PDA

View Full Version : Will Qantas Pilots take Industrial Action?

spinout
12th Apr 2005, 22:19
With all the talk on various forums regarding the EBA’S that are being negotiated and Qantas’s belligerent attitude toward the 3% only on offer, after giving management 60%. Will we see Pilots taking Industrial action?
:cool:

Buster Hyman
12th Apr 2005, 22:31
If they do, lets hope they can get something written into the award about wearing Camel suits!

Oz Ocker
12th Apr 2005, 22:37
Thats the loaders mate - the pilots are the ones that need boxing gloves!
Yeh yore right spinner, its bl@@dy inequitous and hypercritical that Dicksson an 'is cronies give 'emselves a massive 66% on top of an alredy massive salry and begrudge the people doing all the REAL work anything but something less than inflation!

invertedlandings
12th Apr 2005, 22:45
Not until are Union President doesn't have hiseyes on a Management position............
3% with offsets...joke!!
FAAA got 3% with no offsets...what is it about Pilot & LAMES that QF management is so tight giving wage increases?>

jettlager
12th Apr 2005, 22:49
invertedlandings,

Qf's LHR cabin crew base represents a 10 to 20% loss of income for many of us.

Quite an "offset" I would think.

Kaptin M
12th Apr 2005, 23:06
The FACT of the matter is there is an upcoming pilot shortage, the effects of which are already starting to be noticed overseas.
Japan Air Lines will lose 650 Captains over the next 5 years, due to age retirement - I imagine All Nippon (ANA) are in a similar predicament. And with nowhere near the number of Japanese to replace them, recruitment of foreigners in Japan is now at an all time high.
These are not inexperienced pilots being taken, but guys from the top end of the experience chain.
Additionally, ANA is now recruiting final year students from school - asking them to pay a bond refundable to them once they complete their basic pilot training (with an ANA approved school) and join All Nippon as a staff member.

According to a report, China is going to be short some 8,000 pilots before the end of this decade.

Dixon and other companies might like to stick their heads in the sand NOW - and why wouldn't he, because he's out of QF shortly anyway! - and avoid salary increases that will ensure pilots stay.
But just a few years down the track, the drain from the top - as the experienced guys leave - will see aircraft parked, and services cancelled.

The airlines who HAVE the pilots in the future are the ones that will survive and prosper. But to secure the future, they need to secure their PRESENT pilot workforce, which doesn't necessarily mean large salary increases.
Just a contented workforce.
And imho, Dixon has NOT achieved that.

tinpis
12th Apr 2005, 23:42
Retail toyshop for boomers would be a good business line to explore rather than wanting to fill one of the vacancies .

:p
Someone I know has bought himself a Cessna 180 and I know damn sure he couldnt fly one 35 years ago.

*Lancer*
13th Apr 2005, 00:54
Kaptin M come on, China could start another sausage factory faster than Dixon can say "three million for me, three percent with offsets for you".

An impending shortage isn't necessarily a good thing... if it becomes too difficult governments and airlines will just lower the standards.

blueloo
13th Apr 2005, 01:21
No, there is no chance the pilots will take industrial action, they are too busy fighting amongst themselves, and the union is for all intents and purposes useless

WaldoPepper
13th Apr 2005, 03:30
I would have thought that a shrinking workforce of pilots will play into the hands of GD. As more "top end" earners leave and QF Domestic & International shrinks this leaves the door open to expand Jet* (with it's lower operating costs).

Over a number of years (20-30), QF will be a much smaller workforce, Jet* will be huge. Result = QF wage structure much lower = better for shareholders.

rtforu
13th Apr 2005, 03:43
Somehow, I can't see the industrial action happening

The_Cutest_of_Borg
13th Apr 2005, 04:03
Qf's LHR cabin crew base represents a 10 to 20% loss of income for many of us.

Jetlagger, can you qualify that? Surely the loss of one port simply means you spend more time in other ports? Or are we talking OT here? Still, 10-20 % from the loss of OT going to London? .. seems an awful lot to me.

PS, not having a go here.. just intrigued.

PPS, with the current regime at AIPA, not a chance.(More's the pity)

jettlager
13th Apr 2005, 11:14
The C.O.B,

Biscuit Chucker has it about right.
Those who have traditionaly done LHR trips face a loss of long range allowance, overtime, ODTA and meal allowances.

The trips left for us all generally short and thus provide little to none of the above.

Our southbound SIN slips have been reduced to 24 hours on FRA patterns.

The LHR slip on our one remaining pattern has been reduced to 38 hours.

These and other recent changes that I wont bore you with, show that it is now getting "personal".

I can hardly wait for the northern hemisphere winter so I can refuse a reduced slip ex LHR.

As far as most of the longhaul CC are concerned, our hand of friendship has been well and truly withdrawn.

Cheers,
Jettlager

Zed
13th Apr 2005, 13:38
Jet * offered the same 3%, $133000 to fly a 320.

John Citizen
13th Apr 2005, 21:57
Zed said : Jet * offered the same 3%, $1330000 to fly a 320.

That' awesome, $1.3 million !!:ok:

Eimar Moron
13th Apr 2005, 22:19
Or $13,300.00 - that's per annum by the way! :(