PDA

View Full Version : Virgin DIY and online check in

Curious Pax
13th Apr 2005, 14:29
Myself, Mrs CP and CP junior (aged 4 3/4) flew to Miami from Heathrow on Easter Sunday in the care of Virgin. We thought we had everything planned to keep the stress levels to a minimum:

- check the 3 of us in via Virgin's online check in on their website (you can do this 24 hours in advance)

- travel down the night before and stay in the Travel Inn just up the A4 which offers a combined overnight stay and 2 weeks parking

- dump our bags at the right desk in T3, and wander to the gate, avoiding all the money-spending opportunities (Mrs CP may have her faults, but a keenness on shopping isn't one of them!).

Unfortunately the online check in wouldn't let us check in (but didn't say why) - I had a momentary panic that our booking had been lost, but it could still go in and see our seat reservations, so all was well in that respect. No problem thinks I, I know they have those DIY check in kiosks in terminal 3, so we shouldn't have to queue for too long.

However when we arrived at terminal 3 (2 1/2 hours before our flight) chaos reigned. After a couple of misfires we get to the DIY check in, but get the same problem as the online effort (won't do it, doesn't say why). As a result we end up in the regular check in queue (1 queue, a few desks for all flights), where after 90 minutes we got checked in. Fortunately we got the seats we had reserved otherwise I think Mrs CP would have had air rage whilst still in the terminal!

a couple of questions:

does anyone know why we might not have been allowed any automated check in? I wondered if having a youngster in tow might have been the problem, but it is c**p software that doesn't tell you the reason for being rejected.

were Virgin down a few check in staff on Easter Sunday or is it normally like that? I almost had to physically prevent Mrs CP from taking charge (she is a manager, and from what I can tell a pretty good one!). The main source of irritation was that 3 Virgin staff members were running about pulling people from the regular queue to the last minute queue as their time to departure got close. If they had just opened the 3 check in desks that were vacant instead then the queue could have been a lot shorter and no one would have needed moving.

The flights both ways were fine (except why can't airlines manage to carry more chicken dishes? They always run out with loads of people left, which means that either I always travel on flights unusually full of chicken eaters, or whoever estimates the numbers of different meals isn't very good at it!).

Finally - Heathrow. Why? In a country full of very good bulldozers and wrecking balls there surely can be now excuse!! Next time I get offered a £300 fare for a fortnight in Florida during a peak period, 6 weeks before departure when every other date and every other airline is over £500 I ought to think twice!

PAXboy
14th Apr 2005, 01:16
CP: Heathrow. Why? In a country full of very good bulldozers and wrecking balls there surely can be no excuse!! Thanks for that, one of the best laughs I've had all week and this week, I've needed them.

First the obvious questions: Logging on to VS, do you have a registered log in? Did you book on line? Did you book through a 3rd party?

As to the single queue problem. This has been discussed on PPRuNe a few times. As I recall, the reason is money. If you have dedicated desks to a flight you need more desks and the desks at LHR are very expensive as BAA has expensive tastes.

Putting on more agents: This may just have been bad luck on the day, staff ill, delays on the tube, an unfortunate change of shift times etc. Not trying to make excuses but it is impossible to know what the reason is from a single visit. Others who travel more regularly on VS may have an answer. I do not travel as much as I used to. (Which is both good and bad!)

Chicken dishes? Someone fowled up again? :rolleyes:

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Captain Rat
14th Apr 2005, 08:09
Virgin is always short of pax service agents, whether it be at check-in or at the aircraft gates. Especially on arrival when wheelchair passengers, people requiring assistance etc are regularly left waiting for a long time for help. Not unusual to see people waitng 30 -40 minutes for assistance. As to the check in, it is crisis management, draging pax out of the lines as their flight is closing....as the poster said, if all the desks were open then there wouldnt be so many people waiting. The selfservice checkin has been a bit of a nightmare...very few staff trained to use it so if you ask for help....VS do not pay or treat the checkin staff very well so they are always short on numbers...just hope when you arrive it is not busy...

Curious Pax
14th Apr 2005, 09:06
PAXboy: glad to be of help! As far as the online stuff is concerned no, I'm not a registered user (Flying Club member?), but reading through the FAQs that isn't mentioned anywhere. It also lists the exclusion list for who can't check in on line, and we didn't qualify for that, nor should there have been a problem seating at least myself or my wife with CP Jr, as we had reserved seats together, which were honoured when we finally did check in.

However I had the necessary details to be able to access my booking details, so presumably I passed the level of security they need to make sure I was who I claimed to be. I booked via Expedia, but as they supplied the Virgin booking reference then that shouldn't have been a problem.

From the good Captain's comments it sounds like it was largely ops normal as far as the queue was concerned - I suspect that it being Easter Sunday didn't help the absenteeism stats, and indeed the cabin crew outbound were at least 1 short as they apologised for it.

Save a pound, but spend 100 pounds doing it seems to be the standard for most companies of any size these days - it certainly happens where I work. If anyone had the ba**s to compare the amount of money spent on rationalization and change with the amount save I think they'd have a shock. It explains why managers think that being in a state of perpetual change is a good thing, as it means no one can do such a study!

Curious Pax
18th Apr 2005, 10:59
Must have gone up Mike - I paid £120 with Airparks. An ad in the hotel suggested that just a room is something of the order of £60. When booking I had also checked the online price for the long term car park near BA maintenance, and that was £115 for 2 weeks.