PDA

View Full Version : Akbar Al Baker does it yet again!!!!

strength
13th Apr 2005, 14:40
It has been brought to my attention that all the QR crew have to be tested for HIV/AIDS on a yearly basis, can anyone comment on this?

All foreign nationals who arrive in Qatar and work have to be screened for HIV/AIDS which I find barbaric - what would the Qataris do if they visited another country to study or work and had to have the same proccedure?

Why oh why does AAB have to get his staff screened for HIV/AIDS every year now?What next?....is he going to get the Qataris screened too when they return from overseas?!

AAB says that Qatar is 'moving on' just like the airline however many people in the civilized world find this 'proceedure' goes agains human rights....oh, forgot, you don't have any rights at QR or in the state of Qatar do you Mr. Al Baker?

comments please...........................

jolie
13th Apr 2005, 14:54
Im starting as cc for Qatar next month,and i had my bloodtests taken today [ and fainted ]. The nurse told me she'd never come across another company in all her 30 years that asked for all these tests,plus its costing me about £350.

strength
13th Apr 2005, 15:20
That's really expensive! Unfortunately you'll have to get another blood test in Doha shortly after you arrive. ... Good luck!

newscaster
13th Apr 2005, 16:17
Even Saudi Arabia will now begin compulsory testing of all expats coming as well as in the country.

I think its a good idea to keep the disease in check and the whole world should adopt it.

Recall reading some where that a new faster swab test has come out in the west in which saliva is taken on a swab from your mouth and its quite accurate, the results are given in a few hours or immediately, I dont know if its being actively promoted in non-western countries, maybe its still under trial.

homesick rae
13th Apr 2005, 16:18
Strength,

I believe it is the norm for most countries to perform these tests for foreign nationals and it is a debatable issue I guess as many people cannot differentate from HIV and AIDS...the USA (and I live there) is one of the worst...calling HIV AIDS! Still, I believe that countries have the right to ensure that no communicable disease is spread by bringing in infected foreign workers, be it HIV/ AIDS/TB or whatever...whatever way that they can be spread.

As far as screening every year, I know that EK used to do the same thing...I do not know if that is true now...company policy is what AAB will call it. Would be interesting to find out if there is a law regarding this in DOH? In other jobs you would be tested upon arrival and that would be that I guess.

I remember changing my sponsor in the UAE, but I did not need to be tested again.

Open to debate.

These are just my comments only and my opinions. The EK comment is fact and was during the period I worked there.

Cheers

HR

Aslak
13th Apr 2005, 18:08
Well, if you need to have for example multiple entry visa for Russian Federation, they want your HIV results everytime.
That is once a year.
And also applies to aircrew.

Yes, it could be a violation of civil rights in some sense, but other way to look at it is that also YOU will know what is your situation.

Even without " risky lifestyle ", I am happy to be tested every year. If for some reason, should I become infected, the last thing I would want is to pass it to someone I love.

Just a though...
;)

Hajj Man
13th Apr 2005, 18:18
Sorry to tell you but thid seems to be the normal tthing in most countries giving expat work permits.

Singapore does it and if you are found to have HIV/AIDS your RP is revoked and you are asked to leave the country.

Hajj Man

Gnadenburg
14th Apr 2005, 01:44
I would have thought male Qatari's touring through South East Asian on business trips ( sex holidays ) a big HIV risk factor.

Screaming "Inshallah" during unprotected intercourse with an Asian sex worker ( male or female ) sadly no defence against HIV-AIDS.

Religious and social sensitivities preclude safe sex education for Arabs.

Flirt Attendant
14th Apr 2005, 08:04
It is the norm to be tested when you arrive in the middle east. Most HIV tests are required by the government in order to qualify for residence permits and work visas. This is usually a one off blood test.

By the sounds of it AAB does strike again, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that once a year testing is policy at QR now. He left me speechless years ago :mad: :mad: :mad:

strength
14th Apr 2005, 11:14
I agree with Gnadenburg: why enforce the QR workforce to yearly blood checks when the locals may be just at risk when travelling abroad - I wander if Mr AAB himself announces his blood test results to all, that is of course if he does!

I have no objection to being screened myself when working abroad but why yearly? I'll never forget a colleague at QR who tested positive for HIV in Doha when I worked for QR - he was arrested, thrown in jail, treated like an animal and deported.

homesick rae
14th Apr 2005, 11:47
Strength, yes I remember that incident too! Sadly, the attitude of several countries is inhumane in cases like this.

However, QR as a company really do not have a cluie when it comes to these types of situations, do they.

Cheers

HR

superman_32
14th Apr 2005, 15:27
Between June 1997 and June 1998, 349 HIV-positive foreigners were deported from Saudi Arabia, according to the Okaz newspaper in Jiddah. The deported people--maids, drivers, and laborers--were all discovered to be infected through the mandatory HIV testing that is required for work permits.

Testing Requirements for Entry into Foreign Countries

An increasing number of countries require that foreigners be tested for Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) prior to entry. It is usually required as part of a medical exam for long-term visitors, i.e. students and workers. The following list of country requirements is based on information available as of July 2004 and is subject to change. Before traveling abroad, check with the embassy of the country to be visited to learn about entry requirements and specifically whether AIDS testing is a requirement. If the list indicates U.S. test results are acceptable and the word “Yes” appears with an asterisk beside it (Yes*) in a particular country, prospective travelers should inquire at the embassy of that country for details (e.g. which laboratories in the United States may perform tests and where to have results certified and authenticated) before departing the United States.

