PDA

View Full Version : Jebel Ali Airport Dubai (and the Great Wall of China from space)

airhumberside
14th Apr 2005, 19:41
Hope this is in the right place - I understand a 2nd airport for Dubai is being built at Jebel Ali, what airlines will operate here?

Thanks

bigmountain
14th Apr 2005, 23:11
Still early stages. Plan is to have the charter, cargo and and courier ( fedex, ups etc) operators to startup and and as capacity increases move the major airlines fully sometime in 2015.Keeping the past growth of Dubai I suspect earlier.
As part of Jebel Ali airport a whole new city is being built to meet the requirements of the surrrounding area. A rail link is being proposed to cut down travel/ tranfer times between the airports.
Plan is to handle 120million pax

Hope this helps

Bigmountain

max6462
15th Apr 2005, 09:43
120millions passengers: Where are they going to find them ?
I really wonder about their general expansion plan sometimes...
Like we all dream about this "most exotic place" that is DXB...
:rolleyes:

tic
16th Apr 2005, 02:21
Apparently, 6 runways, and at end of day, current DXB airport will be largely for EK. Jebel- Ali for the rest, with high speed train to DXB and AUH. Rumour has it.

hann
16th Apr 2005, 19:45
max 6462

I understand where you're coming from, but never underestimate the UAE government !

SecurID
17th Apr 2005, 02:37
120millions passengers: Where are they going to find them ? I really wonder about their general expansion plan sometimes...

We all wondered that when the forecasts were 10% of that figure and questioned the ambitious expansion plans ten years ago. That was when there was nothing, and I mean nothing between Defense Roundabout and the Hard Rock Cafe apart from the Metropolitan Hotel. Nobody had even heard of Jebel Ali back then!

HotDog
17th Apr 2005, 03:12
When money is no object, things happen fast; like the following:

In 1976 Sheikh Rashid gave instructions for an ambitious project, the construction of the world's largest man-made harbor at Jebel Ali. When completed in 1979, Jebel Ali Port ranked alongside the Great Wall of China and the Hoover Dam as the only three man-made objects that can be seen from space.

Three years it took, that is all!

sirwa69
18th Apr 2005, 08:42
Had a chat with a senior bod in EK last week. Try to take the p!ss out of him as to what they were going to do with 45 A380's but he just reiterated the figures of 120 million passengers projection.

Apparently the whole world will stop off in Dubai on it's way between Europe, East America and Asia.

Also as there is no room for 45 A380's at the existing airport EK will be one of the first movers to Jebel Ali.

On On

Paraffin Budgie
18th Apr 2005, 12:18
I believe that the first Chinese astronaut was rather embarassed to find out that you cannot see the Great Wall of China from space.

It is, after all, rather narrower than most freeways in the USA, and you can't see them from space.....

Dr. Evil
18th Apr 2005, 12:41
How about the job situation?

ATCOs/ATCAs
MET
Engineers
etc.

Serco or DCA?

Operational 2006... Yeah right! Runway(s), taxiways, apron(s), lighting, navigational aids, terminals/buildings, Control Tower, Fire Service, MET station, procedures/AIP/Jeppesen, you name it.. all up to ICAO recommendations. It all takes time. 2006 I don't think so! Every project in the world concerning ATC/Airports etc is being delayed. FAT/SAT is so easy to reject. 2008 perhaps.

ODGUY
18th Apr 2005, 15:43
I believe that the first Chinese astronaut was rather embarassed to find out that you cannot see the Great Wall of China from space.

Are you sure?

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/radar/sircxsar/sc-gwall.gif

Source (http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/radar/sircxsar/gwall.html)

It is not visible from the moon, no man made object is visible, after a few thousand miles nothing is visible other than white, blue, yellow and some green.

airvlad
18th Apr 2005, 21:42
These are microwave radar images, not photos.
It doesn't prove your point.

