PDA

View Full Version : Etihad Pay

Flibbertigibbet
15th Apr 2005, 01:53
Hi,

does anyone know if in addition to the base pay 2500 and the 210 per flying day, as a flight attendant are you given an allowance when you arrive at the hotel for overnights?

Thanks

Flirt Attendant
15th Apr 2005, 09:52
The 2500 is base pay for the initial 6 week training. The base pay for flying is 3020 + 210 per duty day. Not sure about any extra allowances.

etihadlad
8th May 2005, 06:51
EY pay a base pay of 3020 dirhams per month and then a duty pay of 210 dirhams per duty day.

You recieve the payment whether you sign on at 08:00 or 23:30 (but of course, if you do sign on at 23:30 - then you score the full payment and then another one as soon as 00:01 rolls around!! Whoohoo!!!!)

This is in place of receiving allowances in slip ports and is not a variable payment .ie if you are doing a LHR trip or a BKK trip you receive the same amount . Even though the two ports are totally different per - cost of living.

Other airlines pay differing amounts dependant on where your destination is - so it kinda works out even in the end with EY - kinda like "what you lose on the roundabout - you make up for on the swings"

No other allowances are paid. After all - there are the other perks of accomm, ulitites, dry cleaning. etc

Just means that you have to manage your money yourself a little -and I think we can all do that!!!!

;) I mean we may be C/C but we are not totally useless!!!

Hope this helps

GalleyHag
8th May 2005, 13:40
So the base salary is about AUD $1060.00 Per Month and say you have 20 flying days @ AUD $80.00 thats AUD $1600.00 giving you a total of AUD $2660.00 Per Month. That cant be right seriously, are you kidding?

SkySista
8th May 2005, 13:53
I mean we may be C/C but we are not totally useless!!!

ROFL!!!! :D

EYlad, that's the funniest thing I've seen all day!!!! :p

fourplay
9th May 2005, 10:21
Galley,

The salary is $700 pw (on average) tax free after training for entry level cabin crew.
In addition medical/dental, dry cleaning of uniform, transport to and from work and new apartment accomodation.

It is what we would call here in AU a $60,000 package (within that is aprx $10,000 tax)

Abu Dhabi also has a very reasonable cost of living.

Virgin Blue entry crew after training receive aprx (on average) $900 after tax, out of this most crew pay their own accommodation, transport to and from work, dry cleaning and medical/dental if they chose to insure.

(currency quoted in AUD)

PerthFlyer101
9th May 2005, 14:18
Try and think outside the Box
We may not get as much as Emirates crew initially but less of us work there and the company is going through a growth stage!

More promotion opp's perhaps and what does that mean for our pay?

A Cabin Service Manager in 2 years appeals to me a lot more greatly than being promoted to business class in 2 years.

If you have been selected by Etihad your guardian angel has looked after you.

etihadlad
9th May 2005, 14:50
Yes - the pay is about that - but come on !!! :uhoh: The "glory days" of flying are fast depreciating and really it is not all that bad. Try working for a LCC and see what you get these days in comparison to the workload they ask of crew and the conditions.

You have to try and remember that it is TAX-FREE!!! ie - take home. The only expenses that you will have are food and entertainment - and if you can't afford to do that on about AUD $2500- $3000 a month - then god help you - you must have one hell of a jet-setter's life!!! Besides - you will have to work sometime - so when will you have all the time to spend it????? I earned about that much in AUD$$ and STILL had a life, AND 2 mortgages and loans to service - so it can be done.
Ask any of us - Cabin Crew are fantastic workers of magic, we do this on a daily basis on board our aircraft, but we cannot just make money appear - we BUDGET!!!!!

Also, another fact which was mentoned earlier by fourplay - the cost of living in AD can be cheaper in some areas - taxis, purhasing of certain goods, etc...., and promotion chances are greater if you prove your worth in the company and want to achieve greater things. - so it ain't all bad ..... we can't have everything.

