PDA

View Full Version : Jet A1 lager available in Nairobi

4HolerPoler
14th Apr 2005, 15:39
Latest from Nairobi:

Jet fuel has become a major component in a local illicit brew drunk by many urban poor in Nairobi, a local newspaper reported on Thursday. The Daily Nation newspaper quoted a brewer and seller of the illegal changaa liquor in a Nairobi slum, saying airport workers sell jet fuel to a well established net of customers who sell it on to brewers in the city. The brewer said jet fuel is used to make the drink stronger - and it is also much cheaper than traditional ingredients, making the profits higher. The newspaper reports said brewers also use formalin, a chemical used to preserve bodies, to shorten the brewing period. "We don't have the time to go through long processes of preparation (of the original changaa brew). The drunkards are readily available with money, and all they need is something to make them high," said Mama Pima, the slum brewer. The traditional changaa is made of maize flour, sorghum yeast and different types of sugar, but takes 20 days to make.

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Apr 2005, 18:19
Sounds like skokiaan. Among the ingredients for that were old car batteries and fertiliser.:eek:

Surviving a hangover caused by that stuff must have been touch and go...

Agaricus bisporus
15th Apr 2005, 13:00
Sounds like b@llocks to me.

1) Anything containing kerosene would be undrinkable.
2) if you did drink it youd get very ill, not high and die pretty fast too
3)You couldnt brew anything with kerosene in it - it would kill the yeast

Fevered imagination of some dim journo with too much time on his hands who fancifully imagines jet fuel is some exotic whizz-bang chemical and doesnt realize it is common or garden parraffin.

Solid Rust Twotter
15th Apr 2005, 19:58
Ag

Not certain it's actually "brewed" as such. Mostly it's just a mix of stuff that'll make you fall over and cough up a major organ.:yuk:

Gunship
15th Apr 2005, 20:50
Whatever it is .. it can not beat oom Tas :ok:

15th Apr 2005, 21:17
Heard that the folks rinse a glass with brake fluid and then fill it with normal beer. Thats if you can call Black Label normal. The mixture causes a person to drink one, maybe two glasses and thats it. Thereby saving plenty of money and still getting fart ass drunk!! Never tried it myself though:yuk: as I prefer to keep my organs where they are.
Heard about a good doctor who'll remove your spleen so that your swollen liver has more space.....:E

Gunship
15th Apr 2005, 21:24
Heard about a good doctor who'll remove your spleen so that your swollen liver has more space..

:p :p :p

Ok ok ok ... wil remain on Tassies thanks :ok: :ok: :ok:

Rhodie
16th Apr 2005, 06:21
On my last trip to Zimboonland, I went out for a few drinks and dinner with some friends (the very few left there), to one of the still good restaurants... pizza's at Z$85,000. (yup, eighty-five THOUSAND dollars - it's more than doubled since then), steaks over Z$150,000 etc. I was on beers during dinner, but went onto scotch when we went to a pub afterwards...

Next morning I had the most incredible splitting headache.. :{

My friends told me that it was highly unlikely that the 'Bells' scotch I was drinking was what the bottle said - most of the clubs (even the 'good' ones) decanted the real stuff and replaced with the local stuff.. now, it had tasted a bit strange, but I had put it down to the few beers and/or the (great) chilli sauce with the steak..

Seems the local brew contains mostly Ethanol from sugar cane and will destroy your liver and pancreas in time..

I was not happy... :mad:

R

Gunship
16th Apr 2005, 07:36
Rhodie mate, similar thing happened to me in a pub in Conakry, Guinea. We had a jol with a local business owner and I actually at one satge saw the barman changing the 2 bottle's of jack Daniels on the shelve.

before long (after many beers) we switched to Jack ... immidiately my host had a sense of humour failure.

He jumped over thecounter and grabbed the barman who immediatly admitted he switched bottles.

They make the "African JAck" in Nigeria and it is 99% perfect.
They take the black plastic wrapping of a normal bottle off with heat and then shrink it back after fitting it out with some rubbush.

The color is slightly off but the smell is horroble - NOT whiskey - but they catch thousands after they are a bit pi$$ed on something else.

I stay on oom Tas now ;)