those poor dabs got down the job center." Well Mr Jones what experience do you have?" "Well I've got twenty years on ailerons" " Now there's a shame were looking for someone with multiskills for this job"............ ;)

tony draper
16th Apr 2005, 08:31
I understand it was equally difficult for the chaps to shoot it down as well Mr Militant.
and had a six to one kill ratio agin the lads in fast pointy things.
:cool: