PDA

View Full Version : JD aviation - Manchester

Bluebaron
14th Apr 2005, 20:23
Anyone have any comments on these guys?

In particular about Approved CPL/IR instruction.

Thanks.

BB :cool:

'I' in the sky
15th Apr 2005, 10:16
Looking for a new job or asking 'for a friend' ?

Bluebaron
15th Apr 2005, 22:03
for a friend!

BB ;)

Bluebaron
23rd Apr 2005, 08:25
surely someone must have heard of them? (ok actually i hadn't untill i was asked!:O )

BB :cool:

craig1975
25th Apr 2005, 07:05
JD from what I can find out is a small one man band set-up run out of manchester airport using the facilities offered by Manchester School of Flying. THese have a portacabin on the live side of the airfield outside the spotters area.

The guy who runs it was either or is still an airtraffic controller at Manchester.

From what I have heard there is no reason to doubt the competancy of the school, but on the down side you lose the networking and friendships made at larger schools, prob worth a look though

mark twain
25th Apr 2005, 19:49
I have done some training with JD Aviation.

It is run by John Dale who is a current ATC guy at Manchester. He has a couple of other instructors working for him.

I now work for a competitor of JD's, but I have to say that from a financial point of view John is very straight, and he does not ask for lots of money up front. He can be cranky, but the training is excellent, and the two guys I know that work for him are very pleasant and very good at their jobs.

He is not the cheapest, and Manchester can be a pain to operate from with take off restrictions and having to fly fast ils's. But all told it was good experience.

As with everything it is worth talking to JD about CPL/IR training and make up your own mind.

If you are living in the North West you only have a couple of choices so it is best researching them all.

Check Mags On
26th Apr 2005, 10:00
Cheers MT

I'm one of those instructors at JD Aviation.
So thank you for those comments it's all appreciated.

JD Aviation is a small operation but that is one of the main benefits, it keeps a more one on one student /instructor relationship.
We never take on more students than we can handle, but before anyone replies, yes weather and a/c needing maintenance can sometimes cause a slight backlog. But thats flying and all schools have these problems.

but on the down side you lose the networking and friendships made at larger schools, prob

In response to that yes JD Aviation is a smaller school, but the networking is very active and through John really quite extensive.

And I do my best to get everyone to go out socially!!(drunk in Manchester) as often as possible.

Yes I am biased, but not blinkered, and i do work there.

BB if you want some more info then PM me.

Cheers
CMO

RowleyUK
27th Apr 2005, 09:33
All looked good when i had a look there....JD himself seemed like a decent enough bloke.

My biggest problem that i couldnt get my time to match with JD. So i retrospect i suppose its a good enough choice if you can get him in the A/c!!!!!

40KTSOFFOG
27th Apr 2005, 10:41
I am one of the people lucky enough to have started my CPL/IR training at J D Aviation and I have nothing but praise for the dedication, effort and care shown by all at JD !

I am in the last 5 hours of my IR, having completed my multi CPL with JD.

The training is superb, the experience which John and his intructors have means that the training is above and beyond what is required, and the fact that you are flying in and out of Manchester is fantastic training for the real world.

JD is actually based in the exeutive aviation building and not with MSF . John is not 'cranky', he does however put you under pressure to get things right, but that's the aim of the exercise !!

Bluebaron
27th Apr 2005, 12:56
Thanks for the input. I'll pass on the comments.

Regards,

BB :ok:

Alphabravo1121
30th Apr 2005, 18:42
Hmmmm i did my training at JD Aviation in the last 12 months and found that even tho it was excellent flying from a large International Airport (apart from the waiting period to get airborne sometimes up to 20mins) the school itself (or should i say the one room) wasn't up to my standards, i hardly ever got any groundschool/ briefings/ de-briefings, and the fact that i was never with the same instructor thought-out my course also didn't help especially as they all taught differently.

As for John himself not being cranky well that's another story.

