PDA

View Full Version : QF Seniority

sydney s/h
15th Apr 2005, 00:57
Hi All,

I know this can be a rather divided topic.... but how is the current seniority system going to work in the future?

I was in the last full-time intake on 25 July 2002 (syd s/h) and i know all about "doing you time" as a junior and have spent my fair share of time on reserve. No prob with that.

My problem is that nearly 3 years down the track not a single full-timer has been employed and the word is that it's not going to happen in the near future - or maybe ever!

SO...how is the current seniority system going to work? Does this mean for the rest of my flying career i will sit on the bottom of the pile and never get a day off i want, get a single duty i want?

As i mentioned, i have no prob being a junior and moving through the ranks...but, this doesn't seem to be the way things are going.

Is a rotational reserve a possible choice (like the L/H guys do)? Is a rotating seniority system like the 737 techies do an option?

I dont know the answer but you can only sit on the bottom of the pile for so long. AND before i get bombarded with comments like stop whinging etc... thats not what this is about.

It sucks that we have these casuals (some up to 3yrs service) and they can't get a fulltime gig with us. What were some of people thinking when the eba was voted accepting this!!

Cheers.

Jet_Black_Monaro
15th Apr 2005, 01:51
You should've joined Virgin Blue.

No seniority, and with a points based bidding system 85% of crew requests are met every month.

You get 1000 points to spend every month, so if what you want is super important, you can spend the whole 1000 on it. Or you can spend varying amounts depending on the importance to you. This is also backed up with a standing 'lifestyle' bid eg max overnights, day trips, weekends etc, which costs no points as it is a standing bid. Points override standing bids.

It's a fantastic system, I almost always get what I bid for.

GalleyHag
15th Apr 2005, 03:49
I agree with you 100% Sydney S/H and the FAAA said "no-one" would be disadvantaged by the introduction of casuals.

I personally dont think the senority system will change anytime soon as the majority of crew are happy with the system. I personally would like to see a new and improved system but the chances of this happening are slim to none.

You should speak with the FAAA about this issue as they assured all crew no-one would be disadvantaged and the use of casuals would be strictly controlled against the permanent to casual ratio put in place. This is clearly not the case and needs to be addressed.

SkySista
15th Apr 2005, 11:01
digressing a bit, but...

EK's bidding system seems more fair... rotating seniority throughout the year so everyone, at least 3 or 4 times a year, gets what they want. None of this business with the newbies waiting years to get any choice of routes, days etc.....

YONLY
30th Apr 2005, 04:44
I can see your point. If you feel that strongly about getting a fairer system why don't you challenge it legally? It is a discriminatory system and I imagine would not be looked on favourably through the eyes of the law. All it would need is for a ruling from a court and you never know your luck?

captainrats
30th Apr 2005, 11:16
Tamper with the current bid system at your own peril.You would have to come up with a fantastic alternative.If I was still flying "squirrell caging"(rotating seniority) would have been agreeable.In Fact it was offered as an alternative or enhancement in 1988.

TightSlot
30th Apr 2005, 22:22
"Squirrell Caging" ??? - Great phrase, but why? Sorry to but in, but I have to know...

:p

jokova
2nd May 2005, 16:52
Rotating seniority is a curious concept and although I can think of hypothetical examples where an airline may not have a absolutely 'fixed' list, (though I recall ones that were indeed FIXED!), the image of squirrels racing madly round in their ferris wheel cages is Pythonesque. (Comparable to what a prominent Australian pollie said about talking to the media, which he called 'Feeding the chooks").

By by the way, who recalls any tales in the life of the East-West Airlines seniority numero uno for many years (roughly the sixties) one Toby Alleyne (rest his dry laconic soul) to whom many a droll anecdote has been ascribed. E.g. "You know I told you to get ******?" says Tobe to a pugnacious individual . . . . this after untold contention, hell, **** and derision over a dispute at work and Tobe being coerced into trying an apology. . . . "Yes, of course". . . . "WELL YOU DON'T HAVE TO."

What\'s with the sanitising six asterisks? . . .(who sells seashells where?). . . They are not mine and would never in a thousand years have been Tobe\'s, as all his curses were clear, concise, and in context, hardly profane. And he despised obscurity, so it was not he who said "When I see \'F\' you see \'K\' ".