PDA

View Full Version : New Aer LIngus CEO to be announced today - Ex-Emitarates

Jules Meister
14th Apr 2005, 09:41
Aer Lingus to name new CEO

Aer Lingus is expected to name a new chief executive today when the airline's executive chairman, John Sharman, presents the annual report and accounts for 2004.
Dermot Mannion, an experienced executive with Dubai-based airline Emirates, is expected to take up the position, although Aer Lingus has so far declined to comment.

Mr Mannion, from Sligo, is an accountant with wide experience in the airline business. He is currently president (group support services) at Emirates.

Mr Mannion would succeed Willie Walsh who left Aer Lingus earlier this year. He is to become British Airways chief executive designate next month.

akerosid
14th Apr 2005, 19:15
I'd heard that as well Jules (not doubting the rumour), but unfortunately it didn't happen today. I wish him very well, but I wonder if he's waiting until the announcement of the new aviation package to confirm his acceptance of the new job.

Any executive puts his/her career on the line when taking up a new position, so they want to be sure they have a free hand - and are not held back by stupid regulations. In particular, he'll want to be assured about the airline's future (i.e. privatisation) and the whole Shannon business.

He's been involved in the growth of EK since '87, which has seen incredible growth, from a small fleet of 727s and A300B4s/A310s, to the fastest growing major carrier in the world. Hope he can bring this kind of growth (and quality of service!) to EI. Mind you, I think the readies will be in slightly shorter supply.

And I wonder how he'll fare with unions; that'll probably be the major difference.

lowfaresbuster
14th Apr 2005, 23:01
also the chairman said that EI would introduce new routes to South Africa and Asia, a new big shiny airbus required though?

Cape Town, and Bangkok?

There was a 'scheduled charter' by Slatterys to Cape once a week over the winter, I think it did quite well.

Ireland have good historical links with South Africa.

Where will the money for the new jet come from?

Irish Steve
22nd Apr 2005, 16:34
You heard it here first :D :D

It's now official according to RTE here (http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0422/aerlingus.html)