PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest usable broadband?

jafo33
12th Apr 2005, 13:26
There's a lot in the papers today about broadband prices coming down - in fact one company is now offering 512k for under £10 pm.

However when you look closer quite a few of these deals have a catch or two. Limited monthly downloads, restricted access time, only available in London etc..

Has anyone found a good deal for high speed, unlimited use that doesn't require you to have cable (NTL) and is reliable too?

(And please no-one even mention AOL!)

mikedurward
12th Apr 2005, 14:27
Hiya

I use Tiscali. The prices are falling all the time. I live in Scotland and have NEVER had any problems with their service.

Mike

Evo
12th Apr 2005, 14:48
There seem to be some very cheap no-catch offers in areas where providers can provide their own service thanks to Local Loop Unbundling (LLU), rather than having to pay BT Wholesale (e.g. this article on ADSLguide.org.uk (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2194)). However, there also seem to be plenty of companies offering services at close to - or even below - wholesale prices. This shouts "what's the catch" to me, because it's hard to see how they can make money...

jafo33
12th Apr 2005, 16:58
Thats what I've seen on some. Usually it's ridiculously small download limits so if you like downloading music or films its useless.

Another one was offering access but limited to off-peak times. If you wanted to use it during the day the price doubled!

For example Tiscali seem good, but their 1Mbps at £15.99 ( the same price as 512Mbps) only allows 2GB a month! You'd need to pay £20pm to get their 15GB limit.

PPRuNe Pop
12th Apr 2005, 17:47
Agree on Tiscali. However, UK Online who now offer £9.99, if you live in the area they can unbundle BT lines, have no limits for a 1mb download. They charge £19.99 if you require 2mb downloads but still no limits.

I am changing from Pipex. I was going to do it today as a matter of fact but I will wait a week or so to see who offers what. Something that is almost certain to happen I would have thought. ;)

Evo
13th Apr 2005, 04:40
Pop, it might be worth seeing what Pipex do. I've used their 512Mbs unlimited service for a bit over three years now, and they've just told me they're upping it to a faster service for free - suddenly makes them good value again. Plus the service, when i've needed it, has been pretty good.

PPRuNe Pop
13th Apr 2005, 06:24
Yeah, Pipex are good and my daughter was given an upgrade to 1mb for free only two weeks ago! But if others are going to drop their price to over half that of Pipex, with same deal in speed and no limits, I think I will be changing.

Its a mini war right now and the greedy ones will have to review their position. Anyway, I have fired off a mail to ask a few questions. I will let you know what they say.

BOAC
13th Apr 2005, 07:38
Having finally finished my 12 month penance with AOL, I have been with 'ADSL4less' for over a month now. Good setup, free support - only by email (telephone calls charged) -, NO limit on download, 1 month contract only and £14.99 'migration fee' plus £14.99 a month if you do not need a modem. Performance excellent, no drops, and good speeds (512, higher available).

I suspect, however, the price war is just beginning, so my advice is to shop around (Evo's link is an excellent one), pick the one that 'suits you sir' and do NOT choose anything wth more than a 1 month 'lock-in' in order to leave yourself 'mobile'.

boeingbus2002
13th Apr 2005, 21:44
One thing i was curious about was the effect of the uptake of these deals. If these companies suddenly received a surge in sign ups, surely that would result in some drop in the speed due to contention ratios?!
There are so many companies now its mind boggling!

spekesoftly
14th Apr 2005, 08:12
With other ISP prices seemingly set to fall, it looks as though I might have picked the wrong moment to sign up with Pipex broadband, just a few weeks ago! Whilst their minimum contract period is only one month, they do charge a £58-75 cancellation fee during the first 12 months - but fair enough, given that there was no set-up fee etc. As a new customer, I started from day one with the 'up-graded' Solo package which provides 1Mbps for £23-44/month, although I invariably see speeds of 2Mbps plus. (As our local exchange has only recently been ADSL enabled, I suspect that my contention ratio is low at present; future increased take-up may see that change).

We have been very impressed with Pipex, right from day one. Their ordering process was quick and efficient, and they had me painlessly connected three days ahead of schedule (for which I suppose I must also give some begrudging credit to BT for their part!). Having subsequently added a wireless router, broadband is now available throughout the house, and the whole family is delighted. So even though Pipex may now look expensive compared to some, I'm a very satisfied customer.

Evo
14th Apr 2005, 14:50
In the time I've been with Pipex I've never had a problem with contention; maybe if I cared about ping times etc. i'd notice it, but the transfer speed never seems to dip.

Speedpig
14th Apr 2005, 15:18
I use BT!
Strange, I know.
I get 2mbps for the same price as I was paying for 512mbps.
At the moment, it's £26.99/month with no restrictions whatever and 11 email addresses.... we all need 11.
There are cheaper, more restrictive packages available but I've never had any problems at all.
I am probably the only person I know to be " a happy BT user"
I think the BT price starts at £14.99 with huge restrictions. Read the small print carefully on any package. If you don't mind only downloading half a track or half a pic then it doesn't matter.
I use Vatsim for long periods and none of the restrictive packages suit long connection times. My broadband is connected 24/7 as I usually forget to log off.
With higher speed connections, be careful to ensure firewall and anti virus connected at all times.
My anti virus software crashed and I got 182 infected files within about 10 mins of "unprotected" connection.

