PDA

View Full Version : James Lee Burke

Onan the Clumsy
14th Apr 2005, 17:52
Anyone read any of his books?

I'm reading Bitterroot at the moment. It's set in Montana with different characters, but for all intents and purposes, it's another Dave Robicheaux book.

For those who don't know him, he has written a series of books about a Cajun detective who's trying to live a quiet life in New Iberia Parish outside of New Orleans. He's a complicated man with a convuluted past. A brawling father and a mother who left when he was young, he eventually ended up in Vietnam as an MP, came home an alcoholic and was a New Orleans street cop for a while. He left to run a bait shop, but trouble seems to seek him out on a regular basis so he joined the local sherrif's department.

I think they're great books as they portray a flawed hero who tries and often fails to subdue the demons inside him. The writing is very descriptive and the dialogue is on a par with Raymond Chandler and Elmore Leonard. Best of all, they're written in the first person, so they have a sense of immediacy that'll draw you in.

Anyway, I gotta go. Chapter 20 beckons.

Onans Girlfriend
14th Apr 2005, 20:27
A brilliant book Onan, Wanna know who did it?:E

Onan the Clumsy
14th Apr 2005, 20:33
Nooooooooooooooooo!

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Apr 2005, 20:35
Colonel Mustard in the conservatory with a candlestick.

pigboat
14th Apr 2005, 20:58
Colonel Sanders in the kitchen with a chicken.

Check out the Hieronymous Bosch novels by Michael Connelly or the Lucas Davenport series by John Sandford. Excellent! :ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Apr 2005, 21:02
John Sanford very good. Tend towards the dark, anarchic humour of Carl Hiaasen, myself.

airship
14th Apr 2005, 21:07
Wanna know who did it? Who did what with whom? Yeh yeh, the juicy bits...

Onans Girlfriend
14th Apr 2005, 21:12
There are no real juicy bits Airship, its not that sort of book. The books you refer to are probably on the top shelf if you want juicy bits...;)

Onan the Clumsy
14th Apr 2005, 21:12
SRT Hiaasen is also one of my favourites.

If you like him, you might care to check out Lawrence Shames. Try Virgin Heat. In a lot of ways it's quite similar to a Hiaasen novel, perhaps without the undercurrent of rage and anger though.

Dave Barry also wrote a book, whose name I forget, but that was in a similar mode.

Onans Girlfriend
14th Apr 2005, 21:18
Dave Barry wrote a few books ( if its the same guy) He wrote Dave Barry Turns 40, D Barry in Cyberspace and others.

I had not realised you were so well read Onan.

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Apr 2005, 21:18
Onan

I've read the Dave Barry effort. Not as good as his columns or Hiaasen but mildly entertaining.

Will definitely check out Mr Shames but Hiaasen's anger and his dig at society is part of what I enjoy most about his stuff. Always gives me the urge to burn down the council offices and club survivors back into the flames as they run out screaming...:E Does that qualify me to take on Ol' Jeb for his job as governor of Florida?

airship
14th Apr 2005, 21:26
Well Onans Girlfriend, have you got any? ;)

Onans Girlfriend
14th Apr 2005, 21:32
Definately not.... but I bet you have!

Onan the Clumsy
14th Apr 2005, 21:37
I had not realised you were so well read Onan That's because you always fall asleep before I do. :E

Onans Girlfriend
14th Apr 2005, 21:40
How many naughty books can you read in one night Onan before a girl gets fed up!:{

Oh and while I'm at it, I'm flying again tonight. Dont leave that disgusting mess I came home to this morning!

airship
14th Apr 2005, 21:41
Definately not.... but I bet you have! Mine aren't up top, they're lower down... :E