Remember - some people are prepared to give up an organ just to be cabin crew - so what EY offer is pretty damn good.

(Well, time for me to get off my soapbox!!!- time for my medication !!!:O :ok: )

gccpro
10th May 2005, 02:51
Yes if you have been selected by Etihad definetly have a gardian angel looking after you and probably half the senior management if you are female!

Different strokes for different folks!

Would everyone come to reality, when it comes to expenses Abu Dhabi is very expensive, since EY started, cost has doubled. Social life is ....* And sorry my apologies, but you can't beat the EK pay or the lifestyle of Dubai where at least double zeros don't necessarily perve on you all day.

:suspect: :suspect: :suspect:

fourplay
10th May 2005, 06:55
QUOTE:
Yes if you have been selected by Etihad definetly have a gardian angel looking after you and probably half the senior management if you are female! UNQUOTE:

Don't mean to be rude however, what the hell are you rabbiting on about above?
care to elaborate.

I have several friends in AUH and they all tell me Food, clothing restaurants, taxis, cosmetics, fragrance, small electricals etc are very reasonable.
I have researched motor vehicle ads online at gulf news and found they are aprox half the price in the UAE against AU.

Only accommodation seems to be heading for the ceiling as demand outstrips suppy.

PerthFlyer101
10th May 2005, 11:34
gccpro you probably work for Emirates, a professional and very reputable company, you must feel very proud to work for them, they are an image of excellence.

But Etihad is also a very elitle airline, recently receiving a billion dollar capital injection, and are expanding their route network rapidly. Obviously driven and executed with more intelligence than we would know or understand.

Move on gccpro and be happy for fellow professionals acheiving their dreams.

PEACE.

fourplay
10th May 2005, 12:41
There's something else I would like to ad to this thread in relation to salary at EY.

There seems to be a lot of crew complaining about their salary and/or conditions from various airlines I have noticed over the past year of being on this forum.

Whilst I can appreciate the industry has changed dramatically during the past 10 years in relation to salary, conditions and perks, some crew have indeed got the raw end of the stick.

I notice EY crew have not been at all negative on this forum nor those that I know whom are currently working for the carrier,
some who have been there from the start!

And I am not talking about Indian and Phillipino nationals that would accept the salary as very generous.
I am talking about AU, UK, FR, BZ, SA, US, CA nationals.
These people love it at EY and see the potential for incredible growth, departmental moves, promotion, making some great friendships and living in an exotic location.
They are making the most of the opportunities.
While some here winge they would not go to the UAE or work for
that money.
May I say count your blessings if you feel you are on a better wicket than those in the Middle east or on our way over.
Because some of us have to go overseas just to work in our chosen profession.

If you have a cabin crew position in AU Lucky you?... I wonder.

Doors to Automatic
10th May 2005, 13:10
Unless I have miscalculated somewhere the basic pay (of 3020 dirhams) is about GBP438 per month !?

Tax free or not tax free (It wouldn't make much difference in the UK as it is only just above the zero tax threshold) this is surely not correct?

KiloMIke
10th May 2005, 14:53
Ethidlad nice to see someone positive about things and upbeat. All too often these boards are full of people whining about this, thatand the other!

Good luck and happy flying!!

SPFlyer
11th May 2005, 00:44
D to A,

you have forgotten to add the duty pay.

210 x 20 = 4200

+ 3010
-----------
7210 Dms per month = approx 1050 sterling.

Not too bad without any rent, water, electricty, gas, transport costs to pay.

And this is without overtime ( payable after 110 duty hours per month, i think. Note DUTY hours, not FLIGHT hours )

Friends who fly out of London take home marginally more than this but then lose 500 pound+ immediately in rent.

Not too bad a package to be honest.....

etihadlad
11th May 2005, 01:03
Firstly - thanks KiloMike for your nice words....

