PDA

View Full Version : New Computer Installation Advice

roach
14th Apr 2005, 18:25
At long last a new XP computer is to replace my 98se. I would appreciate some advice or pointing to any site which tells me the best way to set this up. Everything will be pre-loaded ( Win XP, AV, drivers for the DVD/CD etc ) but I will want to plug in my printer and ADSL modem....what is the best way to tackle things? Do I install everything in one go or one thing at a time? I believe the connection to the internet should be last. I have never used XP and would welcome any tips on setting up users etc. what I am afraid of is setting up something that can not be undone.
I will not be insulted by any answers, I think of my knowledge as OK but I have not got a clue about XP.
I plan to try and connect my old PC to the new one to transfer files by cable initially although the new one will have a wireless card the old one does not....am I better to burn the files to CD and transfer that way?
Thanks in advance for any replies

Keef
14th Apr 2005, 18:45
XP is very much better behaved than the 95/98/ME range. I'd be surprised if you had any serious problems.

I would start with the Internet connection, and get that working - because if there are any more drivers needed for the other peripherals, it's quite likely XP will go onto the Net and find them for you.

Do them one at a time, and you may be pleasantly surprised. USB stuff, in particular, is well behaved. Just read the instructions carefully for each item, to see if for XP you should just "plug and go", or run the Install routine before you plug it in.

For transferring files - if you have a router, with a LAN connection for the old and for the new machine, that's the way to go. I copied across many years' worth of stuff to my new machine a couple of months ago, via the LAN, and it was scarily fast.

roach
14th Apr 2005, 19:08
Thanks for the info Keep. You would start with the internet and go on from there, does this mean that as long as the AV is installed and on then I should be OK? Regards the drivers does this mean that XP has inbuilt drivers for most peripherals and only asks for install CD if req or is best to choose own CD if the choice is even given

Keef
14th Apr 2005, 20:26
XP comes with a lot of drivers already loaded. I would guess that more than half the items I plug in are recognised with no further input from me. Plug into the USB port, a short pause, a beep and a message to tell me a new device has been detected, then a pause while it looks for the drivers, then a message that my new hardware is ready for use.

HOWEVER ... some devices may trigger the "wrong" driver. If you read the instructions with the device, it will tell you whether just to plug it in, or to run an install programme before you do. Follow those instructions, and you can't go wrong. Look for "XP" rather than "98" or "ME" in the instructions.

I don't know which device you mean by the "AV". If that's anti-virus software, then yes - install it first, before the ADSL modem. Then, as soon as you have the ADSL working, get it to update its virus data file off the web (but AFTER the firewall/Zone Alarm).

If your ADSL modem doesn't have a built-in firewall, then download and install ZoneAlarm free as soon as you have your internet connection up and running. It's amazing how quickly the vermin will find you and start poking around inside your PC otherwise.

goates
14th Apr 2005, 20:31
XP has at least basic drivers for just about every piece of consumer hardware out there. The drivers that come with most peripherals might give you added features though. When I buy a new piece of hardware I will go to the manufacturer's website and see if there are newer drivers than what is on the included CD.

The first thing I would do is check for Windows updates after you get your internet up and running. And then make sure your anti-virus program is up to date too. From there just install one thing at a time as Keef suggested. While you shouldn't have any problems, it gets much harder to track things down if more than thing was installed at the same time.

Make sure the WindowsXP firewall is active if you do not have another firewall installed or do not have a router.

Mac the Knife
14th Apr 2005, 20:59
I assume that this will be SP2 which has it's own firewall which is turned on by default.

If your ADSL modem/router has it's own firewall that should be adequate. If not consider downloading and setting up ZoneAlarm, which gives you better protection. Once you have downloaded it, disconnect from the Net, disable the Windows firewall and install the ZoneAlarm firewall (you shouldn't have two firewalls running on the same machine.)

It sounds like you will get it with an AV package already installed. Update this the very first thing you do when you connect for the first time.

Then download and install the Microsoft AntiSpyware application from http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
Despite being from M$ it is an excellent defence (Microsoft bought it from Giant Software). Make sure you activate "Realtime Protection" and "Automatic Updates".

Now you're fairly safe and can plonk around finding drivers and generally exploring.

I suggest that you also do two other things.

1) Go to http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm and download and run the Emergency Utilities script. Read the Web page for details.

2) Go to http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ and download and install the ERUNT utility. Read the Web page for details.

You should probably also install AdAware and SpyBot S&D and a a couple of other things that help keep you safe, but if you like we can talk about that later.

The critical moments are when you first connect to the Web - you really need to update your AV software immediately and also run Windows Update - then Microsoft AntiSpyware.

Although I loathe M$ business practices, in it's current incarnation is a very nice and stable platform - I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

PS: I would also suggest that you download and run Mozilla Firefox as an alternative to Internet Explorer. It is a much more modern and secure browser and much nicer to use.

Good luck!