Australia All applicants for permanent residence. Temporary applicants need to declare any illness / condition at time of interview. Any temporary applicant who is likely to come in contact with blood must be tested. Yes*

Bahrain For all foreigners who are seeking work permits No

Belarus All persons staying longer than 3 months Yes

Brunei All persons applying for work permits No

Bulgaria All intending immigrants (and may be required for foreigners staying longer than 1 month for purpose of study or work Yes*

Canada Applicants for permanent resident visa and dependents, foreign nationals who plan to stay longer than 6 months, anyone claiming refugee protection, and those intending to work in an occupation which requires it. Yes*

Central African Republic Anyone seeking residence, work and student permits must submit to a medical exam (which includes an HIV Test) Yes

China, People’s Republic of Foreigners planning to stay for more than 6 months (testing is not required for entry or residency in Hong Kong or Macau) Yes*

Colombia Anyone who is a carrier of HIV needs to present documentation identifying themselves as such No*

Comoros Foreigners planning to work Yes

Cuba Anyone staying over 90 days, excluding diplomats Yes*

Cyprus All foreigners working or studying are tested after entry N/A

Dominican Republic Foreigners planning to reside, study or work No

Egypt Foreigners applying for study, training or work permits (spouses of applicants are exempt) Yes*

Georgia All foreigners staying longer than 1 month Yes*

Greece Only persons arriving to work as legal prostitutes Yes*

Hungary Anyone staying over 1 year, and all intending immigrants (some employers may require workers to be tested) Yes*

India All students over 18, anyone between the ages of 18 and 70 with a visa valid for 1 year or more, and anyone extending a stay to a year or more, excluding accredited journalists and those working in foreign missions Yes*

Iraq Since a new government is forming requirements Are still being determined N/A

Israel Government of Israel reserves the right to refuse entry to someone suspected of being HIV positive N/A

Jordan Anyone staying longer than 3 months No

Kazakstan All visitors staying more than 1 month must present a certificate of an HIV test within 10 days of their arrival Yes*

Korea, Republic of Persons entering on an E-6 visa to be engaged in performance or entertainment activities at tourist hotels and entertainment places Yes

Kyrgyzstan All foreigners, excluding diplomat, staying more than 1 month Yes

Latvia Anyone seeking a residency permit Yes

Lebanon Those planning to reside or work (universities may require testing of foreign students) No*

Libya Those seeking residency visas Yes

Lithuania Applicants for permanent residence permits Yes*

Malaysia Foreigners seeking work permits as unskilled and semiskilled foreign laborers Yes*

Marshall Islands, Republic of the Applicants for residence islands, and work permits Yes*

Mauritius Foreigners planning to work or permanent residence (testing performed upon arrival) No

Micronesia (Federated States of) Anyone applying for a work permit needs to obtain a medical clearance, which may include an HIV test Yes

Moldova Anyone staying more than 3 months Yes*

Montserrat University students and applicants for work and residency Yes*

Oman Those applying for residency No

Panama Women intending to work in prostitution No*

Papua New Guinea Applicants seeking work or residency visas and their dependents Yes

Paraguay Applicants seeking temporary or permanent residency status Yes*

Qatar Applicants seeking residency; if positive they are deported No

Russia Applicants applying for visas valid more than 3 monthsYes*

St. Vincent Applicants seeking temporary and permanent residency visas Yes

St. Kitts and Nevis Students, intending immigrants and anyone seeking employment Yes*

Saudi Arabia Applicants for residency /work permits Yes*

Seychelles Foreigners planning to work must under go a medical exam, which includes an HIV test, upon arrival No

Singapore For all applicants for employment passes, work permits and permanent resident status (except spouses and children of Singapore citizens) No

Slovakia Applicants for long term or permanent residency visas No*

South Africa All mine workers (irrespective of their positions) Yes*

Syria All foreigners (ages 15 to 60 years) staying more than 15 days No*

Taiwan Applicants for residency and work permits (testing is also required for anyone staying over 90 days) No*

Tajikistan Anyone staying more than 90 days (pending legislation) Yes*

Turkey Any foreigner immigrating or applying for permanent residence No

Turkmenistan All foreigners staying longer than 3 months No*

Ukraine Anyone staying longer than 3 months 30 days before arrival

United Arab Emirates Applicants for work or residence permits except those under age 18 Testing on arrival

United Kingdom Anyone who does not appear to be in good health may be required to undergo a medical exam (including an HIV test) prior to being granted or denied entry No*

Uzbekistan Anyone staying more than 15 days (long-term visitors must renew HIV certificate after the first 3 months in Uzbekistan and annually thereafter) Yes*

Yemen Applicants seeking permanent residence including work or study (students over age 16), all foreigners staying longer than 1 month, and foreign spouses of Yemeni nationals (excludes experts, teachers, and foreign missions who are required to work in Yemen) No

* A test performed in the U.S. may be accepted under certain conditions. Check with the destination country’s embassy or representative office in Washington, D.C. for detailed requirements.