PDA

View Full Version : The Ryan Air Warning Thread

High Wing Drifter
14th Apr 2005, 12:56
I was just reading it, about to respond and it had gone! If it was true it is pretty serious and shouldn't be hidden.

scroggs
14th Apr 2005, 13:02
I didn't see it, but I believe it was deleted by the original poster as developments had made it inaccurate.

Scroggs

High Wing Drifter
14th Apr 2005, 13:42
Thanks Scroggs.

Sounds positive.

Heffer
14th Apr 2005, 13:52
Post was by a 250h ab-initio.

He suggested he had been called forward for a sim assessment at EMA directly by Ryanair with the pre-advise that the assessment would cost £150. When he arrived he, along with everyone else, was charged £250 for a 20 min sim slot.

He was then advised by Ryanair that he had passed the sim and to contact the UK TR provider for his self funded type rating. The TRTO subsequently said he was unsuitable for training... at least thats what i recall reading!

RowleyUK
14th Apr 2005, 19:29
This is NOT unknown by Ryanair!!!

Makes you sick!:yuk:

The Red Max
14th Apr 2005, 21:20
What are BALPA or the IPA doing about this? At the very least they should be warning their members about the perils of Ryanair and similar outfits.

African Drunk
15th Apr 2005, 09:46
A friend of mine just attended a sim ride for ryan air, paid the money, passed the sim ride and was then told he was too old. Age limits would be something nice to be told in advance.

Prickie
15th Apr 2005, 15:55
A friend of mine undertook the sim ride and was told £150 but when he got there it was £250. He also passed the sim ride and after a two month wait was told that the training company would not accept him.

He did not get any information why and was fobbed off everytime he tried to speak to either Ryanair or the training company.

You would think that before getting someone in, Ryanair and the training company would have some concensus on what is training material and what is not or are Ryanair making money at £250 for a 20 minute sim ?

It is despicable !

High Wing Drifter
15th Apr 2005, 17:24
If true this is is flipping outrageous!!

If that happened to me I would gladly spend more money doing something about it. There is an accepted phrase to describe this type of activity and it is called "stiffing" (believe it or not). If this is true, it is a typical stiffing situation where the wrong doer relies on the victims shrugging their shoulders and doing nothing more than vowing not to make the same mistake again; it usually means more expense and aggravation to get some satisfaction.

Just thinking about this some more. Shouldn\'t the first port of call be to the CAA? After all we pay them to regulate our training and if people are being exploited I assume the CAA has the power to threaten or ultimately to remove certificates and stuff??

MAX
15th Apr 2005, 18:41
The only thing that shocks me nowadays is the fact that people still get sucked into this bad treatment! All this despite the various threads and warnings?

Not all companies are like this. Be patient and one of the good ones will welcome you soon.

MAX:cool:

eagerbeaver
16th Apr 2005, 11:37
Well, that does sound a little strange, it all depends on how you applied, ie through ryanair direct or through one of the schools. Ryanair direct - you may find they cant be bothered to try and make the arrangements on your behalf and i am aware that the training providers are maxed out putting at least ten guys every 28 days therough the machine, so there is probably not a lot of capacity - there are 200 new jobs created this year fo RYR and they are interviewing 3 days a week at EMA, each day has approx ten people, do the math it will probably add to around 750 people or so probably even more i dont know so it is likely a few people will be swept aside by the never ending wave of eager recruits.
If you want to work you cant do a lot better than ryanair, i earn good money work a stable pattern and will fly brand new aeroplanes.

Anyway dont knock it till you tried it. You pay for everything in life, its just the way its asked of you which changes your perception.

All the best

African Drunk
16th Apr 2005, 12:43
High Wing Drifter

The CAA is unlikely to do anything because pilots being ripped off is outside their remit. Also Ryan air and most of the schools they use are regulated by authorities from other JAA states.

Pilot Pete
16th Apr 2005, 13:14
How about Watchdog?

PP