This is what i encounter whilst i was there and it might have changed now.

Nine Eleven
3rd May 2005, 14:20
I also undertook training at JD Aviation in the last 12 months and found that it was a fantastic experience flying from a large International Airport, even on the very few occasions I encountered a delay to get airborne, watching and listening how the real pros operate close up is all part of the learning experience.

The school itself is only one room with the added facilities of all that NEA can offer (weather reports, engineers, handling etc.) all of which are up to the required standards for corporate jet pilots and presumably most student pilots. The groundschool/ briefings/ de-briefings were never rushed and instructors were always willing to elaborate further if required. I have never had a problem with any of the instructors and as for John I would say he was more honest than cranky with a wealth of experience. Sometimes the truth can hurt, but hey, welcome to the real world.

I could only highly recommend JD and to put my money where my mouth (keyboard) is I have just started the IR training there, to which I am in no doubt I will receive the same high level of training I have received in the past.

mark twain
4th May 2005, 08:04
Just thought I best expand on a couple of the comments.

The Cranky remark does not seem to have met approval!

For those that have met or know John, they may know what I mean!

He pulls no punches - if you want to be told hold great you are and how you are gods gift to the air, then JD may not be the guy for you. He will tell you as he sees it.

I found his feedback to be constructive and very relevant. He is not offensive in any way, he is very honest. He will teach you to be a good all round pilot, and be able to handle the practical issues of a flight and problems that occur.

In terms of facilities, I found them very good. A free supply of coffee and access to all that NEA have to offer.

Briefings - these were very good. Both pre and post flight. They were unhurried and helpful.

Don't be put off by the 'one room' - what more does he need? For me it works - you turn up get briefed, fly the detail, get debriefed, go home. No messing around, no sitting on your hands hoping to fly.

If you are after the license (CPL, CPL/IR) he will get you through - that is the main criteria with any school. You will also learn alot and as mentioned flying out of Manchester is a buzz.

The waiting times can be a pain, but you only get charged the standard 10 minutes before 5 after.

Being based in the North West it is handy to have schools that can offer good training without having to travel great distances. With JD you now have a couple of choices, and that is good for everybody.

Finally - I as I know John reads these. Cranky may not have been a fair comment, I reckon the quiet in the cockpit was you sitting totally relaxed and confident in my skills as a pilot, either that or total fear!

Thanks for getting me through.

Rubber Dagger
5th May 2005, 09:17
Nothing but the highest of praises for JD aviation, well done John, keep up the good work, especially those high pass rates.

:ok:

Check Mags On
5th May 2005, 10:14
Thanks Mr Twain

I'd just like to make a point about waiting times at Manchester.

Yes sometimes there can be delays. Sometimes as much as 20 minutes!!!
But the way our billing structure works is you are charged airborne time plus 15 minutes. (10 mins pre flight, 5 mins post flight)
It takes most students longer to do the instument checks and get settled after engine start. So you are already on a winner if your used to being charged by the hobs.

So if you do get delayed at the hold, you can make sure all your checks are done and watch the big boys, without thinking that you are being charged a fortune just to watch aircraft.

Cheers CMO

shaun ryder
12th May 2005, 22:51
Nice one 2 Mags, I agree, it's all good at JD. IR training first class and very enjoyable to boot. You will not go wrong!! A very personal service.

JP5A
18th May 2005, 14:55
May I say that I trained with JD back in 1995. I passed the IR test first time at Leeds and so did all the students before me. Yes, he had a 100% pass rate and I have no reason to suppose things are any different now. For us northern folk it is really the best place to go. His standards are very high and some people can't hack that, but that is their problem, not John's. If I was a passenger I would feel very confident being flown around by a CPL/IR pilot trained by JD Aviation.:ok:

10002level
22nd May 2005, 13:30
The best recommendation for training is from the former students. I would have thought it very unlikely that you would find any serious criticisms of JD. Go and see the set up and you will not be disappointed.