PDA

View Full Version : Those Wristbands

tilly666
12th Apr 2005, 14:17
Does anyone know where you can buy or order those wristbands that everyone seems to be wearing at the minute?

I keep meaning to find out what they are for, as they come in loads of colours (yellow, pink, white, black, blue) and I know they are for charity??

TA x

ex cabin crew
12th Apr 2005, 14:21
There are lots on ebay - www.ebay.co.uk - do a search for wrist bands and they will come up.

Big Tudor
12th Apr 2005, 14:25
JJB Sports sell them, although they are quite often sold out!

itsinthebag
12th Apr 2005, 14:27
tilly666 - they are indeed for charity - but beware - they have become so 'trendy' (not) that there are bogus 'charities' out there flogging these bands and taking the money for themselves. Better, I feel, to give but without the recognition. They're a little vulgar. IMHO. x

jb_flyer
12th Apr 2005, 14:54
The yellow bands are for the LIVESTRONG charity, Lance Armstrongs cancer pursuit (http://www.laf.org/)

There are many many many fraudulant livestrong wristbands going about the place, many of which are blatant profit mongering. The LAF is a non profit organisation which is founded by perhaps the worlds most famous cancer survivor.

All of which has not much to do with Cabin Crew...

JB

LGW Vulture
12th Apr 2005, 15:13
The Black and White bands are a Nike product. "Stand Up Speak Up" is the slogan to stop racism in sport, esp. football.

Whilst the proceeds to go to associated charities, the very fact that most if not all advertisements have the Nike logos with Nike branded Stars wearing them, makes one feel a tad circumspect.

tilly666
12th Apr 2005, 16:24
Does anyone know if theres a 'genuine' one for HIV/Aids?

Have done a quick searcon internet and ebay but there are hundreds of colours and I suspect that most are actually fraudulent ones!

jb_flyer
12th Apr 2005, 16:48
Any cycling fans out there would notice most of the 2004 Tour de France peleton were wearing the Livestrong yellow band. And the new 2005 Discovery channel team jersey has a yellow band on the sleeve as a Livestrong thing. Also $500 from each Limited Edition Trek Livestrong bike goes direct to the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

Cycling is a HUGE sport in the world, has the largest veiwer numbers of any annual event (The Tour of France) and all those athletes wore Livestrong bands purely for supporting the charity. But Nike? well... you have to wonder dont you...

Big Tudor
12th Apr 2005, 16:51
tilly
Might get some info from Terrence Higgins Trust website (www.tht.co.uk) . They are a a good source for anything about HIV/AIDS.

McAero
12th Apr 2005, 18:10
The Motherwell FC faithful up in Scotland have a claret and amber coloured band which says "live the dream", to support their youth academy. Obviously not a charity like "livestrong" but certainly saves punters paying over the odds for other merchandise to support the club (which just came out of administration not so long ago).

sla
12th Apr 2005, 22:47
The white wristbands are for the Make Poverty History campaign. These can be purchased online or from oxfam shops.

Big Tudor
13th Apr 2005, 00:28
McAero
Being a Dons supporter I wouldn't buy one of yer wristbands if me life depended on it! ;)

McAero
13th Apr 2005, 00:39
I wouldn't buy one of yer wristbands

Neither would I mate..........I'm a true bhoy at heart :)

Jerricho
17th May 2005, 16:24
The current Kylie thread reminded me of this one.

Just how many of them bloody wrist bands are out there now. There's those mentioned mere, but I have seen Tsunami ones, "Save the planet", "End Global Warming" and "Save Plazbot" ones.

Now, if the proceeds are truely going to charity, that's all well and good, but buying them from eBay?!?!? WTF?

joe2812
17th May 2005, 16:27
I bought 2 racism wristbands for £1.50 each from JJB, one for me and one my sister... when I got home she already had one so stuck mine on eBay.

Some Italian living in Wales bought it for £20 +p&p.

Profit!! :}

PPRuNe Radar
17th May 2005, 16:27
Neither would I mate..........I'm a true bhoy at heart

Then you'll already have your green Jinky Johnstone band ?? ;)

Evanelpus
17th May 2005, 16:33
Dorothy Perkins are selling the pink ones for breast cancer. My partner bought one for the sum of £1 (at least that's what she told me, seems awfully low to me but there you go).

AirYard
17th May 2005, 17:22
According to a times article I read:P

Yellow - Lance armstrong foundation, live stong (cancer)

Red - HIV/AIDS

Blue - Beat Bullying

Black & White - Racism

Pink - Breast Cancer

lots more, including black bracelets, for bands against people wearing bands!!

then lots of nike ones etc...

actually ordered the livestrong yellow ones for a big hockey festival, pay up front, sell them , then make another big donation after :D all for a good cause:ok:

Unwell_Raptor
17th May 2005, 20:08
It's a bit like back-to-front baseball caps. A certain sign that the wearer is a conformist and a plonker.

SyllogismCheck
17th May 2005, 20:18
Isn't it marvellous though!

How many of those conformist plonkers would have donated a few quid to charity instead of spending it on adding yet another w:mad:k Burberry item to their wardrobe otherwise?

Someone got it right. Well done them I say! :ok:

Jerricho
17th May 2005, 20:21
another w**k Burberry item

The Burberry wristband will aid wrist support..........so I'm told :E

FLCH
17th May 2005, 20:36
Oh come come now Jerricho !!

scrubed
17th May 2005, 21:13
Black & White - Racism That's a bit racist. What about all the brown, yellow and red skins out there......

hingey
17th May 2005, 21:15
Its a bit like the whole hoody thing in Kent.