May I point out some things that I have found in my years of flying and successful applications to other airlines.
When I first started flying domestically in Aust, I was paid the HUGE sum of about AUD$1600 per month !!!!! $25000 pa( for those who need that converted - thats 640 Pounds, or 4640dirhams a month) and that was all inclusive !!!!!

I had to have my uniform dry cleaned at my own expense, pay rent, transport cost to and from work, normal living expenses and still have a life. May I say, at this time, that I realised that I loved flying and now matter how much money I earned (or didn't earn!!) I was the happiest I have ever been.
FYI - I came from another profession where I was paid more than twice as much as this - so I thought I was making a BIG sacrifice at the time!!!!

Since working in the industry , I have been fortunate to have had pay increases and been accepted to other International airlines. I have been accepted for QF UK where the salary worked out to roughly AUD$3750pm. (1500pounds) all inclusive of duty allowances.(other than possible O/T)
EY salary works out to about AUD$2500( 1000Pnds) So yes, in comparison against the others, it can make the EY salary not look so hot.

BUT HANG ON!! - that's right - even with the QF salary in the UK - I would have had to again pay transport costs(not cheap), rent(excessively expensive!!) etc from this - and we all know how cheap it is to live in LHR!!!! NOT!!!!
So for those of you who are comparing apples with oranges - look at the bigger picture. EY pay for almost all of your living and day to day expenses, medical etc. you need to add all that into the equation.

And finally, I ask you to think - personally, what is it that makes you really happy - Money? - or doing what you really want to do in a job you love??? Sure living in the Carribbean is nice - but are you going to fly out of there? I don't think so.

We all do what makes us happy and are satisfied with our lot in life - different courses for different horses as the saying goes - so if you don't think that you are happy with the offer by EY - then don't go - no one's making you. And for the others who are earning more in other airlines - well, then congratualtions - thanks for your offer - but you don't need to worry yourself about what I am earning. You can sleep easy at night...
:D :D

Sorry - in saying this - I am not intentionally trying to offend someone - just trying to put some perspective on the whole issue....:ok:

SkySista
11th May 2005, 05:44
Well said!

There is more to life than money, and if you are happy with what you are doing, often earning less than others in your industry isn't such a big deal.

Obviously, if you feel you can't live on the pay, don't go.

Just let me say right now I would love to be earning that much in a month - to get paid for flying? I'd do it for free! ;) (within reason of course...)

Sky

rhency
13th May 2005, 00:54
I agree with you guys 101% But come to think of it, if you worked in the industry for quite a while already(say 6-10years) and you still make the same money or worst, less money like when you first started flying. then, i believe there's no career progression there...that's stagnation. I mean, what you guys are saying is really very noble. like flying for free and being contented or happy with whatever paycheck you get every month even if it's the lowest in the industry. ok, it's right that you have to be contented and happy with whatever you have but it's also right that everyone of us here should aim high and reach for a higher goal, dont you think so? for sure, all of us here have financial obligations (like mortgages, credit cards, loan etc.) and it's all about budgeting those hard earned money wisely. but anyways, what im trying to point out here is..it's the most amazing thing in the world doing what you love best but as you grow older and wiser, you not only think of what you love doing best, you take into consideration the money reward you get from it.

i dont mean to offend anyone here too, im just trying to give you guys a different perspective to it as well.

All the best!

SkySista
13th May 2005, 02:40
I know what you mean, right now, I have to juggle all my bills, plus work, plus study. The pay some people here are saying is "low" would be luxury to me - I could pay for everything I need without worrying about it.

But as you say, it is all in perspective. What is 'low pay' to one person, is not to another.

I agree that after time in the job, your wages should certainly reflect that, and the rising cost of living. Unfortunately, that isn't always done by management.

Also sometimes in life you gotta take a check and think "what do I REALLY need in my life?"

