View Full Version : NZ's Helen Clark in mid-air scare

Jules Meister
13th Apr 2005, 07:19
From CNN

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- The door to a plane carrying New Zealand's prime minister has blown open mid-flight, forcing the pilot into a sharp descent and emergency landing that left the leader badly bruised, but otherwise unharmed.

The door became dislodged on Wednesday when the aircraft hit turbulence, Prime Minister Helen Clark said after the flight. Two security officers grabbed the open door and held it in place while the pilot guided the plane down to a nearby airport.

Asked what was going through her mind, Clark said it was the question: "Are you going to live or die."

Clark, 55, said she knew her life was in danger as air rushed into the cabin of the twin-engine Piper Aztec, which was en route to the capital, Wellington, from the tourism town of Rotorua in central North Island.

"When the plane plunges like that obviously it is quite shocking. And then when you see the door can't close you know that it is a serious incident. But I had full confidence in the way the pilot handled the matter."

Clark was jolted as the plane dived sharply.

"All of sudden there seemed to be a lot of noise in the plane ... and my arm crashed down on ... the windowsill -- and that was very painful," Clark said.

"Then I noticed ... two policemen struggling to hold on to the door. So that was quite dramatic," she told reporters.

"I think everyone was a little bit shaken, but the (two police) performed superbly."

An X-ray of Clark's arm showed no fracture, her spokesman, Mike Munro, told The Associated press, but "it's badly bruised."

Press secretary Kathryn Street, the only other passenger, said the door flew open "with a great bang and there were papers flying everywhere."

She said Clark was seated at the rear of six-seater's cabin, well away from the door.

Clark had used the charter flight so she could return to Wellington early Wednesday, ahead of commercial flights.

Keith Mackenzie, managing director of airplane charter company Mountain Air, said it was investigating the accident, as were officials at the country's Transport Accident Investigation Commission.

Clark became prime minister in December 1999 and faces a general election before the end of September.

Her ruling Labour Party holds a 13 percentage-point lead in the polls

eal401
13th Apr 2005, 07:40
her life was in danger as air rushed into the cabin
Surely the air should have been rushing out for there to be any danger?

sammypilot
13th Apr 2005, 08:14
Perhaps Tony B.Liar should take note of this form of transport. It would be amazing to see him travelling the country in an Aztec. The New Zealand P.M. obviously has an eye for economy travel.

Piltdown Man
13th Apr 2005, 08:40
Too small. You'd need something the size of the Beluga just to fit his ego.

Flying Bagel
13th Apr 2005, 08:55
Wow. A Piper Aztec. Don't think you see too many heads of state flying in one of those.

Imagine that, rolling out the red carpet for a Piper Aztec... :}

Max Angle
13th Apr 2005, 09:32
Wow. A Piper Aztec. Don't think you see too many heads of state flying in one of those. And with good reason, old, slow, noisy and like most piston twins horribly underpowered on one engine if you are heavy. I would have thought that NZ could have run to a King Air at least.

scanscanscan
13th Apr 2005, 10:03
The Aztec cockpit door opening on take off rotate and in flight was well known in 1965 in the USA and it affected single engine performance when it occured on training flights.
The Aztec I flew in the Bahamas had a common house bolt fitted inside it as a fail safe back up to the manufacturers system.

MOR
13th Apr 2005, 10:59
It normally is a King Air or the 757. Top marks for being economical (and bottom marks for selling the Air Force).

Best foot forward
13th Apr 2005, 16:23
I can remember when they used to fly arounfd the country in C421's. There was a certain satisfaction in being able to point your backside in the face of the PM when closing the door.

currawong
15th Apr 2005, 10:45
Bet she scared the crew more.....

Just by turning up.

:} :} :}

multime
16th Apr 2005, 23:47
miss helen i,ve got bigger ones than you buddy!
look honestly who cares.
we here this all the time.
HORRIFIC light aircraft accident -everyone walked away unijured - media beat up!!
ps- i turned the lights off anyway a long time ago.

Onan the Clumsy
18th Apr 2005, 16:32
but but...I thought an Aztec had the door at the front with the hinge at the front of the door. It's not like say a 402 with a bottom hinged door at the back of the cabin.

THe door came open on my 172 this weekend. I would have called the media...if I'd actually noticed :}