Wearing a black and white wrist band doesn't exactly stop people being racist. While the other colours may be genuinely charitable, what does this 'anti- racism' charity spend the moeny on? Its not like they need to desegregate the football stands or anything.

h

Jerricho
17th May 2005, 21:40
Oh come come now Jerricho

:E :E

Mr Chips
18th May 2005, 00:29
It's a bit like back-to-front baseball caps. A certain sign that the wearer is a conformist and a plonker.

I so love generalist comments - more of them please!

I wear a yellow band (testicular cancer), a pink band (breast cancer)and a white band (make poverty history) - and I wear them proudly. if it raises awareness, if it makes people think, if it makes some money for charity - then great. And yes, they DO make people ask, which DOES lead to awareness.

I did chuckle about the beat bullying ones though. Apparently they were so rare/sought after that the bullies simply stole them off other kids!(yes I know bullying is no laughing matter, but oh the irony!)

As for baseball caps backwards.. protects your neck from sunburn - which can lead to skin cancer....

Hoping
18th May 2005, 01:19
I am interested in the awareness that you are raising by wearing your bands.

A guy I know wears a yellow one which prompted me to ask what particular issue his band pertained to. He told me that it was "for testicular cancer". However, I feel no more or less aware of testicular cancer than I did before.

On the other hand, in the absense of his yellow band, if my friend had asked me to sit down for five minutes and have a little chat about testicular cancer I would (if he knew anything about it to tell) feel a great deal more aware than I do now.

Of course, if I really wanted to be aware (and some day this might happen) I could make myself aware by doing research.

My question is, if your main aims are to raise awareness and funding for a charity, would it not be MUCH more effective to talk to people about the issue and urge them to talk to others about it and so on?

I fear that these bands are just another product of mass-consumption for our mindless people. An opportunity for many people to "show they care", in many cases without doing a single thing other than spending £1 on a band.

What do you think?

Speedpig
18th May 2005, 02:00
My question is, if your main aims are to raise awareness and funding for a charity, would it not be MUCH more effective to talk to people about the issue and urge them to talk to others about it and so on?
Answer: No. No-one listens but they will wear a dumb wristband. You ARE more aware of testicular cancer because you enquired about the wrist band. You would probably not have thought to ask, and your friend would not have thought to tell, if you handn't wondered about the band. The band has at least raised the subject for discussion.

I fear that these bands are just another product of mass-consumption for our mindless people. An opportunity for many people to "show they care", in many cases without doing a single thing other than spending £1 on a band.

Is there a wrist band for destitute parents?
My two young sons are in competition with esch other as to which can render me penniless the quickest. At last count they had eleven each (bands). At the ages of 7 & 9 I'm not convinced that they are fully commensurate with the issues raised by each band.

tall and tasty
1st Jul 2005, 16:39
I was a little sceptical when these bands came out as not all the money goes to the charity. In some instances only 75 pence if the band cost £1.99. but saying that I would rather go and donate the £1.99 to the charity and know they are getting all the money.

Or that is how I thought when this thread first appeared.

We went to one of the big theme parks last weekend and my daughter asked if she could use some of her pocket money on a band to keep a child alive. The bands are red. So I said to her ok darling if you would like to.

She bought 3 of the bands using most of her week's pocket money allowance. She then handed me a band and said please wear this mummy. What do you do say no I don't believe in showing off the fact I have donated to charity.

I wear it now. The reason because of this

You ARE more aware of testicular cancer because you enquired about the wrist band. You would probably not have thought to ask, and your friend would not have thought to tell, if you hadnít wondered about the band. The band has at least raised the subject for discussion.

friends ask me what it is for, want to know where to get one and even people have stopped me in the street and ask which charity it is for.

More and more of these simple things will make the causes they are portraying become a public awareness thing.

I am very proud of my daughter.

TnT :p

Standard Noise
1st Jul 2005, 16:55
TnT - very laudable of your daughter, one so young wanting to help others is wonderful, but for most older children ie teens and above, or even adults, it has become something of a fashion statement (LOOK AT ME!!! I BUY CHARITY WRISTBANDS COS I CARE!!!).
Noisy jnr (14yo) thinks I'm as tight as a duck's a**e because I refuse to buy such items. I just let him get on with it. He doesn't see me donating (or rather 'Gift Aid'ing) at the cancer charity shop/ local animal rescue centre etc.
But if they really are about raising awareness (rather than cash for the money grabbing w**kers who purport to be selling them for 'charidee'), then why do they need to be sold to raise awareness for things that are so high profile like cancer or poverty. Why not for smaller charities or causes who need the exposure? Both my parents died from different forms of cancer, I don't need 'charity' wristbands raising my awareness about it.

flapsforty
1st Jul 2005, 17:39
Kids like Noisy Jr & 40 Jr (almost 17) will spend money to show they are fashion conscious, to show they are not old fuddly-duddlies and to be 'hip'.
Also, while our generation perhaps thinks it's ostentatious (that the right word?) and show-offish to proclaim that one has donated to charity, the young ones are far less self conscious than we are in most areas.
So if they spend some of their pocket money/hard earned cash on these bands, contribute to a good cause and for once are able to feel good and vituous without running the risk of being labelled 'nerdy' by their peers, more power to Lance Armstrong for coming up with the idea I say. :ok:

will he or won't he win the Tour for the last time this year?

Onan the Clumsy
1st Jul 2005, 20:55
My local supermarket is selling blue ones to combat prostate cancer. I was tempted to ask where you were supposed to wear them.

henry crun
1st Jul 2005, 22:56
No point in yielding to temptation Onan, the bands I have seen are not big enough to be worn there. :)