SecurID
19th Apr 2005, 06:44
For the doubters that believe Dubai does not mean business, how many 'Man Made' objects can you see in this photo? In inis image, the green areas on the ground show up as red. As you can see there is not a lot of 'red' about! And is that the 'secret' airbased at Minhad??

http://www.spaceimaging.com/gallery/resourcesat/Dubai_11_29_03_P6_L4.jpg

Paraffin Budgie
19th Apr 2005, 11:13
The word is that Palm Island 3 will be visible from space (and so will the traffic jams in Deira while it's being constructed)

Fox3snapshot
20th Apr 2005, 08:13
Hmmmm now what is that lovely little airfield doing in that picture....is that the "West Asian desert location" that can't be talked about?????

:hmm:

ODGUY
21st Apr 2005, 16:59
These are microwave radar images, not photos.

what was my point exactly? :confused:

newswatcher
22nd Apr 2005, 14:13
From "Airports International" magazine

Jebel Ali Cargo Airport
3 March 2005
Construction of Dubai's Jebel Ali Airport City project got underway in February. Some 25 miles (40km) from the existing Dubai International Airport phased development will focus on cargo traffic followed by passenger terminals. The new airport for the Emirate is expected to begin operation in 2-3 years time. It will have a handling capacity of about 12 million tonnes of cargo and 120 million passengers annually. It will have six parallel runways - all expected to be A380 capable.

Let's hope the "accelerated" development does not lead to another fatal accident, like the one last year at the new Dubai Terminal development!

From "Gulf News"
http://www.gulfnews.com/Images/2004/07/13_airport280.gif

Here (http://www.pbase.com/bmcmorrow/dubaiprojects&page=all) is a comprehensive photo montage of Dubai developments

Scrubbed
22nd Apr 2005, 14:22
Comparing The Wall (built by an empire) with an island (built by Dubai Inc.) is a little tacky..... how many habitats did the Wall destroy in its creation??

And I would be surprised if you could see the Great Wall from space. It's a pretty skinny wall and fallen down in most places too.

Anyway what do these photos prove...? Nothing. I think the claim was "see" from space, not "photograph".

You could take of picture of the Wall from uranus if you had powerful-enough equipment and a little help.

With the naked eye (not the brown eye), you would have more chance seeing something a lot bigger, obviously.

Like a city...... say, I dunno. Nagasaki.

Especially if it was all lit up.

soompak
24th Apr 2005, 15:09
One thing I know about Dubai. It's plan like Emirates Airline never fails.

Let us hope that Jebel Ali Airport also be a success.

SecurID
24th Apr 2005, 20:44
Thank F#@K I did not buy a house in the Green Community. That airport is right next door!

Red Dragon
26th Apr 2005, 08:29
It's interesting to see how close Arabian Ranches is to Minhad. Oops, wasn't supposed to say that?!!

Fox3snapshot
30th Apr 2005, 04:42
Had any men in dark suits and sunglasses turn up at your door yet????

:E

Desert Nomad
1st May 2005, 09:41
Wont be long until they have to move the airbase that doesn't exist to somewhere new that isn't really there.

That whole area would be a nightmare to live in with the theme parks etc that are going into such a small area.

MR8
1st May 2005, 10:15
Desert Nomad..

Was thinking the same thing.. those poor people who are buying something at Arabian Ranches must be very bad informed.. Not only have they already a race circuit next door, which is still quiet now, but once A1 kicks off, it might become quite noisy overthere..
The next few years, their access roads will be full of construction lorries for Dubailand, and once that is finished, traffic will be hell in that part of the desert.
Don't forget every year the ever so popular (and completely overrated) Global Village... and to complete things, now it seems that they also have to endure cargo traffic between the two Dubai airports...
As for the three palms.. looks like Jebel Ali palm will be situated right on the approach/departure track of Jebel Ali airport, as does Deira palm with DXB...
Maybe moving to Sharjah isn't such a bad idea after all... ;)