Keef
14th Apr 2005, 16:46
I've been with Pipex for years, and they have performed well. They are still high on the ADSLguide performance list.

I now get 2MB/s for £23.44 a month, and have no cause for complaint. I have no immediate desire to change provider.

Now, if I could find a cheap provider for the cottage in Norfolk where I use the Internet only sporadically...

timmcat
14th Apr 2005, 21:37
Hmmm - Tiscali. Loads of complaints about them, and, once you have signed up and you can access the Broadband support forums, things don't get much better - there are an awful lot of unhappy customers out there. However - I'm paying £15.99 for a 30Gb monthly allowance (combined up/download) on a 512 service and I have no problems whatsoever. Really good service. reliable speeds and ping rates. If you do suffer problems however, customer service (Indian call centre) is useless. The only way of getting things done is to post on the forum and the guys in there generally sort issues quickly.

Splat
17th Apr 2005, 10:27
Been with Pipex for a couple of years now, no complains, but they seem a bit pricey compared to others. I'm considering changing to Toucan, and I have given Pipex 30 days.

In conversation with them, they harp on about quality of service, and specifically the lack of it with other providers.

My question is, has anyone had any experience of Toucan? Do Pipex have a point? I estimate to save around £10 a month by switching as there is a phone deal that I can also take advantage of.

Cheers

Splat

PPRuNe Pop
17th Apr 2005, 10:31
I too have written to Pipex. I have asked them why they offered so many people free upgrades and not to others! My daughter, who I indtrocuced to them 4 months ago, has been upgraded to 1mb. I have been with them since January '03 and not a word! :mad:

Can't fault their service though.

Splat
17th Apr 2005, 10:48
Yes, my feelings too.

As always, when I cancelled with them they offered me an update on the spot, two months free rental as well. It realy peeves me off when companies don't look after their existing customers.

My Mobile phone company, who share a colour with EJ, is the same. I ask for an upgrade that they offer new customers, only to be told it's not available to existing customers. Next, I cancel my account, and surprise surprise, the deals available.

Cheers

Splat

spekesoftly
17th Apr 2005, 11:15
My understanding is that Pipex are phasing in the free upgrades to existing customers over Spring/Summer 2005. I believe you can 'jump the queue', for a fee of £15-00 !

Presumably it takes time to check existing installations are suitable for upgrade, but with competitors' prices falling, they had better get a move on.

Keef
17th Apr 2005, 11:38
My understanding was that the speed upgrade isn't from Pipex or the ISP at all, but BT upgrading their bit. You get the 1MB/s as soon as BT put it in.

I opted for the £15 one-off to get to 2MB/s, and it's brilliant!

I didn't realise Pipex have customer service - last time I tried to contact them (a couple of years ago) I got nobody on the phone but a machine telling me I was in a queue. I e-mailed, and got an autoresponse and nothing further.

However, reliability is very high, so I've been happy. I've not seen any cheaper offers from anyone with a decent rating on ADSLguide.

WG774
17th Apr 2005, 12:30
Just to add diversity of opinion: I've been with Demon for over 2 yrs now. I use the (no longer offered I believe) "Express Solo" package which gives me 576kbps for £24.99 per month...

Customer service is excellent - as long as it's in business hours you usually get through to a human within 3 or 4 minutes.

Reliability is good, which makes me reluctant to change, even though the package doesn't look brilliant value compared to newer ISP offers...

1mb or 2mb would be nice, but Demon is reliable and support is good... What to do....

Cheers!

Evo
17th Apr 2005, 16:33
Keef - I can only assume you got them on a bad day. I've been in touch maybe half a dozen times in the last three years, almost always to get them to prod BT into sorting out a fault upstream, and i've always got through to a competant human within a couple of rings.

PPRuNe Pop
17th Apr 2005, 17:31
Keef, really interested in what you say. But my daughter and I share the same exchange number - so the argument is that they have already done it on an exchange which has been 'BT'd.'

I think I will try the threat tomorrow! :E

spekesoftly
17th Apr 2005, 18:46
But my daughter and I share the same exchange number

Pop,

Are you certain that you and your daughter share the same BT Exchange Code, and not just the same five digit dial code?

For example, Caterham and Upper Warlingham have the same (01883) dial code, but different BT Exchange Codes - LSCTHM and LSUWAR respectively.

This Link (http://www.plus.net/support/adsl/bt_speed_upgrade_programme.pdf) may also be of interest.

PPRuNe Pop
19th Apr 2005, 21:16
Just heard today that we do share the same exchange - and I have heard that an order has gone into BT and I should have 1mb in the next 5-7days. So, we wait. But I really do hope so.

Shows what you can achieve when you give someone a flea in their ear! :E

Gouabafla
20th Apr 2005, 12:11
I use Nildram. They are not cheap about twenty six quid for a 2 MB service (with a 50 gig limit). But they are excellent. I've had to use the help line twice in four years and each time they have been quick and very helpful.

I work from home and need the internet for work and would rather pay a bit more for something I know is going to be reliable.