PDA

View Full Version : Moto GP

Erwin Schroedinger
12th Apr 2005, 19:15
Moto GP. The motorbike equivalent of Formula 1.

That's where the similarity ends! This is racing with a capital R!

Last weekend saw one of the most exciting finishes to any motor race I think I've seen in the last ten years. Last season was superb. Like any racing, it's occasionally average, but on average this is brilliant!

The guy to watch is one Valentino Rossi. He's a magician on a bike and a character off. His favourite victims are Sete Gibernau and Max Biaggi, who are amongst the few who can sometimes keep up!

Sunday 17th is the next race. UK BBC2 (would you believe). Worth getting into. :ok:

candoo
12th Apr 2005, 19:32
Was a poll on TalkSport earlier this week about the best sporting event of the weekend.

The Masters? was fantastic made me very tired Monday.
Barcelona - Madrid? fantastic game
Barnet getting promoted - the winner by miles in my eyes!!!

Or the massive winner Moto GP - will have to pay more attention.

phnuff
12th Apr 2005, 19:42
Rossi sure gives everything - he won by barging the other guy out the way on the final which was questionable but very exciting.

mikedurward
12th Apr 2005, 20:20
:ok: AHHA the summer sun and the smell of 2 stroke. OOOPPPSSS sorry they have changed to 4 stroke now.

I used tofind that the 125 class gave more entertainment. Or the BSB, British Superbikes.

If you have time and the inclination pop down to your local BSB track during the sumer. Find a good corner to stand at and then watch these guys swapping paint at some silly speeds.........
Never fails to set the pulse racing.

SSSOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN F1 !!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

fleigle
12th Apr 2005, 22:51
They are coming to us this year, in July, can't wait.
Wheeeeee !:ok:

Blacksheep
13th Apr 2005, 05:05
Barging? Who barged who? Pass if you can, but the inside has it every time - rules is rules and all that... ;)

Orange Arm Waver
13th Apr 2005, 07:03
One of the few times I've found myself stood up yell encouragement at the TV is the MotoGP series...

That was a racing incident last weekend. The gap was there Gibernau turned in a bit too late and had no where to go other than into the handlebars of Rossi's bike & the kitty litter. At least he still finished 2nd...

That man Rossi is, as people have said on here, a magician...
I've watched in races lead drop back to about 8th/9th and then storm back up to win comfortably...

Census boy
13th Apr 2005, 08:09
No comparison between Moto GP and Formula 1. Give me the likes of Rossi, Biaggi,Gibernau anyday. Can't see the Schumacher fan club setting up a portaloo on the edge of the track and the star coming out dressed as Superman afterwards as Valentino did recently! Always watch bikes rather than the cars on TV. Only thing on tv though is you don't realise how fast they are really travelling. Did feel sorry for Gibernau on Sunday but Rossi saw the chance and went for it ,the consensus of everyone was that it was a "racing incident". I'm sure Sete would have done the same if the positions had been reversed.

Stoney X
13th Apr 2005, 08:28
Now that the Moto GP season has started you can pretty much guarantee I'll not be seen away from the telly on a Sunday. While the BBC now cover the races, they can't compare to the coverage on British Eurosport. They start coverage during the morning warmup session of the Moto GP class and don't end until after the final race. That's almost 6 hours of the best racing action you'll ever see!

Nice to see some fellow fans on here. I've always been a Honda fan and find it hard to support Rossi after his defection. Hopefully Biaggi and Gibernau will give him a run for his money this year, or Melandri, or Nicky, or Barros, or Tamada, etc. If you look for the second Yamaha it makes you realise just how good Rossi really is.

Regards
Stoney

feet dry
13th Apr 2005, 12:38
Rossi's machine control and reactions are superhuman

MotoGP, WSB or BSB beat F1 by a large margin....thank god that the season is here again!!

SuperOwl
13th Apr 2005, 19:49
I had a Rossi/Gibernau type incident on my way to work this morning.

Road splits into two lanes just before a left hand bend and there's me on my Bandit in the nearside lane, the V:mad:vo that was behind me decided to overtake and is now alongside me in the outside lane as we enter the bend. Unlike Rossi, I have both feet on their respective pegs and I am NOT about to run wide then Volvo Gibernau decides to square off the bend and end up in my lane at the apex.

There was no physical contact thankfully but needless to say, my poor heart was pounding away. What made it worse was that he had one of those fish symbols stuck to his boot.

From the SuperOwl GP to Moto GP, can't wait for Estoril this weekend as Gibernau reckons he'll be racing fit. Looks like this season is going to be based on the Rossi v Gibernau feud but hopefully Biaggi will get up there now he has a works Honda. Malandri also looks like a good prospect along with Hayden and some people in the know think that the boy Hopkins could be surprising a few people this year.

Are any Prooners going to the Donington round?

maxman
14th Apr 2005, 20:06
Probably going on the Thursday, if it's like past years. It's a charity day, ten quid to get in, meet the riders, auctions and other stuff to keep you amused, bargain.
Saturday qualifying is a great day out too:ok:

Orange Arm Waver
18th Apr 2005, 10:10
Good win by Barros this weekend...
Shame in some ways we didn't get to see the flag to flag rule actually actioned by some riders.
Looks like could be another good season ahead this year...

joe2812
18th Apr 2005, 12:44
As a Suzuki man i'm never happy to see Yamahas and Hondas up front, however what an opening to the season!!!

First race was superb, the last 3 or 4 laps in particular, absolutely incredible.

Last Sunday's race in Portugal again superb with Barros getting a well deserved win. Was a shame to see Gibernau go off but risk you take as race leader when the heavens open!
Rossi's control on the rare occasions his back end went sideways was incredible, a complete master on the bike.

I have to agree it was a shame not to see the new wet-weather rules in action, I look forward to seeing a bunch of new bikes piling out the pit-lane together!

Also nice to have a place to go where others have such good taste in sport...tried to bring the topic up at college today to a chorus of 'what? who? did you see the FA cup...!'

Bring on the rest of 2005!

Erwin Schroedinger
18th Apr 2005, 19:21
The sporadic drizzle and the new "Flag to Flag" regulation, forcing riders to stay out in this case, certainly added extra spice to the racing at Estoril. How the riders judge a safe pace in those conditions is beyond my biking ken. There was lots of "armchair bum clenching" from me, that's for sure!

Looking forward to seeing the new flag-to-flag rule being fully applied, though I see the potential for a chaotic lottery. Time will tell.

Rossi must practice pommel horse gymnastics on a bike at home -- how he stays on after some of his twitches I'll never understand! :}

Some really great venues to come this season! Next stop Shanghai on 1st May!

Can't wait! :D

Orange Arm Waver
19th Apr 2005, 06:52
My other half watched for the first time this weekend and has stated that after all those views of Rossi's rear she'll be watching again - Going to have to watch her.:oh:

His control of that bike whilst sliding all over the place was amazing - how he stayed on...