Sucks I know, but sometimes necessary to cut out the "unneccesaries" in life..... :)

etihadlad
13th May 2005, 06:32
Totally agreed with your point of view, rhency, but what I was really saying as well, is that too many people focus on the take home salary in $$$ only.

While I previously gave up a position which paid twice as much as my first Cabin Crew position, I am now making much more than that and in the time I have been able to avail of things like cheaper airfares and associated accomm. discounts etc (staff travel perks) which has saved me a lot of money and allowed me to travel on a regular basis and much much more than I would have had I stayed in my old job. While I never had to declare this savings in my tax - full fares are something that i have never had to pay and it certainly has made me a better person( ??!!???) -well, at least more well-travelled and cultured one!!!!So when I am older and looking back on my life - I will be able to say I have been to all these places that many still only dream of when they retire (and still have to pay for out of their supperannuation/savings!! )

It is the other "non- value" perks which add to a job and these days all airlines offer different things in many ways. ie some staff are paid for flight time, others are duty time, some get unlimited/limited ID90 some get ID50, and these things can make a big difference in the long run.
Other benefits mentioned here are things like accommodation, utilities, transport, medical, dry cleaning, free annual tickets home etc etc. and they are not dollar amounts included in the salary - but certainly add up when you have to pay these things yourself.
As I said - if you are not happy with what an airline is offering - then maybe it is not for you - but look at the whole picture on offer. To keep it focussed on this thread, EY offers the added benefit of being a newer airline - so the opportunities for progression to CM roles is greater - therefore more money and an improvement in your lifestyle.

My main grief is that many people are saying that EY salary is terrible - I don't agree personally and it is me that has to live with my decision. i just hate others runnning around
bad-mouthing other companies ( not just EY ) so that it makes their own seem elitist and that THEY are the lucky ones to have got into their airline.

We should all just be happy for one another that we are lucky to have full time employment in the aviation industry, it is a very hard industry to get into ( we all know that!) but can be an extremely rewarding career. It's just that some earn more and others get different perks instead. Different things motivate and drive different peole - that's just life. Just look at the big picture. That's all.;)

Cheers:D :ok:

fourplay
13th May 2005, 09:57
People... Whats low about entry crew being paid
$AUD700/ 288UK Pound per week
(on average) after training, THAT IS IN THE HAND...

plus *Medical and dental.
*uniform dry cleaning
* Transport to and from duty
*Tax free
*Share accommodation that would cost you $AUD200/83UKP p/week in SYD/MEL minimum.

What in Gods name is there to debate here?
Let me give someone a slap, I am right up for it

:ouch: :ouch: :ouch:

etihadlad
13th May 2005, 18:01
Fourplay - Loved your response - welll said. Glad others can see the benefits/ positives that many choose to ignore........:ok:

Thanks for adding you view.;)

rhency
13th May 2005, 23:38
that is very true Fourplay. And EY's pay isn't even the lowest in the industry people. Like what Skysista mentioned, it's all about asking yourself first what you really wanna get from the job?

If you're not happy anymore with your paycheck every month, I believe the door is wide open for you to leave anytime instead of complaining right? Do something about it and find another job that will put an end to your frustrations and will forever put a smile on your face?!!!

Cheers

fourplay
14th May 2005, 00:12
Guys,

Its not existing crew complaining.
As I have mentioned previously I know quiet a few people within EY in several departments.
I have not heard anything negative, they have said it is not perfect however, improving all the time.

The flack is coming from armchair experts that know sh*t!
I would like to see the package I have repeatedly posted on here found in the UK or Europe.
I am strongly defending it because I know it is reasonable against other carriers wages and conditions.

Maybe the likes of Alitalia are better off salary wise, they have serious financial problems as a result and have had for decades.

:} :} :}

PerthFlyer101
15th May 2005, 11:58
also, how many growth opp's and jobs are offered in companies like BA, Qantas, and other European airlines?

When was the last time Qantas recruited?

Go, Etihad, Go.