PDA

View Full Version : Ontel Settings for Netgear DG834GT Help Please.

TeeS
15th Apr 2005, 00:03
Hi

I have newly subscribed to Ontel Broadband which I can get to work with the standard broadband modem supplied by OneTel.

I am now trying to set up my brand new Netgear DG834GT (connected by cable at this stage) but can't even get through the setup stage. I am reasonably computer literate but new to broadband and routers.

I have entered the following settings in the 'basic settings' screen:-

Does your internet connection require a login - Yes

Encapsulation - PPPoA (PPP over ATM)

Login - have tried a few variations on this, my username is something like "[email protected]" and email login is "[email protected]" I would appreciate confirmation of which bit of what constitutes the Login!

Password - I think I can cope with

Idle Timeout - 0

Internet IP address - Get dynamically from ISP

DNS - Get automatically from ISP

NAT - Enable

The computer seems to communicate with the router when I click Apply, however the test button fails to connect to the internet.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Cheers

TeeS

P.S. I have searched the OneTel and other sites but no info found yet.

Well wouldn\'t you know it!! Logged off from that last post on the laptop and standard modem, shouted obcenities at the router, had another go and the damned thing worked straight away.

If it is any help, I will pass an update of how it is all perfoming in a few days in case anyone else is thinking of using the same Internet Provider or equipment.

Cheers

TeeS

Keef
15th Apr 2005, 10:57
Routers are like that. Glad it saw the light, anyway. I've done three in the past year, and all three needed persuading. Once it's done, you can sit back and relax till you try to get the Wireless bit to work...