PDA

View Full Version : Greener grass and all that

The Streets
14th Apr 2005, 14:28
Just a rambling post really but whats peoples experiences of leaving Ops/Crewing and doing something completely different away from Aviation ?

Ive been in Ops for the 9 or so years since I left uni, but yesterday handed my notice in to do something a million miles away from Aviation, maybe it had something to do with turning 30 !!

Just interested to hear others experiences, light hearted of course, and most importantly could you not live without it ??!!

Is there life after CFMU and CAP371 ??

galeforcewind
14th Apr 2005, 15:53
I left for a couple of years because I moved abroad. I came back to the UK and thought I would try and go into a different industry too ( am 30 too!!!!), but....even though I live in gorgeous Cornwall and love it down here I am moving back to gatwick and getting back to aviation. I realise that I am not satisfied with my work here and although my life outside of work is great, my job bores me to tears.

I guess aviation just pulls you in and it's hard to leave, especially if you have grown up with it.

Good luck to you!!

GFW

VIKING9
14th Apr 2005, 18:54
Lets just say that I now fully understand why Britains railways are in such a mess........:mad:

Jelly Baby Freak
16th Apr 2005, 09:06
Left Aviation once from a boring ops job to do an admin role
way outside of the airline industry. Company went t*ts up
and it took me a very long time to get back into aviation.
Now I'm happily back on track!
I guess it gets into your system. As I once said, there are two
main types of people in the industry, Aviation people and
people who work in Aviation.
Seems to me that Aviation People don't really want to be anywhere else! :{

no sig
16th Apr 2005, 10:31
Streets

You won't know until you try I suspect.

cressidom
16th Apr 2005, 13:58
I share the same 'depressing' state....left aviation for some other gig..and now working for a freight forwarder / charter broker..
..I so want to get back into aviation...:{

Oh woe is me...

Opssys
16th Apr 2005, 14:20
Working in Aviation is addictive and like smoking giving it up is easy, staying away from it is hard. The longer your in, the more difficult it is not want to go back. Someone I know was out of the game for two decades, but his back in Operations (after serving some time in Ramp Dispatch).

However it can be done, but whatever you decide to do instead, please accept that in the quiet hours of the night, you will find yourself remembering the good times (but never the bad ones).

I have been lucky in that my career has almost always kept me in touch with the World of Airlines and Airport Operations, but I haven't been a Operations Professional since 1979. But I can hardly say I have escaped the addiction :-)

Whatever you do end up doing, the very best for the future!

JB007
18th Apr 2005, 16:31
So what's the new job your going to Streets ??